A sensitive matter - dBs and speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by solitaire, Sep 15, 2008.

1. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

Does anyone know how to calculate sensitivity and soundpressure? Suppose I have one speaker rated at 60W 100dB and one at 65W 98dB.

The one at 98dB is going to be run at the top of its headroom, then how much power will go into the 100dB speaker to keep it in even pace with the previous speaker?

Cheers,
    Jonas

2. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

3. hamfist

hamfist Member

Its pretty much impossible to predict how much difference in power it will take to give the same PERCEIVED volume. Different speakers obviously have different frequency response curves and the human ear is more sensitive to mid frequencies.
    So mid-heavy speakers are perceived as louder by the human ear/brain compared to mid-scooped speakers which theoretically are the same sensitivity.
    I am sure that I have also heard that lower frequencies also need more power to achieve the same SPL's.

Another complicating factor is that I would not be surprised to hear that different speaker manufacturers use different ways of measuring sensitivity. For example, I am convinced that a 100dB Eminence speaker will be quieter than a 100dB Celestion.

4. slacker

slacker Senior Member

I'm not an expert but I dont understand the question.

Is this speaker replacement or use in a 2x12?

In the former your amp will be a little louder at your old settings. In the latter the more effcient speaker will get half the wattage and be slightly louder.

If you are using a stereo power amp then the 100db speaker will probably need a little less power.

5. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

The question's somewhat confusing. Simple answer, double the power you get 3dB more output. Speaker wattage doesn't really factor into it.