A real general question for you guys

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by MikeyST, Mar 12, 2008.

1. MikeyST

MikeyST Member

I wanted to keep this question in pedals if its OK.
    I need some advice from more of you pro guys and play-out guys.

Im the older guy ..been hanging around lately and bought my first few good pedals the last couple months. I know it doesnt make sense for basement guys to have higher-end amps....but Im at a point where I coudl afford it and I wanted a good amp.
    I bought a vibro-king last year. Its amazing but I wonder if its too-much amp.
    Some people have told me I will get beter tone from my better overdrive pedals if I bought a small amp and pushed it more.
    I still like the VK even at low volumes...

I mostly like Blues..anywhere from srv and Albert king to clean Jimmy vaughan and old buddy guy.
    My pedals are an OCD, Tim, and I just recieved my zendrive .

I now its a pretty vague question....
    Mike

2. dk_ace

dk_ace Member

If you like it the way it is, it really doesn't matter what might be better IMO. I'm a fan of getting amps that fit the venues you play simply because I want the amp to sound great, and most large amps don't sound great at low volume. If you think yours does, then play it and be happy. You can waste an awful lot of money and time chasing new rigs when you were really happy with the one you started with.

Some drive pedals don't sound all that great with amps that aren't working hard. Yours aren't ones I would necessarily put into that category, so I wouldn't worry about it if it works for you.

Even though there are a lot of things that you "should" do to get the best tone, I've found plenty of guys who do all that and still sound average at best. I've also heard plenty of guys who don't do anything the way the tone gurus say you should and sound spectacular.

Use what sounds and feels good to you, and inspires you to play more and better. That's what really matters IMO.

D

3. recto-robbie

recto-robbie Member

Sorry,, im not a pro here but DK ACE offered great advice.
    It took me a while to understand that it pretty much comes down to what makes you happy. I think if it sounds great then use it and enjoy it no matter where your rig is located.
    Ive owned 50 and 100 watt heads with matching 4x12's used mainly in my basement, everyone knows that someone doesnt need all that power for basement use but I thought it sounded great and most importantly it made me happy.
    After years of buying and selling ive settled on the peavey classic 50. Again more power than I really need but the amp also sounds awsome late at night while my son is asleep upstairs.
    And most of those distortion and OD pedals are made to emulate an amp that is cranked and many of them actually offer some great sounds.
    If your amp sounds very lack luster while playing by itself with low volume you may want to look into another option, but if it sounds great to you and makes you happy dont let anybody tell you its not right for you.
    Its also a good thing in my opinion to have an amp that can sound great at lower volumes and also offers the wattage to allow you to play in larger venues. I got tired of dealing with 3 or 4 amps for every setting I may find myself in.

4. Zhurh

Zhurh Member

Kinda in the same boat mikey, I just play for my own enjoyment in the evenings; and like it better now than ever. I picked up a 35 Cowtipper couple years back, best money I've spent in recent memory. The twin reverb hasn't been switched on in at least a year. I like my compressor & the zen too, but some of the other pedals don't do much for me; fun to play around with. Ya know, the cowtipper sounds great without pedals, even at low volumes. I think I'm further ahead investing in higher priced amps than a bunch of pedals when I want something new.

I was going to order an HK rotosphere or option 5 but now, figuring on buying an old leslie or vibratone to supplement my bruno speakers. Buying that Bruno kinda satisfied my amp search.

5. MikeyST

MikeyST Member

Thanks guys...thats exactly what I needed to hear. Theres nothing I like better than putting on the Albert king track and cranking along...even if I cant do it that often. Being an old-guy amatuer...I love the feeling of power you get when you have an amp really cranked and you can feel the vibration when you hit a chord or a cool lead note.

6. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Member

Truly one of the best feelings in the world!

M

7. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

You, my friend have a great amp. Just enjoy it while you can.
    I would suggest maybe a silverface Fender like a princeton to ADD to your sounds, or even a Tweed Deluxe copy, could be had for a few dollars more if you really wanted to check out the sound of small amps.

8. MikeyST

MikeyST Member

Thanks Guys.
    Like I said Im an older guy. I know I'll never be in a band or on stage.
    There is nothing better than cranking an old T-birds album on my stereo and cranking up the amp and playing along. Its the closest anyone like will will get. And I like it LOUD whenever possible.

Cool Story....
    I used to be friends with a girl that worked for alligator records. They were think of signing Stevie Ray. So she goes to see him and is blown away by how powerful his sound was ( very small place) VERY loud
    So when its all done and the crowd is gone....she asks Stevie what that feels like?
    He said " whats WHAT feel like?"
    She said being up there at that volume.
    So he says to her.." C'mon..I'll show you."
    He has her go up on stage and kind of bear-hug him from behind, and hold on.. And then he rips into a shuffle at full-volume. She said it was totally awesome. Shoudl could feel the vibration through her feet and body. She said she never felt anything like it.Super powerful.
    I always liked that story.

9. sgs

sgs Member

Hey Mikey,

I do play for a living so I can justify all of my expenses as 'work related'. :) My advice to you is play whatever the hell you want and don't scale back just because it's in your basement. The better and more enjoyable the sound is to you, the more inspired you will be to pick up the thing and rip. The more you rip, the better you're going to get... and that'll make you play even more. So enjoy those vibrations 'cuz it just wouldn't be the same with a Champ....

10. Laganlad

Laganlad Supporting Member

Cool indeed :dude

11. playon

playon Supporting Member

If you live near a Guitar Center, check out a Vox AC-15... not a traditional blues amp maybe, but a killer for a many different styles nonetheless.

12. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

I love that Stevie Ray story. What a way to pick up girls!
    That Vibro King is an awesome amp, especially with those alnico speakers singing. It's good enough for Pete Townsend, so why not? The Custom Vibrolux is known by many as the "Little Vibro King", and man, do I want one of those! You could always get an attenuator to tame the volume, or maybe some earplugs to keep from going deaf. Just a suggestion, but the pedal that I think is a perfect match for both of those amps is the Throbak Overdrive Boost. Sounds heavenly through them. Those are two amps that go well with good quality dirt pedals.
    If you can afford it, you enjoy it, and it makes you play better (a sure sign of a good piece of gear), then why the hell not. Don't EVER feel like you are less deserving of good tone, just because you are a basement basher.

13. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Yup.

14. theflyingturtle

theflyingturtle Member

I really do agree with the previous posters but with one addition. If you can afford it get "the amp you've always wanted" whatever that may be. Personally, I have an expensive, at least to me, PRS. I can't play very well but I love that guitar. The same can be said for cars, guns, and comic book collections. I have an old, restored MGB. It's slow, leaks oil, it's very crude mechanically, and can be very unreliable but it puts a huge smile on my face every time I put the top down and the wife and I go for a drive. Happiness is good, life is short... What amp do you think would make you the most happy?

15. hollowbodyhead

hollowbodyhead Member

Tim into the VK is the ****. Tim vol. a little past unity. Bass and Treb, 12 o'clock or so. Gain, 9-10 o'clock. Boost and tone to 12 o'clock. Heaven!