I just built a BYOC pedal kit for a friend of mine - a Vox Tonebender MkII with NOS OC75 transistors - but this is not really about the precise pedal, just about the kit itself. I'd never done one before so I was not sure exactly what to expect. I could actually build one from scratch if I wanted to, but after working out how long it would take me to do the layout and drill the box etc. I suggested he get the kit and I build it for him - and as a test I tried to approach it as if I knew nothing about electronics. First, I was impressed by the quality of the parts supplied, especially the circuit board, a very nice quality through-plated job with the component positions and values clearly marked. The jacks are Chinese Switchcraft copies and could have been a little better, but they aren't bad and will do. The pots are minis, but Alphas and good enough quality. All the small parts are decent, and the box is neatly drilled. The instructions are excellent and more or less foolproof even if you don't know much about electronics. You will need to know the basics of component coding, but then as long as you can cut and strip wire neatly, solder well (this is going to be the biggest problem really, many of the pads are tiny and you will need to practice to do it well - it's not like wiring a guitar pickup) and are basically careful, you shouldn't have any problems. I followed the instructions exactly to the letter, and never found anything where I thought 'I wouldn't do it like that'. There are perhaps a couple of places where a bit more guidance would be useful (eg using needle-nose pliers to push the transistor leads really fully into the holders), but if you're fairly handy it should mostly be obvious. Perfect? Not quite. There's one thing that was missing - no serrated grip washers are supplied with the pots or jacks. This is bad enough with the jacks (it's pretty much impossible to get them up tight enough not to slip, or without risking stripping the nuts), but on the pots it makes fitting them as supplied impossible, since these pots have a locator pin on the front face. If they have a grip washer, it lifts the pot far enough that it's not a problem, but otherwise you will either have to snap off the locators (effective but crude, and still allows the pots to slip) or do what I did, which is to drill the box for the locator pins. If you don't do one of these things the pots will be forced over at an angle as you tighten them up and might be damaged if you don't spot the problem in time. I also added grip washers to the jacks. I also added a small piece of adhesive-backed foam strip to the side of the footswitch, to keep the battery jammed in place and reduce the chance of it shorting against the power jack, which it could just possibly do otherwise. But apart from that, it was as straightforward as anything I've ever put together from a kit. Total assembly time (including reading the instructions and checking everything, and a quick test afterwards) was about one and a half hours even to my fussy standards of workmanship, although I know that's probably a bit less than it would take someone who doesn't normally do this sort of thing professionally. Very highly recommended if you want a pedal like this where originals cost hundreds (even if you can find one). And yes, it does sound great - I don't have an original to compare it to but it does sound just like I remember them.