A real Ken Fischer Liverpool right now on Reverb, a real bargain ;)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fabulusfab777, Sep 11, 2019 at 11:42 AM.

1. fabulusfab777

fabulusfab777 Supporting Member

Hey guys,

Not sure if this was posted here before, but I did a search and didn't find anything, so here it is. Maybe more of a Public service announcement, I saw this Trainwreck Liverpool for sale on Reverb.com, an original, made by Ken Fischer. ''Only'' 42 000$ USD. From the add I can't see the name of the amp, I know all Trainwrecks have names, maybe it's in one of the pics but can't really see. The listing has been there for three months, I'm surprised given the rarity of those amps, that it is still there. I mean, I'd love to one day own one, but at that price it is way above my ''gear'' budget, but with the amount of collectors and gear aficionados around here, I would have thought this would be a quick sell. Unless there is something wrong or fishy with it.

Looking at completed listings, the last Fischer made Liverpool sold for 36 000$ and the last Fischer made Express went for 55 000$, so this one is in ballpark price wise (still a lot of $$). I'm also curious to see if those amps will appreciate in value or stay roughly in the same $$ over the next few years.

Also surprised some of the big name artists and gear collectors out there are not hunting them down more, maybe they are less famous in the ''real'' world then they are here.

Anyway, I think it's a cool piece

Let me know what you think in terms of value and overall ''coolness'' factor.

See it here: https://reverb.com/ca/item/24830716...n=1695015338&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 4:10 PM
  2. louis

louis Member

Shipping is reasonable for this kind of amp !:D

Matteo11 and fabulusfab777 like this.
  3. Deus56

Deus56 Member

I guess "bargain" is a relative term.;)

4. David Simpson

David Simpson Member

You'd think they would try to clean the volume pot they speak of....

Khromo, Gilky, Matteo11 and 4 others like this.
  5. ajoep

ajoep Member

Totally worth it if you can afford one.

fabulusfab777 likes this.
  6. hogy

hogy Member

7. fabulusfab777

My bad Hogy, thread title as well as the many times I wrote Fischer wrong in the op now corrected. Worth mentioning the person selling the Liverpool also has Ken's last name spelled wrong. Maybe that's why it didn't sell yet, that's what was wrong about it !

8. fabulusfab777

I'm sure it is. Must really be an experience on it's own to be able to play through one. I highly respect the work and research that went into these, as well as the design philosophy. In terms of numbers and value, I guess it's up to the market and demand.

9. RAG7890

RAG7890 Member

No Amp is worth that amount of money & it won't make up for bad chops but it is a serious collectible so it is what it is.

:beer

10. 44 and feeling it

44 and feeling it Member

It's in Hawaii so moisture is a big factor and if it already has an issue chances are there are other issues coming up soon. No gut shots? The seller has only 2 reviews as well.? Big risk. If you are a private customer that can afford that price then most likely you are wise with your money and would pass

11. DrainBamage

DrainBamage Member

I believe the seller has 5 more real Wrecks ;)

The celebrity's that have bought the Wrecks in recent years seems they end up selling later on.
    Even though money is no factor they let them go and folks that understand how to use them as designed might get their chance. Certainly, you have to understand how to use them to get the benefit from them such as Glen K.

12. fabulusfab777

Agreed!

And that is part of the discussion I wanted to have as well, I'm sure for someone, it is ''worth'' that money, now what's the difference between an amp around 6k, or one at 20k or one at 100k, obviously supply and demand, but I am still curious if the market will continue to rise or maybe not, since there are more and more great amps available. Let's get a group together and buy that thing !!

RAG7890 likes this.
  13. fabulusfab777

Very interesting and valid point I think. Not to name them but maybe some of the real D amps out there are easier to play and understand and also a bit more known, so prices are even more crazy. It comes down to personal opinion and taste but I think i'd rather have an original Trainwreck before a D. Different tools I know.

14. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Silver Supporting Member

15. iamdavea

iamdavea Silver Supporting Member

Terrible listing with virtually no pertinent information. How long has he owned it? Where did he get it from? How does this particular amp sound? He may as well have just used the old, "if you're looking at this, you already know the deal." Even if I had the money and was looking for one, I'd pass.

Gilky and fabulusfab777 like this.
  16. Rossi163

Rossi163 Supporting Member

Way back in the day I had read an early article about Trainwreck amps and decided to call him up. We ended up talking amps for over an hour. He was a great guy and LOVED talking amp design and components. I kept asking him questions and he would go into great detail in explaining why he thought solid core wire and chassis materials made a big difference in an amp's tone. I was actually considering buying one, I think the going rate was around $2k. He didn't try to push a sale at all, just super cool and eager to talk amps. I was not able to swing it financially at that time (I did have a room full of vintage tweeds at the time so I wasn't deprived of good gear or anything) so we said our goodbyes and I thanked him for his time. I do recall asking him what his favorite "sleeper" amp was and he said "Gibson GA5". He loved the simplicity and pure tube tone that circuit produced.

RIP Ken.

17. fabulusfab777

Yeah, definately not a lot of info on where it came from for something in that price range, or how it sounds, other then saying ''it's magical'' , which really doesn't say much anyway.

iamdavea likes this.
  18. iamdavea

iamdavea Silver Supporting Member

Right? I mean, I've written 3 long paragraphs just trying to sell a $1,000 partscaster!

19. fabulusfab777

Very cool story. From a lot of stories I heard he seemed like a very nice individual with a passion for his craft. Like Jim Kelly and Dr. Z, and probably many others as well. Very knowledgeable but down to earth.

Rossi163 and RAG7890 like this.
  20. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

It IS kind of funny that the two main "amp gurus" of the 70s/80s are so different. Ken was happy to talk to anyone. I spent some time on the phone, and thoroughly enjoyed it, but it was during his downhill slide so, even though he said he might build me something if he felt better, he never did.

As to the amp in the OP, yeah, I'd want to see better pics, and probably play it. That seems like a very stout price for an EL84 amp.

fabulusfab777 and RAG7890 like this.