A Shout Out to Michael Tuttle!

AlmostWorldClass

Silver Supporting Member
Earlier this year I bought a used 2020 Michael Tuttle Tuned Tele. When I first received the guitar back in early summer, I noticed some significant string buzz up on the high registers. I don't trust myself to make adjustments that might impact intonation, etc., so I had two reputable guitar techs in the New Orleans area take a look at it. They each came back with the same analysis...the neck had a slight roller coaster thing going on up around the 12th fret. Both also noticed the truss rod was really hard to budge. I decided to reach out to Michael Tuttle and get his thoughts.

Michael graciously asked me to send the guitar back to him so he could take a look. The guitar arrived to his shop and he made time to take a close look at the neck. He let me know it was fixable and that he would set the neck in a back-bowed position for a few weeks, as well as take out the truss rod out and give it some lubrication. The operation was a success and I received the guitar back just a few days ago...it plays perfectly and the neck is nice and straight.

Here's the really nice part - Michael did all of this gratis - no fee, even though I'm the second owner. I covered shipping both ways, but I'm sure he spent some of his valuable time on this project. He obviously takes great pride in the fantastic guitars he's built over the years.

Excellent communication, helpful/friendly attitude, and of course he's one of the finest small shop builders around today.

I know Michael has a reputation for being one of the really nice guys in the guitar building world, but I wanted to let everyone know about my pleasant experience as well.

Fred Klinge
Abita Springs, Louisiana

Last edited:

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
This is the poster child for caring customer service. Now about about a pic of the guitar to make your tale complete? :)

hatsubai

Awesome! I've had a neck serviced by him back when he used to do refrets (does he still refret guitars that aren't Tuttle guitars?), and it was amazing. Great guy and solid communication. Definitely made me want to try one of his own custom guitars.

MJR

I'd rather hear one of these stories than a thousand where the service, quality, or otherwise fell short. Glad you've got your guitar back in perfect shape. Now where's the pic!?

AlmostWorldClass

Silver Supporting Member
Here you go folks....

Tuttle 8.JPG
Tuttle 9.JPG
Tuttle 4.JPG

AlmostWorldClass

Silver Supporting Member
What's the story behind using different material saddles?

Cheers,

Mats N
Hey Mats,

I went back and took a look at the order sheet and all it had was "vintage" for the original bridge. I'm afraid I don't have any information on the saddles. As I mentioned above, I'm the second owner of the guitar.

musicman1

Looks like brass saddles for the middle and upper strings and most likely an aluminum saddle for the low strings to provide a bit more zip. Glendale and others sell tele saddle sets in that combination.

journo

Hey Mats,

I went back and took a look at the order sheet and all it had was "vintage" for the original bridge. I'm afraid I don't have any information on the saddles. As I mentioned above, I'm the second owner of the guitar.

Looks like brass saddles for the middle and upper strings and most likely an aluminum saddle for the low strings to provide a bit more zip. Glendale and others sell tele saddle sets in that combination.
Thank you both for the info. Most interesting!

Cheers,

Mats N

Mark EL

Silver Supporting Member
Love hearing about this excellent customer service! Bravo to Tuttle for really doing it right.

boldaslove1977

Gold Supporting Member
Great story.

I'm a very happy owner of 3 Tuttle guitars. T, S, and J. Have emailed him questions a few times over the years and he's always been helpful. He's a good follow on IG too.

Where is he now, I always thought he was in California for some reason...

He moved in late 2020. He's in Bend, Oregon now.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom