A song Van Halen SHOULD have put on their album

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Stinky Kitty, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Stinky Kitty

Stinky Kitty Supporting Member

You have to admit, the guys would have ripped this a new one. As you listen to it, just imagine Dave and Eddie feeding off the energy. Would have been something else. Then again, Steve ain't no joke.

2. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

The only problem is it's not Van Halen's song to use. Certainly they would never cover a song only a few people in the entire world know of.

3. michaelvincent

michaelvincent Member

"So this is our first album together since 1984, and all eyes are on us. We should definitely put this Steve Stevens song on it."

I don't see it. Cool tune, but still...

4. Stinky Kitty

They just created an album filled with previously unheard music so you've got me :huh on that one. Also, the implication is had the band wanted to cover the song, trust me...Steve would have been thrilled. The band has done covers before, as we all know.

5. shg

shg Senior Member

You know what'd be cool? If Van Halen covered a Chickenfoot song. Just imagine Dave and Eddie feeding off the energy.

6. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

This song sounds alot like a VH song (to me), so I'm not really sure why they would cover it. In the past, VH has covered songs where they took them in a different direction.

Peace,

7. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

To my knowledge most bands cover songs from artists before their time and to do music that sounds nothing like their own style. It's a cool song but for VH to cover it would just be wrong IMO. That would be like Heart covering a Pat Benatar tune or something.

8. John Price

John Price Supporting Member

The difference is that VH wrote those songs! It's funny how everyone is jabbing them about using songs from the past. Lets realize that when you hear these demo's you hear songs that appeared throughout the first 6 records. Should we blast them for that too? Every artist has songs lying around that they might not have had the chance to cover, and when the time is right they pull it out of the scrap book. I'm just happy to hear some new music from them! I don't care where it came from or how old it is, to me it's fresh now that it's officially released.

9. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

Good point but the problem is most of those tunes have been circulated to the public so many fans have already heard them. Second I think using 5-6 songs which is basically half the record is taking the easy way out. Last those tunes never made it to the early records for a reason. Not that they are bad but really aren't near as good at least IMO as any of the other early stuff.

10. scriptphase

scriptphase Member

My thoughts exactly.

I appreciate the life that's been breathed into these 35+ year old tunes that I love. It's cool hearing them again, but how "fresh" they are is debatable. I remember getting these songs on cassette decades ago back when Eruption Video was still in business as a mail-order, selling VH live stuff and rarities. Shoot, I've even played a few of these songs live a LONG time ago. Wish I had some clips.

11. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

Like Big Bad Bill or Ice Cream Man?

12. Stinky Kitty

The intent of the included peace was to highlight a song which SOUNDS very much like original Van Halen and to imagine how it would sound if the band covered it. Only Atomic Playboy fans (of which I am one) would probably have recognized the song so had the band covered it, most folks would have heard it and thought "wow, great tune...sounds just like early VH." :p