A Strat player who tried a Mira

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by MartinC, Jul 4, 2008.

1. MartinC

MartinC Member

I'm a Strat player most of the time. I have a Fender American Deluxe, a Suhr Classic and a P90 equipped Ibanez Artist. Up to today, I haven't really ever played a twin humbucker equipped solidbody that really grabbed me tone-wise. I can listen to other people play them without any problem, but whenever I've picked one up I just haven't really felt much. There's a spank and clarity in single coil pickups, particularly in Strats, that I really love ... there's something that I can only describe as rude about the tone of a strat in mild overdrive that makes me smile.

Lately I've been wondering (again) about giving humbuckers another go. I watched a YouTube clip with Mike Ault demo'ing the Mira recently, in which the tone (and playing) drew me in. So I went and tried one. My first impressions:

Amazingly resonant guitar ... especially considering how light and thin its body was.

It was easily the most comfortable PRS I've ever tried (that includes CU22, CU24, SAS, McCarty, CE22, ME). Coming from a modern C Strat, the neck felt familiar shape-wise (I tried a regular neck) and the neck also felt like it was in the right place. By that I mean that Lesters and, to a lesser extent, other 22 fret PRS's feel like the guitar is awkwardly undersized to me when coming from a Strat.

I played a silver Mira, which wouldn't be my colour of choice, particularly as the neck is also painted silver. However, the finish on the back of the neck felt really good. I prefer the feel of a satin finished neck. The Mira felt a little more glossy than that, but nothing like the stickiness of a glossy necked Lester. Comparison to a vintage cherry Mira left me believing that the neck on the silver one was smoother than on the cherry. I don't know if the top coat on the opaque guitars is different to the translucent ones, but it felt like it.

The flat construction of the guitar also gave it a very familiar feeling.

Tone-wise it was very snappy and clear, whether in full humbucker or coil tapped mode. There was none of the flat muddiness that oozed forth whenever I picked up a double humbucker solidbody before. The single coil tones were really great ... much better than I've heard on other PRS's ... which have all sounded on the thin side to my ears. And the best part ... that rudeness quality that I hear in a strat was there. Not saying I was getting strat tones, but I was smiling for the same reasons.

I tried the guitar through a Matchless DC30. It occured to me that I could have just been moved by the amp. The guy in the shop handed me a McCarty to compare. The McCarty instantly left me with the same experience I've had with every other double humbucker equipped solidbody that I've played before the Mira .. 'this guitar is not for me'.

Finally, the volume and tone controls were great. Volume just cut volume/gain and not treble. Tone control was linear and useable in most of its travel.

Looks are personal ... I'll skip that section.

So, this strat player was very impressed, and seriously considering a purchase. Even a silver one.

Already started warming my wife up to the idea :D

2. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Supporting Member

3. MartinC

MartinC Member

^^ That's a nice looking Mira!

Nicest colour I've seen so far is the maple top 3 colour sunburst. I also think that lake placid blue with a white pearl pickguard would work really well on the Mira.

Have you had a chance to play a maple top Mira yet? Any comments on tonal difference?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  4. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

Mike Ault was playing one for Paul Reed Smith at the last guitar show in dallas, they had a demo with Mike showing the range of tones the mira guitar could produce, its a really great guitar, no matter what the color. My strat is kind of silver grey color but the white mira is killer IMO.

5. PaulS2

PaulS2 Member

I just got one a week ago - great guitar and incredible value after in-store discounts, etc.

Mine is orange but looks more like the vintage burnt coloration. Just right. I don't think they should call the color orange as it's deceiving until you actually see one close up.

I have to agree on the sheer resonance of the guitar - there were 3 there and all rang out pretty well. Some mahogany is extra rich and sweet - they seemed to have used the good stuff for these guitars. This one was a little extra special to me.

Everything about the guitar is first class - from the sound to the built quality to the materials used. Neck feels great!

It captures that vintage vibe without feeling like it's copying too closely.

