A speaker like a G12h30 anniversary but...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 12strings, Jul 25, 2010.

1. rewog

rewog Member

That's some good advice there.
    It sounds like there's a lot you like about the G12H30..
    the Beam Blocker is designed to fix that one little aspect you don't like... and it does it well IMO.

:aok

2. 12strings

12strings Member

I am still playing around with speakers and have an incoming Weber Ceramic Silver Bell, 50 watts, pre rola dope.

I emailed weber about the sensitivity. They are going to post sensitivity on there site by the end of the year.

They did estimate the Ceramic Silver Bell sensitivities at 99 db for the 30 watter and 98 for the 50 watter.

Thanks for everyone's help. I gotta score a beam blocker and try that as well!

3. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

Let us know how you like that Silver Bell. I'm thinking about dropping one into an Avatar Vintage 1x12 cab.

4. meterman

meterman Member

+1, this is my experience too

5. Randy Van Sykes

Randy Van Sykes Member

Great idea...I'm finding the same as the OP love the tight lows and nice thick mids, not loving the highs so much.

I have a beam blocker laying around that I'm going to try, I think that'll be the ticket...beam blockers were made for H30's ;)

6. rimisrandma

rimisrandma Active Member

7. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I have some MIE G12H-30 Anni's I bought back in 05. Must have been old stock. Cant believe how different they sound now. The high end slam is gone. Smooth, fat with solid lows. A far cry from the laser beam ice pick they had when I bought them. Im wondering if the fact they were made in England has anything to do with it. My only gripe is that they are 30 watters now. Bob

8. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

H75 or even the heritage G12H30

H55 lows will be even more prominent, not tighter.

9. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

If you still get to much highs from the beamblocker, [and I think you will], take the BB out, and in the circular part, rip the paper cone off it and then glue a circular piece of 1"or 2" foam to it...reinstall...I did this to mine, and the difference is Really noticeable...A perfect balance.....No more weird phasing sounds either that the stock Beamblocker induces.....

10. 12strings

12strings Member

I actually cut out a 4" diameter piece of thin cardboard. Taped it to the front of the grill cloth and it did tame out the highs a bit. It was a definite improvement. Not pretty, but a quick test of the waters before getting a beam blocker. I figure a beam blocker will be a cleaner, more accurate way to get out the highs.

I play out a ton - how do you mike up a cab with a beam blocker installed? You all know how sound guys can be...

11. Rod

You mike the side edge of the cone....It sounds better there than in the center anyways

12. Tonesmiths

Tonesmiths Member

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the KTS60/KTS70 yet

13. 12strings

12strings Member

Yeah, I kind of wondered that myself. I wonder how many people have used those with 5E3's. I have a set of ASW alnico retones and they are stunning speakers.

14. wildshoetwt

wildshoetwt Member

everyone here will rave about scumbacks, and they are great!

but everything i have read concerning the g12h30 which i have read QUITE A BIT, is that the anniversary and heritage, after heavy heavy use, eventually just pop open, and are absolutely incredible, better than scumbacks...

some people say that happened after their first gig, i've heard other people say they just experienced it overnight after owning the cab for 3 years, but it's a general consensus that if you pound the celestion g12h30 with music or guitar for day on end, for a month, you will have an incredible sounding speaker...and then other consensus is that the heritage sounds better than the anniversary, that's pretty much straightforward

but yeah, start pounding those h30's, they'll give in eventually and they're supposed to be sweet as hell when they do

15. rockon1

rockon1 Member

They do and it is crazy,amazing. I wouldnt trade my G12H-30's for anything now. For a long time I found them almost unusable.. Weird but true. Bob

16. Randy Van Sykes

Randy Van Sykes Member

The Beam Blocker worked like a charm on my 1x12 combo with an Anniversary H30 speaker.
    I gigged with it lat night cranked up and the sweet spot is everywhere now, enough so where even the guys in the band commented on how nice the amp sounded, there's a more uniform sound coming out. It doesn't sound too dark, just less spike from the highs directly in front of it....love it! :bow

17. Rod

Great...Glad to hear that!!!

18. 12strings

12strings Member

So, I got a weber silver bell ceramic, 50 watt, pre rola dope for a really low price in the emporium. Tried it out for a little bit. I really like it a lot. Seems like everything is just shifted a bit to the left on the frequency spectrum. Bit more lows than the g12h30 and zero harshness in the treble. I like it a lot and need to spend some more time with it. It cleans up really nicely too.

That being said, I also just ordered a beam blocker from musicians friend - they have them in stock and it is free shipping this weekend. So, once I get the beam blocker, I am going to a/b the two.

The speaker swapping is fun. I am using two identical 5E3 cabinets so I don't have any down time setting up everything while trying the two speakers.

19. 12strings

12strings Member

Just bumpin this. I am REALLY digging the weber. The 50 watt version uses a 50 oz. magnet. Acccording to weber it uses the same cone and parts as their g1230 so it is essentially a 50 watt G12H30. It also sounds really really good with my Tungsten T12Q. Very balanced! Never would have thought about the silver bell without this thread so thank you for everyone's help!

20. Gdog

Gdog Member

Still loving my SB, and the honeymoon is over. Don't miss the G12h30 at all!!