A question for ESP Eclipse owners: Any difference between the FT models vs the Standards?

scott520

Silver Supporting Member
I've owned a couple of Standard Series ESP Eclipses (not E-II) and I absolutely LOVE the neck and playability but they always sounded a bit thin to me when compared to a typical LP. They didn't sound bad by any means but just lacked the oomph of an LP. Have any of you guys ever played/owned a full thickness Eclipse and was there a notable difference?

Chad

I have two full thickness and one regular thickness. I greatly prefer the full thickness versions in both tone and feel.

scott520

Silver Supporting Member
I have two full thickness and one regular thickness. I greatly prefer the full thickness versions in both tone and feel.

Thanks for the feedback! Is the tone just thicker in general? Is your FT a recent model E-II model or and older ESP? Is the FT comparable to Gibson LP? I'm really wanting LP tone but with the modern appointments and playability of ESP.

Pushead

173hFHBh.jpg

I also have a FT model. It definitely has a thicker sound to it that the standard thickness Eclipses. With similar pickups, there is more lower mids and fullness to the sound than the standard thickness models. Very similar sound to a Les Paul.

One thing to know, most of the ESP Standard Series guitars that were full thickness have slightly bigger necks than the standard thickness models as well.

scott520

Silver Supporting Member
173hFHBh.jpg

I also have a FT model. It definitely has a thicker sound to it that the standard thickness Eclipses. With similar pickups, there is more lower mids and fullness to the sound than the standard thickness models. Very similar sound to a Les Paul.

One thing to know, most of the ESP Standard Series guitars that were full thickness have slightly bigger necks than the standard thickness models as well.

Ah! That's good to know about the neck profile. I LOVE the profile of the standards and was hoping that it would be the same on the FT's. The ESP standards have a slightly narrower nut width which I really like.

Pushead

It's not ridiculously bigger, but it is bigger. My guitar is from 07, part of a run ordered through bMusic in Australia. The specs may have changed as the years went on.

Chad

Thanks for the feedback! Is the tone just thicker in general? Is your FT a recent model E-II model or and older ESP? Is the FT comparable to Gibson LP? I'm really wanting LP tone but with the modern appointments and playability of ESP.

Yes, pretty much what Pushead said. The Standard (2012 Standard Series) has a ton of upper mids in comparison. I guess I should say my two FTs are pre-2019 LTDs, which are solid (not weight-relieved) as far as I know. Yet, thankfully, both are in the 8.5lb area. They are great guitars. I believe the radius is flatter on the LTDs too. Anyway, when I am playing the full thickness, I feel like I’m playing a great, modern Les Paul alternative. The standard feels like something else entirely different.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom