A Shout Out To The Clinchfx Ep-pre!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JaiminhoPagina, May 18, 2015.

1. JaiminhoPagina

JaiminhoPagina Member

I bought this little pedal a few years ago (Dec 2011, if I recall correctly) and to this day I still can't seem to take it off my board!

I had some time to play around with my gear today, and at some point I decided to try and dial in one of my favorite sounds - that Jimmy Page dirty slapback effect a-la the middle section of Whole Lotta Love from The Song Remians the Same. Just with the EP-PRE and a simple MXR Carbon Copy delay - and there it was. I honestly think it sounded very convincing.

(I use a R8 Les Paul and a 50w Plexi clone through a 2x12 with Celestion G12M-65 Creambacks, btw - and a Weber attenuator)

The EP-PRE is such a fun pedal to play with. It does something funny with the midrange frequencies - it's almost 3D-like. I feel it also does something to the pick attack, as if you can "feel" the notes more as you play them.

I lost count of how many times I praised it here at TGP, but I honestly really really love it, even though it's so subtle. Actually, the fact that it is so "non-intrusive" makes it really easy to incorporate the pedal into my chain.

Even my wah-wahs react differently with the EP-PRE on - they sound a lot thicker.

Another of my favorite features is the small jumper inside - which allows to select between the early or later EP-3 circuit. Early is a bit brighter and more open/ Later is mellower and a bit more aggressive - have it set to "later" circuit right now.

I recorded this crappy video with it a few months ago.

If you are considering one, do not hold back. It's a great pedal and I think it's worth it.
    Peter and Mandy are great to deal with too - when i bought mine the postal service messed up and the package disappeared for a while - They sent me another one without asking anything. Top notch customer service.

After a while the first one reappeared, so I sent it back.

I never tried an actual Echoplex, but I really think the EP-PRE works great!

I really want to thry the EP+ Custom too.
    Hopefully when I have some spare money....

McQ7 and James like this.
  2. Cgkindler

Cgkindler Member

Cool stuff man! I love little booster pedals!

3. JaiminhoPagina

JaiminhoPagina Member

It does not "boost" that much though. It's around +4db at max.

It's more like a tone polisher or sound filter/EQ.

4. Cgkindler

Cgkindler Member

Right on....that's how I used my EP Booster...not as a boost, but rather a first in chain tone conditioner/buffer/always on

5. JaiminhoPagina

JaiminhoPagina Member

Cool. I use the EP-PRE more at the end of the chain, before the Carbon Copy.

6. I-IV-V

I-IV-V Member

That sounds awesome. Have you used any of the other EP boosts for comparison? I have the Mad Bean boost but haven't used it in a while because I'm digging my tone so much already. Looks like I need to get it out.

7. JaiminhoPagina

JaiminhoPagina Member

No, haven't tried others.

I know for a fact that the EP Booster is a bit different though - JFET booster inspired by the EP-3 rather than a clone.

The Dunlop Echoplex pedal seems to be closer, but I give the edge to the Clinch due to the internal jumper.

Haven't heard of the Mad Bean before.

Peter Clinch seems to know his stuff, based on what I read on the internet - he put a lot of care into his circuit.
    Post-2011 pedals have a lower output inpedance - without the use of a buffer - he says the buffer changed the sound too much.

James likes this.
  8. drod2045

drod2045 Member

+1 on the Clinch. It's a mainstay on (err its actually under, but always turned 'on') my board since I bought it years ago

9. g-mane

g-mane Member

I've had mine for several years and it's still in regular use. I like it at the end of the fx chain, right before echo/delay (go figure). It's usually on.

James likes this.
  10. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

I've wanted to snag one of these and now my interest is piqued more than ever.

11. 0xeneye

0xeneye Supporting Member

I have had one for two years and it stays on about 90% of the time.
    It's not a boost but a pre-amp. "3-D" or "frequency shaping" is a very good description of the effect, but hard to find the correct words+.
    Ive tried the Xotic, bearfoot, and a few other similar products but always come back to the EP-Pre.
    It is also VERY well built.

12. crawz

crawz Member

Yes, subtle. But at the same, valuably contributive. Always on for me. Peter and Mandy have been great to me. Happy I own and use one.

James likes this.
  13. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

+100 It's the perfect tone sweetener in front of a dirty amp. It's definitely closer in sound to an original Echoplex than the EP Booster or Dunlop. It's one of those pedals that you can mount under your board and not worry about.

James likes this.
  14. Psychotronic

Psychotronic Member

I have the Pico-Pre, so it's always on. Love it.

James likes this.
  15. Jimbo735

Jimbo735 Member

Absolutely a great pedal,and dealing with Peter Clinch himself is a treat.I have tube amps that get used with this but the real test was with the Roland JC 120,WORKS WELL WITH IT TOO!
    I have a original EP3 EchoPlex but wanted to retire it, and this pedal along with My old MemoryMan is the replacement.
    Always on for me.I see then pop up on the classifieds once and awhile and almost cry with sadness,LOL!
    Im sure Peter will see this and chime in.[Hi Pete],AND THANKS!
    JIM

James likes this.
  16. ClinchFX

ClinchFX Gold Supporting Member Vendor

Hi Jim.

Thanks to all for your kind comments here. It's good to know that our efforts are appreciated.

The best part of our pedal business is "meeting" people, you guys, all over the world, through pedal sales. There are so many good folks in the guitar community, and we've learned much from so many of you. Recent customers haven't dealt with Mandy, who has taken a back seat in ClinchFX recently, because she has a very demanding job as Service and Parts Coordinator for white goods importer and brown goods distributors here in Australia. Hopefully, within a year we will both be working together again at ClinchFX.

Thanks again,

Peter.

James likes this.
  17. Hidetox

Hidetox Member

Ah! What a coincidence! I was thinking how my ep+ is indeed staying on my board for a very long time and bump into this thread. Ha!

Lovin it since day 1!

18. Pixies2005

Pixies2005 Member

Bought one three years ago. Will never leave my board. The best description I've heard is 'tone polisher', thought references to 3D and enhancer are also spot on.

It's nice to buy a truly boutique pedal where your mails are answered by either Peter or Mandy.

James likes this.