A shout out for my new favorite string company...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mrpinter, May 13, 2015.

1. mrpinter

mrpinter Supporting Member

that nobody knows about. I'm using Optima's 24karat gold plated Maxiflex strings on a couple of my electrics, and a set of their nickel flat wounds on another, and one of their gold plated acoustic string sets on my acoustic. All of them are just incredible - both in how they feel and how they sound. And I'm expecting them to last a long time - still new enough with them I can't report on that yet. Even their "cheap" strings are excellent. I just bought my granddaughter a Fender Squier Mini for her guitar lessons, and the strings that came on it were pretty awful - wouldn't stay in tune very well, sounded plinky, etc. - so I bought a set of Optima's non-coated $7.99 electric round wound sets (from stringsbymail.com) and put them on. After just the initial gentle tugging to seat them, they stayed right in tune for a longish session of her playing. Pretty cool. The Optima products have replaced my formerly beloved Thomastik-Infelds on all but one of my guitars, and I'm still using the T-I's on that one mainly because I still have several customized sets of Jazz Bebops I don't want to waste. Give them a try, you might love them.

2. AceBSpankin

AceBSpankin Prince of Ales Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Replacing T-I strings doesn't seem possible for $7.99
    I have tried a lot of strings over the years and T-I
    just seem to have a Tone and equally important Feel that works for me.

But I only gig every couple of months now so they last a long time.
    Rehearsals and solo garage jams, don't wear out strings like sweaty Bar gigs 6 nights a week!!!

3. mrpinter

mrpinter Supporting Member

I didn't mean to say that Optima's lower priced strings beat the Thomastiks. But for me the gold plated ones, and the nickel flats, are every bit as good as the T-I's. And that's saying a lot, I'll agree with you there.

4. Squatch57

Squatch57 Member

If they were good enough for Zappa, then they're fine by me. He was fussy

[​IMG]

5. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

Shout out for my favorite strings, Curt Mangan.