A question for Super Champ XD owners...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fretless, Feb 17, 2008.

1. fretless

fretless Supporting Member

Wondering how this amp sounding when using the line out for recording? Are the tubes bypassed when doing so? I know some "hybrid" amps totally take the tubes out of the signal path when the line out or headphone jack is used.

I'm needing to do some late night recording where there is zero noise in the house and would like to have a tone which has some tube goodness versus a digital simulation.

2. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

Almost bought one yesterday, likely will soon enough.
    Catching a ride on your thread....

3. handyman11

handyman11 Silver Supporting Member

I played one at low volumes , along with a Peavey Studio Windsor ... sounded really good ....my question is this ...at loud volumes , through a 2X12 , will sound 'in the ballpark' as good as my Pro Junior ( which I play with a DS-1 and BD-2 ...I've been though a VOX and Cube 60 , and I thought they got muddy when cranked with the effects and models ....

4. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

Not to hijack, but my friend brought his XD over. I had heard it and recommended it. FOr the clean sounds,its very nice, but my Princeton Reverb ate it in clean tones for dinner. I still think the XD is awesome for the money.

5. DanD

DanD Member

I used the Super Champ XD line out to record all my Tele, Strat and Precision bass parts on three songs on the Bluehawks page.
    Modeling channel 1 & 2 for the guitars and channel 1 for the bass parts.
    http://www.myspace.com/bluehawksblues

Good luck,

DanD

6. fretless

Thanks for the info and link Dan. You sound great! I never would have thought running a bass through one would work out, but it sounds just fine. I know the amp wasn't involved, but the acoustic guitars were recorded very well. Nice playing. The Tele on track 1 sounded real fat and twangy, which is how I like mine to sound.

With crappy little speakers at my computer it's hard to tell if the line recording has a tube sound vs. digital. It sounds great on my end, but are there dynamics, sag, etc. present when you record (and listening with "real" speakers)?

7. DanD

DanD Member

Sag? Yes it can sag on model#1 which is suppose to be a tweed champ. Sounds pretty close to a 5Y3. It sounds like it's about to blow up with a booster in front. It can sound tubey and sometimes buttery depending on which 12ax7a is in it. The stock EH 12ax7a is not what I used for that recording.
    I think the amp is biased a bit cold.

Check out YouTube for some clips of a guy putting it through it's paces.

Fx's sound very digital with artifacts if it's driven too hard. Use the clean channel to drive it with pedals. I'm not at all surprised by this.

I wasn't surprised at all when I played a bass through it. I'm a fan of the Fender bass amp into a single 15" speaker tone.
    All in all a good piece for the price.
    Keep me posted.

Good luck,
    DanD

8. fretless

Thanks for the follow up Dan. Sounds like the ticket. I'd probably plan of swapping all the tubes anyways with JJ's.

9. patrick73csun

patrick73csun Member

i have the vibrochamp xd and i love this amp. for the price it just cannot be beaten hands down. i got it new for a little over 100 bucks and since i can't get my swart atomic space tone into its power grove volume level for overdrive in my apartment without getting abused by neighbors, i revert to using the vibrochamp xl my to cheap amplifier. but i feel as though i am getting legitimate sweet rocking tone that is just short of amazing. i could even record with this and be happy. and the diversity as well as the effects all together in a small portable fun little amp can't be beat.

10. Pakyie

Pakyie Member

I haven't tried much to record with the line out of my Super Champ XD (because I am experimenting with a new mic) but for the small experience I have, it does indeed have nice dynamics and pretty tubey kind of tone. It definitely seems to be graced with a speaker simulation, and a rather good one at that.

However, it has to be noted that the line out is located after the volume knob. Therefore, if you want to record with a good sound you'll need the amp to be at a rather high volume, and since it's a loud little bugger, it means that the line out is sort of ruled out for late night recording.

That is, unless you find some kind of load box or something to plug instead of the speaker, so as to mute the amp and only get the line out sound...

If someone knows how to do that, I'll be interested... greatly :AOK

11. mrface2112

mrface2112 Member

+1 to everything said here. i owned a VCXD for about 3 days. i thought it was a VERY useful amp, great for the money.....but my SF Champ ran circles around it.

I returned it and put the money into a '66 Champ (which ran circles around the SF champ).

I do miss the "marshall" sound (#9, iirc). It was excellent. I liked the #2 clean sound a whole lot too. For 2 excellent sounds, it's essentially the price of a boutique pedal (or less). REALLY hard to beat that.

When i tried recording with the line out, i found it a bit sterile sounding. Certainly usable, but I prefer my Countryman DI for latenight recording, and then i take the tracks back out into a real amp later with a Radial X-Amp.

cheers,
    wade