A sports question from someone who doesnt know crap about sports....

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Jonny Hotnuts, Jun 20, 2019.

1. pjrhd28

pjrhd28 Silver Supporting Member

No disrespect, but you're asking the wrong question. Too many variables.

If you could literally put Babe Ruth in a time machine and have him play today, I don't know if he'd hit well or not.

But at the time he played. Babe Ruth dominated baseball as much as any player in any era. 12 home run titles (including 6 in a row), 13 times leading his league in OPS, 13 times in slg. pct., the list goes on and on.....

Ty Cobb won 12 batting titles.

Also, I'm not so sure that athletes are really all that much bigger, stronger, etc. today that they were years ago. Take the 100 meter dash world record as an example (thus, we have an objective measure of performance- time).

In 1936, Jesse Owens ran a 10.2 and in 2009, Bolt ran a 9.58. That's only about a 6% improvement. Don't know if other objectively measured (other races, swimming, weightlifting) show a greater improvement or not.

2. bluesoul

bluesoul Gold Supporting Member

Bigger, stronger and faster beats smaller, weaker and slower all day long! It is not a fair way to compare because a team from the past in today's world would train very differently.

QRSS likes this.
  3. BlackbirdVintageMusic

BlackbirdVintageMusic Member

Well there's not exactly a lot of time that can be shaved off of a 100 meter dash. A better example (re: argument destroyer) is the running of 1 mile.

During Babe Ruth's time, running it in under 4 minutes was said to be impossible. Same in DiMaggio's era through the 1940's. It was finally accomplished in 1954.

Nearly 1500 people have done it since, including a couple of 16 year-olds. I would not bet against a woman doing it in our lifetime.

Athletes are better today.

Vintage_ and bluesoul like this.
  4. Wolfgangsta

Wolfgangsta Member

FIFY :D

cratz2, QRSS and ducker 1 like this.
  5. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

NFL team from the 70s versus NFL team from now, it would make a lot of difference which era's rules they would be playing under. The 70s team would definitely have some advantage with that stipulation.

I wouldn't say that applies quite so much to other sports.

6. Jonny Hotnuts

Jonny Hotnuts Member

True but the modern era teams have their own set of advantages. I added the rule stipulation to help level field between eras.

~JH

7. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

One thing you have to take into account looking at pro sports from era to era is the sheer number of people that are vying to make it today, and what they go through from an early age to get there. The talent pool is much bigger. There are also more teams of course which dilute it some, but I think overall it's still much more competitive. The money has a lot to do with that too, pro athletes from say the fifties didn't make that much money comparatively and it wasn't quite as attractive an occupation to pursue.

Golf, I think the best golfers from any era would be pretty well matched, but today the drop-off to the not quite top of hill guys is much less. It's way more competitive from top to bottom.

8. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

Lambeer would be suspended indefinitely under todays rules.

cutaway likes this.
  9. fetishfrog

fetishfrog Member

I'd put my money on modern athletes every time and come away a rich man.

Bigger, stronger, faster will win every time. There's not much to suggest teamwork was better then vs now, and even less to suggest the benefits therein wouldn't be outshined by modern athleticism.

For some sports, the evolution has been so rapid athletes from a decade ago wouldn't even be competitive today, MMA being the prime example there.

Is what it is, and not at all disrespectful to the legends of yore.

10. ducker 1

ducker 1 Member

It would be interesting to see how Clyde Drexler would fare in today's mamby pamby style NBA

11. Old Possum

Old Possum Member

Just a different time and advances in the amount of roids they use. did seem like the old players gave more thoughts to the fans. today, it's all about the money for them and egos'.

12. Pat6969

Pat6969 Supporting Member

I think you’d have to look at the technological advancement of equipment as well. Since the 80’s, hockey skates and sticks have improved 100 fold, as has goalie equipment. Look at tennis rackets from the 80’s to today. Shoes, helmets, etc are all lighter and offer way more for player athleticism.

Vintage_ likes this.
  13. Thedude99

Thedude99 Member

For sure. The biggest thing that comes to mind is how much more physical the game was back then, and how much protection players get now.

Many modern players would fold after the first “proper” challenge.

14. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

It's REALLY difficult to compare eras because there are so many factors that have to be taken into account: training methods, health and nutrition, rules changes, advancements in strategy, equipment, etc.

I'd rather just enjoy each era for what it is and leave it at that.

15. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

I can say for sure that, in a game of basketball, the 96 Bulls would totally destroy the 2019 Patriots. :D

I would also pay a lot of money to see that happen.

cratz2 likes this.
  16. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

I think it's impossible to tell. In regards to basketball.... previous championship teams were pretty stacked, too... 96 era Bulls had Jordan, Pippen, Rodman, Ron Harper, Kucok. I think they'd match up pretty well with modern day healthy Warriors or Raptors. 80s Celtics and Lakers were also pretty stacked... Celtics had Bird, McHale, Johnson, Parish and Lakers had Magic, Kareem, Worthy, Byron Scott.

17. newking70

newking70 Supporting Member

I'd like to see the 70s era Raiders take on the wimp era Patriots. Brady wouldn't last a quarter.

18. jkendrick

jkendrick Member

Yup, given the OP’s example, I think the Bulls would crush the Warriors with ‘96 rules and the Bulls would get crushed with modern rules.

19. Vintage_

Vintage_ Member

Pretty much where my thinking is as well. Take a look at where men were ~100yrs ago in Track events---they'd be hanging about even with the Women today. Pro athletes today in the big sports are training year-round etc. It's just a completely different level altogether. They would probably get smoked. But that doesn't really take anything away from them--they were Legends in their day.

AaeCee likes this.
  20. QRSS

QRSS brutalist

nobody knows