A real Super Reverb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Aslan, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Aslan

Aslan Silver Supporting Member

Fender Super reverb's have always been my favorite amps but lifting one around when I developed chronic back strain made gigging with one impossible. I wish someone would make an amp that was exactly like a SR but weighed 35 lbs. Is this possible?

2. Funky54

Funky54 Member

Man I hear you. 4 ruptured disks, back surgery and now no feeling whatsoever i my left foot and my left leg is permanently asleep. Anyway. I have been asking this in different ways forever. My best advice is get a Vibrolux and a nice light cart.

What didnt work:
    running two 4 ohm tens instead of four 8 ohm tens. the weight is really in the tranny. If you change the tranny, run two tens instead...well then its a vibrolux, why do it. The cabinet isnt that heavy so pine isnt going to help. Its a heavy amp.

I'm still running the Super, but I'm probably gonna look for a good deal on a RIDeluxe and mod it for more head room and just get use to it.

3. hanales

hanales Member

What kind of gigs are you playing? Is it the circuit you love or the speaker combination? Are you mic'ed usually live?

4. Miles

Miles Member

Well, having it built is. I mean, a Super chassis in a 1x12 pine cab? You might get close to your target weight.

No way you'd be able to get that 4x10 sound at 35lbs. You'd have to expect to carry at least 50lbs using a pine cab and accommodating the reverb.

You're right. SRs are phenomenal amps. I'd buy one again if they had a mid control on the first channel. I NEED that mid control

5. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

Tone King Imperial :drool

6. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

A new OT and two tens? Leave the bottom two out. No amp stand needed.

7. magilla

magilla michaelggguitar (IG) Gold Supporting Member

Nice to know I'm not the only one. I get looks from people, but ... c'mon man ... midrange ...

8. Aslan

Aslan Silver Supporting Member

Hanales:
    I guess it's the circuit, I just love the tone of those four 10's with my Les Paul Custom, it has a edge of break-up to the clean sound that just screams the blues.

9. jcs

jcs Member

Separate head and cabinet.

I have my 71 SR on casters and use a ramp.

10. daddyo

daddyo Guest

The SR is 2 ohms. You could put the chassis in a new cab with 2 - 4 ohms speakers in parallel which would give you 2 ohms and no new transformer required. This would save 10 lbs.in speakers plus the weight of the plywood.

11. Lution

Lution Member

Fargen Blackbird 40 combo. :) This was one of the lightest combos I've ever had.

12. DakotaRed

DakotaRed Member

I had a Super Reverb that I just loved but I had the same problem; it was just too darned heavy! I bought a VVT Lindy Fralin and after A/B-ing the two amps, sold the SR and never looked back. The VVT is about 40 lbs vs. 60 lbs. for the SR. The slightly smaller cab helps too.

[​IMG]

I hate to say it, but the VVT just sounds better too...

13. BurgundyMist

BurgundyMist Member

This is what I would do too, no need to buy new amp.

14. amc

amc Member

+1
    anyone hauling heavy equipment should always bring some sort of heavy-duty hand truck.

along with a fan, a hand truck the most important piece of extraneous stuff needed
    for me to take to a gig. (old guy-bad back)

15. pinhooker

pinhooker Member

You could use a dolly. I have one, and its not the weight, but the ******** size and shape. Luckily I'm young and in shape but I can imagine how it could be a pain if you're old.

16. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Hire a roadie!
    You certainly could go with a head / cab setup and if you need 4x12 go with a lightweight pine cab and speakers that are lightweight.

That VVT looks really nice btw!

17. teleblaster

teleblaster Member

The head/cab makes sence to me

18. Fenderosa

Fenderosa Member

I have a super, and the best way I've found to carry it is to grab a side with each hand and lift with my legs starting from a squat. I am considering a hand truck because I suspect I won't be able to do this lifting forever. Thanks for posting this thread.

19. Lution

Lution Member

You know, this isn't a half bad idea. Buy a younger friend a couple of beers to have him bring in and take out your amp.

20. Travst

Travst Supporting Member

I'm a huge fan of the SR, and checked out the Lindy Fralin at last year's Nashville Amp Expo. VERY impressive amp. I tried a Strat and an LP through it and it blew me away.