A replicating tape echo sound with pedals question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mad dog, Mar 3, 2015.

1. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I know several pedals provide EP-3 preamp types of sound. Haven't tried one, would like to try the Clinch or Dunlop pedals.

Seems like many people end up using these as tone enhancers and/or boosts. Wondering if anyone has experimented at combining such pedals with various delays.

I love the saturation and feel of tape echos. Specifically the RE-201. My AE v2 is the best so far at getting the RE-201 sound, but no pedal I've heard comes close to actual tape feel. Would one of these preamps plus delay get me there?
    MD

2. the_rising

the_rising Silver Supporting Member

Tried an El Capistan or Timeline? I think the Strymon stuff is almost industry standard for these applications at this point.

3. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

I haven't tried the Clinch yet - I am still waiting for an email from a local store that expects them. I've read plenty of positive comments from people placing it right before tape sim pedals. What do you mean though by "actual tape feel"? Do you mean the dynamic responsiveness of the preamp and the touch sensitivity of the echo reacting to the signal hitting the tape harder? The preamps you ask about might do the trick, but you might as well go directly for pedals that incorporate the preamp into their design specifically for that purpose: the Boss RE20 or the Catalinbread Belle Epoch. All the rest tape echo sims I've tried, as good as they might sound regarding tape EQ and grit, feel very weak, flat and "empty" in what you are asking for (Strymon of course included).

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  4. Yarnhawk

Yarnhawk Member

Belle Epoch would definitely be with looking into.

5. mad dog

I have owned both the Boss RE20 and the Belle Epoch. The Boss pedal promised to be the closest to RE-201, actually did not sound great to me. OK, but not nearly of the tonal quality I hear in the AE V2 space echo setting. The Belle Epoch is a great pedal, does have a bit of that tape feel. However, for my needs, the mix knob is not quite responsive enough.

So the AE V2 is not only the closest to actual RE-201 in sound quality, it's also perfectly adjustable (mix knob voiced so well) to the subtle settings I like.

By "feel" I mean sound and feel. There's a saturation and richness I hear in actual tape echos that is as much feel as sound. It's that quality I'd like to see connected to the AE V2 space echo setting - to see if it can get a little closer to actual tape.

The EP-3 type preamp pedals are of course emulating the Echoplex preamp effect. Still, I'm wondering if that would serve to push my favorite pedal delay sound a little further.
    MD

6. deadlands

deadlands Member

7. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

Funnily enough, I like the Boss far more for Space Echo sounds and I consider the AE Space Echo mode mediocre in a sweetened, watered-down way, and having very little to do with a true Roland... (same case with TC's Tube Echo mode - not anywhere close to a Dynacord Echocord).

A bit, maybe, but only regarding the fundamental tone being fed into the delay that you would be using. It's more of a slight tone sweetening effect. They won't create any of the wow & flutter, saturation, compression, specific EQ bandwidth and occasional tape damage errors that actual tape echoes would (actually they may compress, but just a little, and overloading with a strong signal will push them into soft clipping).

8. Seance

Seance Member

There's a YouTube clip somewheres with the Nocturne Dynobrain running
    into a Boss RE-20. Sounds good to me.

But my Boss RE-20 (without additional preamp pedals) sounds great to me.

9. mad dog

Everyone's ears and tastes work differently. I used an RE-201 for years, go by those memories to assess pedal substitutes. The RE20 did replicate features of the RE201 very well, especially how that cheezy reverb combined with the delay. Just didn't sound all that great to me. The AE V2 and X4 space echo setting approximate just one of the RE201 settings - minus reverb. To my ears, much better. But YMMV, and does.

That Nocturne pedal sounds worth a try. Also remembering the Deco tape pedal from Strymon, with a tape saturation setting. Maybe that would have what I'm looking for.
    MD

10. hugbot

hugbot Member

I prefer the Boss RE20 to the TC electronic version, part of the fun of an RE20 is the (crap) reverb and the way it goes nts when you turn the knobs and the TC cant do either.