A quick question for the amp builders...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by lynchpin, Apr 26, 2008.

1. lynchpin

lynchpin Member

I cleaned up the wiring in my amp by tie wrapping the wires into a neat "harness" if you will. It looks great--BUT--since a current flowing through a conductor creates a flux field around it, can this doing this make your amp sound worse. Putting those fields too close together? This would include O/T wires. Short version should I cut the ties and let the wires spread out?

2. lynchpin

lynchpin Member

Didn't mean to break up the party with a dumb question but I've got to button this thing up for a gig tonite. Just need a fast Y/N thing, no high tech answer required.

3. John Coloccia

John Coloccia Cold Supporting Member

Turn it on and see how it sounds. If it's good, leave it alone. If it's a little noisier than you'd like, STILL leave it alone....for now, at any rate. You can go down the rabbit hole trying to optimize performance by moving wires around :)

4. abro163

abro163 Member

Yes it definately affects the sound depending on what wires you have bundled, having neat parallel wires is not always a good idea, despite what people think. Neatness isn't always best when it comes to amps.

5. alltone

alltone Member

Agreed..Lead dress is important but if you start bundling the wrong leads you can seriously affect the tone .Hiwatts are wired beautifully(military specs.) From what I have been told ,Dave Reeves and some of the guys who wired those things got their start wiring military grade components.On the other hand, some of the later point to point Fenders look like a rat's nest, but they still work.Sorry..too many wires..no short answer or quick fix..I believe that lead dress is an art all on it's own.

6. Structo

Structo Member

I have read that the tone stack wires can be bundled for neatness.
    Because of the low voltage present there, there shouldn't be much cross talk.
    But you never know......
    Try a before and after to see for sure.

7. fyrwyr

fyrwyr Member

If it sounds bad just untie them;) Unless the wires are hanging all over the place there is no big need to move them, I bundle my Tranny wires for neatness but that isn't always necessary, but people want to see neatness when ordering an amp from you...