1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

A question for Gustavsson owners.

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by pfrischmann, Aug 7, 2006.

1. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

I know many of you guys who own Gustavssons own other expensive guitars and even real '58/9 Lp's. I'm really excited about the whole idea of a guitar that is built to be "an old soul". I believe The original growth wood and the air drying would make a huge difference alone. we all have her the phrase in auto racing, It can take 98% more in cast to get that extra 2% in performance, or something similar to that. I just wonder.

Will you hear the difference in a band?

Can you look at a Gustavsson and say "yeah, it's easily worth double the price + of my '59 reissue LP" ?

I know only I can ultimately answer that question for me but I thought it would be cool to get some feedback from guys who not only have the real thing but also play Keeblers and Max's etc...

BTW, I'm already on Steve's list...looks like a 3+ year wait, at this point .

2. v-verb

v-verb Supporting Member

Calling Pete Faragher!!!!

3. jjhboots

jjhboots Member

Three years wait?! Wow. I have not had the experience with vintages LP's that alot of guys have so my experience may not be as helpful to you, but the Bluesmaster covers everything I need for the humbucker sound. Beautifully made, so smooth, great sustain.

4. tradarama

tradarama www.PRIMEGUITARS.com Silver Supporting Member

I had one....talked myself into selling it...missed it...and bought another $2500 more expensive.

It is honestly a fantastic sounding guitar. It plays wonderful. It feels like an expensive instrument. I believe it lives up to what it claims to be.

3 year wait? That is always so very hard. I usually judge it by "what did I like 3 years ago and would I be psyched to get it now?" rule of thumb. They do come up for sale once in awhile if you can hang on. You should make every attempt to try one before you invest 3 years.

I still say the best sounding guitar I've ever heard was 58FlyingV's Historic with real PAFs.

5. Don L

Don L Member

3 years?? Steve (Mesple, I assume) didn't tell me that a couple of weeks ago... :(

Charlie, you better send me yours for a quick sampling NOW!!! :AOK

6. Mike M

Mike M Supporting Member

I have a Gustavsson and all I can say is it is the best guitar I have ever owned. I have owned many great guitars in my day. I have never owned or played a 59 Burst so I cannot compare the JG to one of those. I can say that the guitar is like nothing I have ever seen or played. The finish, materials and vibe is spectacular. I am glad I got on the list when I did. I take the word of Charlie D and others that have played the Burst and say that these are the real deal. I have been tempted to sell it every once and a while, but I play it and cannot bring myself to do it.

7. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

To Clarify on the three years..

Steve told me Johann only makes like 12 or so instruments a year. everything this year is sold and there is a 20+ person waiting list....I just did the math more or less.

Steve also told me he has no idea how much they will be and will not take a deposit as it depends on the euro and Johann's current prices.

8. tivory

tivory Member

i have a blusemaster. it's my 2nd one and i have to say that it's a great guitar. is it for me the guitar to end all guitars? ..no but it is one of my "first call" guitars when i play. it's right up there with my murphy cloud 9 les paul 57 goldtop which is a little different tonally as well as my gvgc tele which is obviously at the other end of the spectrum tonally. the JG is fast becoming a very large commitment financially but still worth it to me at this point. good luck . tom

9. Lex Luthier

Lex Luthier Member

Yes.

10. JoeinLA

JoeinLA Member

Sell me one of yours!

Joe

11. matte

matte Senior Member

i have 4 jgs. they are the still point in my revolution. i've been designing my perfect guitar for 15 years, with several of the finest builders on the planet. it all came together for me with my first bruisemonster.

12. FlyingVBlues

FlyingVBlues Gold Supporting Member

It helped that I was playing through your Trainwreck. What an awesome amp. I should have bought that amp when I had the chance. That's one of the few gear related regrets that I have.

FVB