A Solid State amp that you think kicks butt !!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Rock Fella, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

I know a lotta guys rave over tube amps , and I admit I do so myself.

But one solid state amp that Id like to have is this one , I think it kicks major arse tonally.
    [​IMG]

iTs a Roland JC120 , quite a jazzy 2x12 combo with the lushest chorus you ever did hear , and yup, Id seropusly like to own one, they hail from the 1980s.

What Solid State amps impress you greatly and youd personally like to have amongst gear you own ?

jimmy

2. carltonh

carltonh Member

A Pritchard amp Sword of Satori (www.pritchardamps.com) has been my main amp just over 2 years and is great for everything, but I add a pedal to get Dream Theater tone. It has kept me from giving in to temptation to buy any more amps for two years, so that's a great accomplishment.

I love the band Marillion's tone when using an active EMG Strat or Steinberger into a Roland JC120. It just sounds so clean, but I still don't think of that as "guitar tone" but it is still an incredible and great tone.

I love BB Kings tone with a Lab Series amp, but I don't like Ty Tabor's King's X tone with it.

www.bluetoneamps.com has mentioned that two new Who songs by Pete Townshend were recorded with their Blue Tone amp, so I'll have to check out those songs.

3. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

4. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

The JC-90 has better treble.......

........for piercing eardrums:D

5. SQUAREHEAD

SQUAREHEAD Supporting Member

Pearce G2R.
    This amp blows away any SS amp I've ever heard or played...
    I mean both gain and clean channel too.
    It's MUCH superior to most tube amps talked about on this and any other forum.
    Play one, you'll be looking for tubes in it!
    It's that good...

Keith

6. LavaMan

LavaMan Gold Supporting Member

+1 on the Pritchard - I played through it at a guitar show a few months back and I was blown away! The Roland Jazz Chorus is an excellent amp also!

7. Jimi D

Jimi D Member

A good friend of mine uses a Jazz Chorus exclusively, but runs a Roland VG-8 in front of that... He gets some killer tones tho'... I've recently gone from tube-only to owning and using both a Roland Blues Cube 60 and a Tech 21 Trademark 60, and I'm perfectly happy with the tones I get from either amp in a live context... They're both really good sounding amplifiers, with excellent clean tones... The light weight and reliability more than makes up for any subtleties (real or imagined) that can't possibly be discerned when you're playing with a bunch of people in a ****** little room with terrible acoustics in front of a bunch of half drunk dancers...

I owned an Acoustic 1x12 for a while a couple years back, and thought it was a hell of an amp, too (not to mention loud!) but I had a rather substantial stable of tube combos back then (including a Rivera, a Boogie, a Kendrick and a couple Fenders) and so I didn't have room for it and let it go... Now that I've whittled away my amp stash to just my ol' faithful SFDR, I'm having some fun with these SS Amps...

8. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Those little Park amps were dynamite for their size and price. I still miss my old one.

9. bluescube

bluescube Supporting Member

Roland BluesCube amps.

10. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

I've owned a mess of Jazz Chorus amps over the years and I've never considered them anything more than something that does a job adequately. The 120 is way too heavy and they all have white noise problems. Now that I have one of the new Cube 60's, I doubt if I'd ever consider a JC. The 60 is easily the best $300 I can possibly imagine spending on an amp. It's light weight, quiet, sounds really good (especially the clean tones), and it's built like a mini-brick.

11. lanesmat

lanesmat Member

Marshall 3203 Artist.

This is a quasi solid state critter - SS preamp and Tube (EL34) output. 30 watts.

Channel switchable with a clean and boost. Clean side is nothing special, boost side is where it happened. A one trick pony for sure, but nice trick indeed.

If I were going with a dual amp setup, this amp would work well for the marshall "side". It is a small box head, very light weight, and easy to transport. I used it in tandem with a PV C50 or SR for gigging, and it worked very well for my tone at the time.

Marshall doesn't make em anymore, but if you are careful, you can find these things in the sub 300 range used, which is a good deal if your jonesing for that marshall grind.

Scott L.

12. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I'm still really, really liking my Acoustic 150. In a blind test for clean tones, I doubt I'd be able to distinguish this from a nice tube amp. Does fine with lead pedals too.

jon

13. gsf

gsf Member

"I love BB Kings tone with a Lab Series amp, but I don't like Ty Tabor's King's X tone with it."

I think I heard years ago that Ty ran a different preamp at the front of his rig.

My main point, though, is that though I'm mainly a tube guy, it's the players' ears that contribute as much, if not more, to the 'good or bad' tone of any piece of gear. I did an entire album for a very successful songwriter last year, and he only wanted me to use my pod xt/ - He treated it seriously (more seriously than I, I admit) and as a result I think (and I'm picky) because of that, the tones were good.

I've stopped being surprised that players with good ears get good sounds out of 'anything'.

14. pepi

pepi Member

I really like my old Peavey Special 130. Cleans are wonderful with a Tele.

15. AndreasG

AndreasG Member

Pignose for the cult-factor, as well as the Marshall Lead 12 in Full-stack-version (just because it looks sooooo cute). Tried to grab one off ebay for my son, but didn't work out....Maybe next time.....

16. rustyb

rustyb Member

Roland Microcube...kicks ass...

17. The_Whale

The_Whale Member

I've got a Peavey Stereo Chorus 212 with EVMs.

Loud, clean, cheap.

(and heavy: 91 pounds)

18. OOG

OOG Member

+1
    a bunch of my guitar playing friends think i've gone insane

great clean sounds, loves my pedals, and records beautifully using only the line out

19. radialaced

radialaced Member

Hartke SideKick....

Oops! I thought you said "Which solid state amp kicks the SIDE of your butt".:D

20. tone4days

tone4days Member

+1 on the tech21 trademark 60 and 120

+1 on the peavy stereo chorus 212 ... wish i never sold mine