1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

A question for Lou Reed fans

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by wrxplayer, Jan 8, 2008.

1. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

I listened to Lou Reed's "New York" album yesterday for the first time in a couple of years. [Great CD, but that's not the point.] I know Reed generally plays a tele and the guitar sounds on this record sound like a telecaster. What I'm wondering is if anybody knows what amp(s) he used to make the recording. I LOVE the tones, and for the most part the sound is very natural and I suspect for the most part just guitar into amp.
    Anybody?

PS-Interesting that he takes a swipe at Rudy given that the record was recorded in '89 or '90.

2. Steve W.

Steve W. Member

I'm a big Lou Reed fan and think he's a very underrated as a guitar player.
    I've seen him a bunch of times in person and on video and he's played all kinds of different guitars from stock and custom Strats, to a Danny Gatton Tele, to guitars by MJ (http://www.mjguitar.com/mjguitar.html). And I've seen him play out of everything from Peavey Bandits (when Robert Quine was in his band) to Soldanos, although IIRC he has been sticking with the Soldanos for a while now. He also usually has a big Soldano Surfbox unit on top of his amp and a huge effects switching floorboard.

3. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

Was there such thing as Soldano amps in 1990?

4. Steve W.

Steve W. Member

Soldano website says the SLO came out in 1987. Wikipedia says the company started in 1986.

The information superhighway is a beautiful thing.

5. Steve W.

Steve W. Member

Oops. Did a little more surfing and what I thought was an MJ may in fact be a Bolin, which has a similar headstock design.

This site has a bunch of Lou Reed gear info, but I don't know how accurate it is. Lou strikes me as a gear hound who is always trying different things, so it is probably hard to pin down exactly what he might have used on a specific occasion.

6. outtahear

outtahear Supporting Member

Sounds like the amps Mike S. did for him-I played Lous' rig at Mikes old shop on Melrose (probably '90??) when he was next to "Spotlight Tattoo"
    (Talk about one stop shopping....).

The intro to "Busload of Faith" on a good system is like being in the room:AOK

7. Keld

Keld Member

Shoot - I saw him on that tour, but I can't recall what amps he was using. Pretty sure he wasn't using a tele live. Sorry I'm not much help...

8. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

I went to the show for that tour and he made a point of showing off his rig and stating that he had "stepped up to a rack" at least for the live show. I don't remember a tele but something strat shaped.