A Relatively Cheap PC Stereo Recorder Program

BigDoug1053

Gold Supporting Member
Hi Guys... I just ordered a simple stereo RCA to USB audio interface for my Vista laptop.

My project is to convert a ton of cassettes, DAT tapes, field recordings, and loops to music CD and MP3 files - and do it fairly cheaply and easily.

So - I Googled and came up with several dozen programs that will supposedly do the trick. Does anyone have any experience or recommendations?

Here's what I need:
> ability to set recording level and normalize output volume levels
> ability to fade in and fade out
> ability to do some basic sound NR/clean up or compression
> fairly intuitive and simple interface
> Cost - free shareware up to $50

Your experience, wisdom, and intelligence are appreciated!

:bong

beej

It's not the simplest for that, but I'd suggest Reaper. Full featured DAW software with tons of free add-ons. Inexpensive to register, full-featured if you don't want to. Worth investing the time to learn it. http://reaper.fm

BigDoug1053

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks! I just downloaded Audacity and a bunch of plug-ins. When the interface arrives, I will give it a spin.

Reaper looks interesting, too - just more than I need right now. I have a Tascam 2488 for recording new stuff - I am used to a Portastudio style platform.

:)

BigDoug1053

Gold Supporting Member
Follow-up

I got the Behringer UA202 RCA-USB interface and have had good luck creating MP3s with Audacity from cassettes. Works like a charm and allows lots of effects...

Thanks for the suggestions!

:phones

Trending Topics

Top Bottom