• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

A Relatively Cheap PC Stereo Recorder Program

BigDoug1053

Gold Supporting Member
Hi Guys... I just ordered a simple stereo RCA to USB audio interface for my Vista laptop.

My project is to convert a ton of cassettes, DAT tapes, field recordings, and loops to music CD and MP3 files - and do it fairly cheaply and easily.

So - I Googled and came up with several dozen programs that will supposedly do the trick. Does anyone have any experience or recommendations?

Here's what I need:
> ability to set recording level and normalize output volume levels
> ability to fade in and fade out
> ability to do some basic sound NR/clean up or compression
> fairly intuitive and simple interface
> Cost - free shareware up to $50

Your experience, wisdom, and intelligence are appreciated!

:bong

beej

It's not the simplest for that, but I'd suggest Reaper. Full featured DAW software with tons of free add-ons. Inexpensive to register, full-featured if you don't want to. Worth investing the time to learn it. http://reaper.fm

BigDoug1053

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks! I just downloaded Audacity and a bunch of plug-ins. When the interface arrives, I will give it a spin.

Reaper looks interesting, too - just more than I need right now. I have a Tascam 2488 for recording new stuff - I am used to a Portastudio style platform.

:)

BigDoug1053

Gold Supporting Member
Follow-up

I got the Behringer UA202 RCA-USB interface and have had good luck creating MP3s with Audacity from cassettes. Works like a charm and allows lots of effects...

Thanks for the suggestions!

:phones

Trending Topics