A "smooth" TS type pedal?

1973Marshall

Tube Screamer = the original smooth OD. Lots of compression and very soft, symmetrical clipping, lots of high-end roll-off. Seems like it would be hard to make them smoother, other than the above suggestion to roll back the Tone knob.
Interesting point, but the original TS has such a strong EQ to it, you can't shape it as much as it will really define it's sonic footprint and that is that. Love my TS808 RI, but for what the OP wants, I think the more balanced EQ and tweaks in the variant models will offer more of what is being sought.

manticorefx

I've tried so many TS type pedals, and I love certain aspects of this type of overdrive, but most seem to have a "graininess" to them. I'm looking for a TS type pedal that is SMOOTH. Is there such an animal?
Sounds like the BYOC Parametric Overdrive is exactly what you're looking for. It's smoother and more transparent than a TS, and the parametric EQ lets you dial in whatever hump/scoop you want.

DaveKS

VFE Pale Horse is my choice. When you lock that top small knob (clipping) in to 12:00 it goes into clean boost mode. Plus you have the pre clipping bass cut and post clipping treble cut. That treble cut can knock out most any gritty/graininess.

whackystrings

A couple of posts mention the Signa Drive. I bought one because on paper it looked like the perfect fit for my needs. Hated it. Was too vanilla for me. Total meh. Fine for driving the front end of the amp but found drive on the pedal, itself, to be uninspiring. But, like, hey, that's my opinion man. Well-built unit, though, and cmatmods has a good rep for customer service and quality.
Would not overlook it, but definitely try before buying.

Went on to Barber overdrives and have dabbled with other makers/models.
But keep coming back to the Barbers, especially the LTD-SR, which has been discontinued and is now found as part of the new Barber Gain Changer model.
BTW, the TS808HW is smoother, refined, and has a more balanced EQ profile while still sounding like a TS.

oldhousescott

Gold Supporting Member
OK, laugh if you want, just don't stone me...

Digitech Bad Monkey

Seriously, it is smoother than a TS, even with the treble cranked.

ruger9

Silver Supporting Member
The FD2 pre-mosfets can be had all day for $99 on ebay... maybe less since we've now transitioned to the FD3....

Bad Monkey is not a bad recommendation either..... that bass control makes all the difference in the world over a stock TS.

GtrWiz

Tube Screamer = the original smooth OD. Lots of compression and very soft, symmetrical clipping, lots of high-end roll-off. Seems like it would be hard to make them smoother, other than the above suggestion to roll back the Tone knob.
This was my thought when I read the thread title. :dunno

1973Marshall

The FD2 pre-mosfets can be had all day for $99 on ebay... maybe less since we've now transitioned to the FD3....

Bad Monkey is not a bad recommendation either..... that bass control makes all the difference in the world over a stock TS.
NOT changing topics, but you are so right. Shocked how the original, which was a modern classic, got so devalued. I always kept mine clean as I thought it would be more valued as new iterations made the original something more "special", but it's funny to see the opposite occur. No one wants 'em.

Stratburst70

Green Rhino
That's my choice of TS-style OD as well. Elvis Costello agrees, as does Troy van Leeuwen.

I've had little problem making a TS circuit sound smooth, especially with single coil pickups. Try running it into an amp with a slight amount of breakup, keep the gain down (9:30 at the very most) and turning down the tone control (that was SRV's trick).

SFW

Brian Wampler has commented accurately that most guitarists are unreasonably afraid of radical settings on their pedals. You need to turn the tone knob all the way off.
I run the tone on my TS9 all the way down and find it to be very smooth.

Trending Topics