a simple looper as a teaching aid??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by HarryJ, Dec 11, 2005.

1. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

Any recommendations for the simplest looping pedal so I could lay chords down on the fly.

Thx

Harry Jacobson
    www.harryj.net

2. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

The Boss RC-20 is great for what you want. Pretty reasonable price too. Easy to use and has the ability store several loops.

3. dinrodef

dinrodef Guest

I use the zvex loop junky.. its kind of expensive but the cool lo-fi vibrato helps to separate your loop from the guitar track you play over it.

I used to play through the line6... and it just didn't capture the dynamics of my lead playing...sounded too sterile... and isn't the half the point of practicing to improve your dynamics and interaction with the fretboard???

The zvex may be lofi... but it keeps your dymanics and response intact... your solos will sound awesome played over the zvex loop

And it's pathetically easy to operate.. just step on 2 buttons...cake

4. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

+1 on the boss RC-20. The RC-20 has 5 minutes recording time, while the newer RC-20XL has 16 minutes.

5 minutes should be enough for anyone as a teaching aid, though

5. zadiqof

zadiqof Member

Another vote for the zvex lofi loop junky

6. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Am I missing something? It looks like the zvex records for only 20 seconds and does not save more than one loop. That seems a bit limited for a teaching aid IMHO, compared to what else is out there for less money.:confused:

7. drolling

drolling Member

Yep, as a phrase trainer or a practice aid the ZVex would be about my last choice.

I would suggest loking at the DigiTech JamMan. It comes already loaded w/some bass & drum grooves to jam over (as opposed to those flashy sounding loops on the RC that everyone just erases) and the CFC port means you can create a small library of loops that can be transfered to & from computer. Sounds better than the RC as well.

8. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

Thx man... Jam Man sounds like the 1

HJ

9. Blueser

Blueser Member

I heard that the Jam Man has issues with getting the loops to do a seamless transition from end to beginning. My friend was telling me that there always seems to be a pause in the loop as it starts over again. It drives him crazy to the point of not using the unit anymore. Not sure if its pilot error or not, but I heard the RC20XL, and I know it doesn't have this problem.

All that said, I think that $300 is a lot to spend on one of these pedals. You can probably do something software based for a lot less, though you will be sacrificing the portability.

10. jaymeister

jaymeister Supporting Member

I used a Boss RC-20xl for about a year. It is perfect for what you want to do. That being said, a laptop or any readily available computer with a PODxt and free software like audacity can do the trick too, and then some.

11. drolling

drolling Member

The number of people who seem to have trouble making 'seamless' loops continues to surprise me. Even some really great players I know, w/good sense of time can take a while to get the hang of it. I have both the Boss & the DigiTech pedal and neither have any latency issues that I've noticed.

There is plenty of good recording software out there. Some of it's even free (like Abelton lite for guitar, which comes bundled w/the M-Audio BlackBox) but I prefer the convience of a foot controlled pedal on my board.

As to the cost of the current crop of loopers, I remeber being grateful to get an 8 second looper (that DID NOT allow the user to define start/stop points!) for $400 back in the 80s.

12. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

I also read about the Jamman seamless issue
    I thought I read that the boss has some sort of auto quantize function to help make the loop smoother.

I do have the software and computer as well, but I'm doing more seminars traveling these days and would rather travel light.

I suspect that I would create the majority of the tracks via comp, then port it to the pedal. I have simply done this in the past with a minidisc player, but I am attracted to the feature that allows you to vary the tempo w/o pitch change, as well as the looping.

I would also however like to simply lay a few changes down on the fly and go.

I read that with the Jamman, you have to compensate for "alleged latency" issues by hitting the end loop function a little early?? I think it was on harmony central

HJ

13. mprvise

mprvise Member

+1 - bought one a few weeks ago and have been using it strictly as a practice tool. The slight pause issue at the beginning/end of the loop was driving me crazy at first, but I've gotten better at nailing the pedal at just the right time to avoid this. It just takes a little getting used to it. The Boss would probably work fine for your purposes, but after talking to a few local players and doing some research I went with the JamMan - no regrets! :AOK

14. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

does the jamman not auto-quantize?

I use the RC-20XL as a practise tool. When I first got it, it was great fun. I decided to use it as a metronome as well, because it's louder than my regular metronome and because I'm a cheap-ass and it would save the batteries in the metronome simultaneously :D

Anyhow, getting the RC-20xl to sync with a metronome using my foot took a few months of practise until I could nail it within a few taps. Due to this ability, when I got my dd-20, I was able to start and stop playing loops instantly with no problem in synching.

Don't know if the jamman has an extra hurdle to jump over (e.g. delayed reaction), but practise makes perfect.

The auto quantizing feature of the RC-20XL, though, is awesome. If you could hook it up to a patient with an irregular heart murmur, it would add 20 years to his life. I've never had a problem with the auto-quantizing trying to "take over" my beat or anything, it works exactly as it should.

my $.02

15. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

Well I ended up getting the Digitech JamMan. Was a tough choice, suggested loop simplicity of the Boss vs more memory and a USB connection of the Jamman.

Well, I opened the box, read the quick start info, plugged in. I tried 3 different vamps. All looped flawlessly. I noticed no latency delay etc...

Of course now that I bought this, it will be available in stereo shortly :)

I do wish there were a way to set the tempo other than tapping.

Thanks to all for the suggestions

HJ