A Question About Uninstalling Programs On My Computer?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by regotheamigo, Aug 10, 2006.

1. regotheamigo

regotheamigo Member

How's it going? I just got this software called EZ Drummer, and it says that I need 1,5 GB of free disc space, and wanted to know if its ok to get rid of a few things I don't use on my computer that may be taking up to much disc space? As far as right now, I have 0.99 gb of free space and the total that my computer holds is 9.76 gb. I am constantly told that my disc space is low, so I go to clean things out of the temporary internet files etc, and that doesn't seem to do much? Anyway these are the files that I either don't know what they are, or never use them. I have been busting out a bunch of music on Cubase lately, and I just want to use my computer for that so what ever helps it run the smoothest I'm down for granted its safe to remove them, and my computer isn't going to go to hell in a hand basket if I do [​IMG] Anyway here is a list of things that I could get rid of.

1.Microsoft office (this takes up 21300 mb of ram) I have never used this nor do I think I ever will.
    2. disk keeper pro edition? no idea what this is
    3.macromedia flash player? no clue what this is
    4.msn music assistant?
    5.quicktime? if this is to play music I use the window's wave stuff instead
    6 syncrosoft emu?
    7. syncrosoft license control?

Also if there are any other things on computers that you think might be slowing it down or eating up space, let me know. Thanks

2. Kappy

Kappy Member

1. You never use Word? Don't people sometimes send you annoying and unfunny attachments with Word docs (that usually contain viruses too)? :D But if you only do recording on this PC, it's okay to kill.
    2. Diskkeeper is a defragmentation utility for keeping your hard drive healthy. It's helpful, but the native defragmenter in Windows XP is a light version of diskkeeper anyway, it should be okay to delete if you're running XP. If you're running an earlier version of Windows, you might want to keep it and schedule it to run periodically. Your PC will run better.
    3. Flash player is for all that annoying web animation stuff that all bands think is cool (next to posing against a brick wall) --even though it's been completely passe and lame for the last 5 years. You'll want the flash player to see about 15% of the web graphics out there (maybe more). I think youtube is flash. Again, if you don't use this PC to surf the web, you can probably kill it (unless it's needed for some recording software, but I doubt it).
    4. Nuke it!
    5. quicktime is cool for seeing vids other people post in quicktime format.
    6. Don't know
    7. Related to 6., still don't know.

Good luck!

P.S. 10GB hard drive in 2006? Dude! You can get a 250GB hard drive for like $65. now.

3. ChrisB

ChrisB Member

Even if you remove all those apps you are not going to re-claim much space.

I take it the other 8.5G is taken up with large sound files. You really should invest in a larger hard drive as they are relatively cheap these days.

4. regotheamigo

regotheamigo Member

Thanks guys. Yeah that's exactly what I am gonna do. I'm going to Fry's today and get me a new hard drive.

5. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

Simply have two drives...no need to replace the original. Install the program on your new spare drive.