a question for live FOH guys (guitar related)

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by nikkibikini, Feb 22, 2012.

1. nikkibikini

nikkibikini Member

how would you feel about a guitar player coming in to your club/theater where they had their electric guitar running into a splitter on their pedalboard where one side went to a delay pedal then a DI to you...then the other side went through an effects chain and in to their amp which is mic'd. they would control the bringing in and out of the two sounds but mostly just want them layered evenly. the unnatural clean sound of a DI is "part of their sound" they say.

what are the pros and cons as you see it?

assume this is an original band on a label and on tour.

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

I don't see why it would be a big deal at all. just be sure the DI isn't creating wildly different volumes from one song to the next.

3. Thepilot

Thepilot Member

agreed. weird, but NBD.

4. RockManDan

RockManDan Member

yea i would just roll with it. if they are used to it then it should be a big deal unless they start throwing ovedrives and stuff in front of it creating all kinds of crappy high frequencies. You'll probably want to roll off some highend to help it blend, but hey at least it would be a unique sound?

5. rokpunk

rokpunk Member

i've had stranger requests. any soundguy you come across will say that's fine, no problem.

6. kentronicus

kentronicus Member

Also agreed, weird, but whatever blows their skirt up...

I have had some strange ones before. IDK what the artist's purpose behind this would be. I don't really see it sounding amazing. What did it sound like or have you done this gig yet?

The weirdest, most complex rig setup I recall anyone bringing that I ran was Shawn Lane's. He had a four-amp rig with each amp having its own delay and fx chain, only a couple of ms for each. Like a couple of ms for the first, a couple more for the second, and so on. It created a very lush, full effect sort of like a chorus I guess. Hell, he'd have sounded amazing through a Peavey Bandit, much less the rig he had set up. I remember having to scrounge to find four straight Marshall cabs for him per his rider since he flew in and was only carrying his guitars, fx, a rack with a couple of custom tube rackmount amps, and a Holmes Missisippi Bluesmaster head (IIRC that was what it was called) - a solid state thing. He said it was the main amp he HAD to have, and he had scrounged pawn shops for years buying all of them up that he could find.

He insisted on us having a stereo P.A., and that we pan the amps from hard left to hard right. He brought his own mics and positioned them himself. I promise that he and that huge crazy rig sounded good, but he was such a good player anyway that it was just icing on the cake.

7. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

Not only would I not have a problem with that rig, I'd like to try it. Some direct electric guitar tones are killer.

8. BONGKARMA

BONGKARMA Member

just make sure you keep you vol down.lol

9. RockHardGuitars

RockHardGuitars Silver Supporting Member

I have done live sound for many bands and have had just about every gadget and or configuration possible. What you are asking is no big deal. Should not be a problem for any pro foh.