• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

a simple ohm question? 2x8ohm cabs = ?load

rouss

I have 2, 8 ohm cabs. I want to use a Y cable to plug an amp head into both of them . Is the load 16 ohm or 4 ohms, :huh

Hwoltage

It should be 4 but you might want to measure it to make sure everything with the cable and cab plugs is good.

mcdes

Member of no importance
Hwoltage is correct. Should be four, but test first to make sure.

Patrick620

I have not had my coffee yet but the gauge of wire in your y-splitter may be something to consider depending upon how many watts you might be pushing through it. Most of them I see are designed to split an input signal or for headphones. I'm sure they have some that are more heavy duty. Just a groggy thought.

alberob

If they are in parallel it will be 4 ohms.[most likely].If they are in series they will be 16 ohms. No other possibles.:hiP

VaughnC

Silver Supporting Member
Yup, 4 ohms...a Y is typically wired for parallel.

But, like previously stated, make sure the "Y" adapter cable is made with unshielded cable with the individual wires at least as heavy as typical lamp zip cord. You can see this if the Y's plug shells screw off. If the Y's plugs are molded it would be difficult to tell what type of wire is used on the inside...so, in that case, I wouldn't risk my amp with it.

OrganicTimbre

Yep, I mostly see Y used for signal level, not speaker level. Make sure it's big and beefy like a speaker cable, otherwise it will get too hot.

soundchaser59

Thank You Great Spirit!
Gold Supporting Member
Best to have your local amp tech or sound & light shop make you a Y cable out of speaker wire and switchcraft hardware, 1 male and 2 female ends. Then just use regular speaker cables to connect the cabs.

Series Y cables aka "triangle Y" are not common, you would have to go looking for one and chances are nobody you ask will have one. 99.99% chance your Y cable is parallel.

Rockledge

plug the speakers into the y cable and check the plug end of the cable with a meter. It should read roughly 3.2 ohms, give or take. somewhere between 2.9 and 4.
I have never heard of a Y cable that was wired series, but you never know, if it is wired series you will likely get a reading of between 14 and 15.5 ohms.

soundchaser59

Thank You Great Spirit!
Gold Supporting Member
I have never heard of a Y cable that was wired series......
There are a few out there, but they are very hard to find. I found a couple once last year, but I can't find them now. It's easier to find a box that switches between series and parallel. I went looking for the series cable a couple months ago, couldn't find it, and ended up making a box myself.

I've only ever seen Y cables for signal path, using screened cable - definitely not what you want to use for speaker duty.

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
F that Y cable stuff. Dangerous.

Put a bigger jack panel on one of the speaker cabs that will let you link out.

TD_Madden

KotWF
I've got a speaker y-cable made by Reverend (bought when he did the amp closeouts).

Very stout and works fine.

Trending Topics