6. MartinC

MartinC Member

Just to close this thread off ... or revive it ... I sold my American Deluxe Strat and picked up a vintage cherry Mira with new birds and regular neck a week or so ago. My first impressions in the opening post remain. The Mira's tone and playability are outstanding and it's a great set of tones to have alongside my Suhr Classic and P90 equipped Artist. Still exploring, but I can safely say that there isn't a bad tone to be found in any of the 6 pickup selections.

7. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

Mira is the best new axe to be released in a while, IMO. Every sound is usable....and there are many.

ac

8. Michael T

Michael T Member

I love the Mira. Great guitars.

PRS got a home run this time.

9. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

Played one a few weeks ago through a 65 Amps Stone Pony & Louis KR-12. Great, great guitar. Every sound was usable for me (hums, split coils, neck, bridge, etc.). Loved it and could not see a downside. It cleaned up VERY well with the volume knob. I own a pretty good selection of guitars and the Mira is definitely something different. I too am prepping the wife on this eventual purchase.

10. MartinC

MartinC Member

... update ... I still own the Mira ... still love it ... it's my favourite guitar ...

anyone else still loving theirs?

11. MichaelSaulnier

MichaelSaulnier Member

I've got a mahogany Mira and it's a fun guitar that's great for my classic rock and blues gigs. I believe it has the same pups as the SC245, but is a lot lighter and feels much different with a 24 fret neck and body configuration.

It took a bit of playing to be comfortable with the neck, kinda like how it is with an SG... but now that I'm used to it... it's no problem. In fact, it's easy to play.

I have other guitars that I use more, but every time I gig with my Mira, I'm reminded how much I like it. It's amazingly affordable for a US made PRS, and I'm very happy to have one.

M

12. Hawking

Hawking Member

You keep saying 'vintage Mira' do you mean it's a few years old?

And glad you're still diggin it, I love these and the Starlas too

13. mysterious1s

mysterious1s Member

Being a Strat player I loved most aspects of mine. I ultimately sold it because I found the humbuckers to be a little weak (although they had a REALLY cool vibe to them) and couldn't really cut through like my DGT (best bridge HB available IMO) and was uncomfortable with the 24 frets. I also was not crazy about the split coil tones, I found them to be very thin and tinny but I did not purchase the guitar for the SC tones, I have strats to cover that.

14. nocluejimbo

nocluejimbo Member

I do believe that he was referring to the names of the finishes - 'Vintage Cherry' and 'Vintage Mahogany' are probably the two most common finishes to see on a Mira.

15. sleewell

sleewell Member

Miras and starlas are my favorite prs, amazing guitars

16. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

The Mira is PRS' second best guitar IMO....right behind the DGT. And I totally agree with the OP as a rather over-committed Strat player!

17. kingsleyd

kingsleyd Frikkin genyus Gold Supporting Member

Yep

18. MartinC

MartinC Member

no ... the "vintage" is referring to the colour ... mine is "vintage cherry"

... and I'm going to have to try a starla ... I don't have a guitar with a trem bridge (at least not one that's not blocked) ... and I was watching a youtube clip the other day (from GregsGuitars I think) featuring a Starla. Don't know why I haven't thought about these before really

19. Gunhedd

Gunhedd Member

I still have mine. (A Mira 245, charcoal burst, P90s, yadda, yadda...)

I love it. When I bought it a few years ago it was the model I was looking for. It hit every single checkbox on my list for my next guitar. I also have an American Tele, a 335 and this one completes my own personal "trifecta." Feels great. Sounds great. Looks great. I consider any axe I acquire to be a "keeper," else I wouldn't buy it to begin with.

I don't see letting this one go anytime during my lifetime. Not saying I'll never buy another guitar, by any stretch... On the plus side, I haven't had a hint of GAS since (though I DO have the other guitars too...) I think PRS hit it out of the park with this one. Yes. It's THAT good. :)

20. CyberFerret

CyberFerret Member

My Strat and my PRS Mira probably get played the most at the moment. Every time I pick up the Mira, I am constantly blown away by how comfortable it is, and just how good those humbuckers sound. I've totally stopped playing my SG since getting the Mira...