A question for anyone that owns the Mojave Peacemaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by regotheamigo, Jul 29, 2005.

1. regotheamigo

regotheamigo Member

Is there anyway to get rid of that high mid, trebley tone? It didn't matter what I did, from rolling of the tone knobs on my strat, to maxing out the bass, or putting the treble to zero if had that mid crunchy kind of sound to it. There is nothing wrong with that, because it is based around the whole Van Halen thing, but thats not my cup of tea. I am going more for the flatter smooth sound with more bottom end like E.J and this amp just doenst seem to have that in it. If you guys have any pointers to get me there I would appreciate it. I have always heard that this amp is kind of a one trick pony, and what it does it does well, but this just isn't the pony I want to ride on, but to be fair I have only had it one day, maybe with some overdrive or fuzzes added to the mix i can fatten it up some. Thanks for your help :)

2. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

You need a different amp.......call Greg Germino.

3. regotheamigo

regotheamigo Member

Thats funny you bring that up. I did call Greg, and was told that it could take up to 3 months to get an amp from him. Thats fine if they are really worth it, but he told me to call my local dealer and go threw them. I did that and he has not gotten back with them, so just got tired of twiddling my thumbs and found a great deal on the Peacemaker head and Cab. Unfortunetly I don't think it was a great deal for me. This amp just doenst seem to be my thing:( I am sure most guys would like it though, because its got that crunchy bite to it like AC/DC or Van Halen.

4. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Germino Classic 45 or Komet 60. That will get you that fat, round, woody tone. They won't give you the early 80's piercing tone, thank gawd!!

London is also pretty fat. Your speakers might have a lot of high end so maybe some Greenbacks might tame the high end a bit.

5. * velcro-fly *

* velcro-fly * Supporting Member

Reagan -

If thats the one from GC, no sweat - take it back for a full refund..that's the beauty of their return policy :D

On the other hand - this is one of the baddest plexis type amps out there and I think you owe it to yourself to spend some time with it. I for one have no problem getting EJ tones out of it - and thats comparing examples of his playing going back to the Electromagnets.....you willl need a pedal to get there. You've got 30 days to return it though - do some knob tweaking.

Also keep in mind other Mojaves, and since you live in LA do yourself a favor and take a day to cruise out to Victors shop where you can play everything. Keep in mind EJ himself called the Mojave Coyote the finest modern amp built today.

The tones are there in the amp - you may just need to borrow EJ's hands for an evening :dude

Steve E

6. stekks

stekks Member

Which cab/speakers are you using? I think a cab with well broken-in greenbacks would suit your needs.

7. JWR

JWR Member

I own a Peacemaker, and I have a couple of thoughts. Oddly, I found it to be voiced a bit dark at first, but I use humbuckers. You know, perhaps the sound you are trying to get rid of is the actually high end of the Celestion G12H30 speakers that come stock in the speaker bottom. May I suggest trying the amp with a speaker bottom you are more familiar/accustomed to the tone of, and dial it in that way. You have changed both the amp and speaker enclosure at the same time, so the entire rig is totally unfamiliar to your ears.

When I bought my PM, It took me awhile to figure it out, although it appears to be simple enough, it does not react like a typical Marshall type amp. I will say that I did not care for it right out of the box and I played it constantly throught the evaluation period. I decided to keep it. It grew on me and I soon realized that my tone, (using Super Leads) was very thin and trebly.

Also, check the preamp tubes, I did not like the stock Ruby Chinese tubes that came with the amp. The Peacmeaker, like any other amp benefits from good tubes. Also, if you got it from GC, the probability of having tubes swapped may be increased. I just bought a Soldano from a guy that came from GC 3 months ago, 2 of the 4 preamp tubes failed on the tester.

8. regotheamigo

regotheamigo Member

Thanks so much for everyone's imput. Believe me I don't want to take this thing back, so I will do everything I can to make it work. I do have the Mojave 4X12 that comes with the G1H2 30's in them, so like one of you said, maybe that could be it? When I bought the amp it was one of those things that you had to buy the combo or nothing at all. It also has Ruby Tubes in it as well, so maybe changing the tubes would help with the high end. I am sure there are a lot of things that I could do to get there, but I don't know if I have the time, patience or the money to do all that. It just gets to the point were you feel like your completely rebuilding a amp. I don't know, it seems to me that the Germino's are geared more for what I am going for, so I will probably just wait around to get one of his.

9. JWR

JWR Member

I recently put the G12H30 in the Marshall bottom I typically use with the PM and now it has more treble bite but a bit less speaker breakup. Do you still have your old speaker bottom? I would be curious to hear your observations.

As far as rebuilding the amp, I understand what you mean. Whn I get a used amp, I typically do just that though, retube and bias, listen to and select preamp tubes and generally whip it into shape. Manufacturers would have to charge a couple hundred dollars extra to put NOS tubes in an amp so I understand why they find the best they can and stick them in there, but honestly, if I see a current production tube in an amp, I know I can make it sound at least a little bit better by installiung a decent tube.

If you do have a return policy with GC, then I would certainly take a few days and seriousely evaluate it. If at that point it's not for you, your decision is made. We see alot of boutique amps changing hands. There is big money being spent and expectations are very high, as they should be.

10. xray

xray Gold Supporting Member

If you want a after creamer tone try some Jan-Philips 12ax7WA's in there. A few Telefunkens will give you a nice flater tone.

11. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

If you have G12H's in your cab, and Ruby EL34's, there is not a whole lot more bottom end you are going to get by changing speakers or power tubes (unless, of course, one or more of your power tubes is not functioning properly). I have found JJ ECC83's and Sovtek 12AX7LPS's to have a soft top end, so those might help in the preamp.

Another option would be to talk to Victor and see if he could do a minor mod to get more of the tone you're after.

12. rocketboss

rocketboss Supporting Member

The first thing I would try is a GT 12ax7m in the first position. I bet you will like the amp better. Then I'd try some different mullards. Also a well balanced interter tube can make a noticable difference.

I think the Peacemaker is a great amp. When I use a strat with mine I use the bass volume and mix the treble volume in low. With humbuckers I use only the treble volume.

Nick :)?D)

13. * velcro-fly *

* velcro-fly * Supporting Member

Nick -

What do you know ? you're just a gear slut kid after all....:D

My Peacemaker was / is proving to be waaaay more amp than I'm needing at the moment, it will be going to a new home next week, and a Mojave Scorpion will be finding a new home with me right around the same time....insane amps, all the way around. Running it through a Bogner OS 2x12, although a Mojave 4x12 could be in my future too....

BTW - how was your gig opening for Eric Johnson the other night ? Would've loved to have been there - congratultions :dude

Steve E