1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

A somewhat off topic question...

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by danieldroukas, Oct 8, 2006.

1. danieldroukas

danieldroukas Member

For halloween we were thinking we would make an apparatus like the one in the link below:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8etoZveTix4

Our idea was to just hook up my signal generator to a an amp and subsequent speaker. The speaker would be mounted to a metal bowl to produce the effect seen in the video.

However, we listened to what 80 and 120Hz sound like and it would prove quite annoying for a party environment. So here's my question: Is there anyway to produce a mechanical vibration using my signal generator that would not produce much if any sound? Could I still use a speaker somehow?

2. vibroverbus

vibroverbus Member

cool. looks like it would work fine from this video where they use an actual speaker to replicate the effect. and where it is also annoying loud per your point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKxKVpHZe5Q

how about a heavily insulated box with the driver at the bottom, and a hole in the top that the bowl / container rests in. keep most of the sound in the box. might even be able to use some old speaker box but use the hole for the bowl/container, and leave the speaker down inside. also i'm wondering if a bowl is the best or if a flat bottom container might propagate the waves better...? the lowest freq that works will be less annoying - a low hum is more spooky/weird instead of a whining buzz. and what if the container is glass or plastic and you have a colored lightbulb down in the box as well? OK I'm getting carried away...

3. teleamp

teleamp Senior Member

Might try to see how recorded music would work, have an ext speaker set-up with the metal plate. If it works, cool, also, not annoying for the party.

4. teleamp

teleamp Senior Member

Dropped D, my guess.

5. slhguitar

slhguitar Member

Would the frequency not have an effect on how it would work? I really want to try this, does anybody have any suggestions on how it could be done practically?