A Strymon Echo Park Delay Pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by davidkim1221, May 29, 2015.

1. davidkim1221

davidkim1221 Member

That would be the best delay pedal for me. If strymon put three "types" of delay (digital, analog, and tape) into one simpler pedal, that'd be nice. Not a timeline, but much simpler. However, i'd be nice if this imaginary delay pedal had most of the "modes" (swell, reverse, etc) that the line 6 echo park has.

A combination of...

-One of the modes on the el cap : For me, the fixed mode, because the sub-setting of the pedal would already have some sort of multihead setting available (if you don't know what I'm talking about, look up the echo park).
    -One of the modes on bridgadier: No real "modes" so maybe just a analog mode with a bit of bucket loss? Maybe a special dmm mode?
    -One of the modes on the DIG: I'd choose the 12 bit mode, or a special "sdd-3000" mode?

Then i'd add a universal mod control, and like how the line 6 echo park functions, depending on what mode you're on, the modulation will change to its respective sounds.

Love the line 6 echo park concept, but love the analog dry path/converters/tones etc of the strymon.

What changes or additions would you make to this?

2. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

>10s of delay time, MIDI and I would buy two.

3. davidkim1221

davidkim1221 Member

Haha now it's starting to sound a bit more like a timeline! But yeah that would be tight though. My preference though would be more of a simpler approach like the echo park: No presets, no midi, but tap tempo: yes please lol.

4. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

There certainly seems like there is a market for single sized strymon units. Delay with ext tap only and stripped down units with 3 knobs such as just a delay, just a reverb, just a trem, etc.
    At something like a $189 price point, they could definitely increase the customer base. I'm sure there are hundreds of players that would love to experience the Stymon kook-aid but can't stretch the $250+ price with near 90% used values.

Also some more creative pairing would extend the line nicely. Verb+delay in 2-button format. Opti comp plus Deco pre would be a nice pair.

But, alas, they are like old school iOS- everyone fits one size.

thiscalltoarms likes this.
  5. davidkim1221

davidkim1221 Member

Haha agreed! Interesting ideas.

6. MogwaiBoy

MogwaiBoy Member

+ 10,000

A single footswitch El Capistan Mini would be so good. They could even stretch to having an extra input for Exp/Tap-Tempo or Fav switch.

7. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

Agree, especially abou. verb+delay ala-flint format. I'd go for that in a heartbeat.

8. Meriphew

Meriphew Member

I'd love to see Strymon do some mini/MXR sized pedals.

9. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

I would consider paying money for a 1590A box that does the Timeline's "Vinyl" effect.

10. olejason

olejason Supporting Member

Given their cost of R&D (everything done in America, Southern California more specifically) and the inflated cost of components in a Strymon delay/mod pedal due to the SHARC chip I'm not sure how much cheaper they could make a delay pedal. It would definitely be cool to see them enter the fray of $200 pedals though.

11. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

I agree that there was a lot of stuff with the echo park that line 6 did right, including the mode switch so that you could use whatever voice with whatever feature (swell, multi head, sweep). I actually like the tape mode in that pedal a lot, it is surprising no one else tried the echo park recipe, but I can't say that I see strymon doing something like this, at least not anytime soon. The DIG is kind of an indication, now theirs a small box delay "trinity" and obviously those three units will do more on their own than wrapped up into a single small box unit. Would it be nice? Definitely. But I think both strymon and it's fans like the individual units strymon because if you want more than one type, you'll buy more than one unit, and the end user because of the level of control you get from the dedicated unit.

12. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

The Echo Park was before it's time. If the buffer didn't add high end (it's just a tad, but it's noticeable), I would still have it. The analog mode with modulation to this day is one of the best DMM imitations I have ever heard.

The Obscura seems kinda' close... altho you can't get analog with modulation, unfortunately....

LordByron likes this.
  13. Able Grip

Able Grip Member

Strymon is Line6 that went renegade.

Mr. Limbic likes this.
  14. davidkim1221

davidkim1221 Member

Line 6, Strymon, anyone listening? haha...

15. ColeW

ColeW Member

A single sized Strymon delay?.... Yeah... I'd buy that!

16. TimmyPage

TimmyPage Member

It exists! The Source Audio Nemesis has just about all you're asking for, for the same price and size as the small box strymons.

Lef T likes this.
  17. redchapterjubilee

redchapterjubilee Supporting Member

Id love the second tape deck side of my Deco in a smaller pedal. I'd pay ,$200 for that all over again for sure.

18. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

I don't need or want all that. All I need is "digital", "tape", and "analog", with the ability to add modulation if I want it. Simple, yet versatile. It doesn't need to have as many parameters and functions as the space shuttle.

Frankly, the RE-20 is very close.... it's a great delay to begin with. With the tone controls for the repeats, you brighten (digital) or darken (analog) them. I just wish there was a control to add more modulation to the RE-20. So... the RE-20, with a modulation control (ala DMM) = perfection for me. Even with it's AD/DA conversion (which I used to have a real problem with)

19. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Well that describes the Nemesis to a T. :dunno

gibs5000 likes this.
  20. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

This may not be exactly what you're looking for but it does have three modes. The new v2 revoices it slightly and adds a Tone control option to one of the existing knobs.

-bEn r.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017