• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

A Study In Contrast: Opeth

amigo30

Silver Supporting Member
Light and Heavy. Brilliant idea. It worked for Zeppelin.

I've listened to Ghost Reveries quite a bit and really like the band, except for the cookie monster vocals they pull out sometimes. Fine group of musicians though, and they have some creativity.

Nice clip you posted.

I'd buy some new music from them (and a lot of other newer metal bands) if they put a sticker on the front that said "No cookie-monster vocals on this album".

devilrob1979

Light and Heavy. Brilliant idea. It worked for Zeppelin.

I've listened to Ghost Reveries quite a bit and really like the band, except for the cookie monster vocals they pull out sometimes. Fine group of musicians though, and they have some creativity.

Nice clip you posted.

I'd buy some new music from them (and a lot of other newer metal bands) if they put a sticker on the front that said "No cookie-monster vocals on this album".
Check out Damnation. That's a pretty mellow album from them.

JDouglee

After awhile cookie monster is just another sound in the arsenal. It's freaky how he can
go from that to clean vocal in an instant. I just saw them live, they were great.

ZenFly06

You really should check out the latest "Watershed". Fantastic album light dark heavy soft...

Opeth and Porcupine Tree are two of the most innovative bands on the planet.

sergv

The Night and the Silent Water ... classic tune from a classic album, very creative guitar harmonies and composition, I believe this was the tune and album that got me into Opeth.

Platypus

not in rivers, but in drops
Silver Supporting Member
Love Opeth but they're just not the same without Peter Lindgren and Martin Lopez

eleanor296

Love Damnation, it's my go-to album for easy listening actually (sounds weird to someone who hasn't heard it, but if you have, you know what I mean).
Another awesome vocalist is the guy from All That Remains, and very cool to watch live... he seems to change personalities as he switches from cookie monster to death metal shriek to clean singing.

Andy

dc_jcm800

Gold Supporting Member
I listen to Liquid Metal alot on XM when I'm driving to and from work.
I usually catch at least one Opeth song a day.
I think they're amazing. I love how versatile and different they are.

They remind me of what it was like when I started listening to Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, Yes, etc..

waylay00

They have some cool tunes, but I saw them live a week ago and left pretty underwhelmed. Too much of the cookie monster vocals grate on my ears after a while. Hardly an acquired "taste" for me...

TommiK

Love Opeth but they're just not the same without Peter Lindgren and Martin Lopez
I actually think that in the long run the band might be stronger with Åkesson and Axenrot. Opeth's always been Mikael's band and I personally think that the current lineup is more capable of producing whatever it is that Mikael comes up with.

For example, Mikael has confessed to being a huge fan of Morbid Angel, yet until this Watershed there's been no extreme blastbeats in Opeth's music. I suspect it's because Lopez couldn't really do that, but Axenrot can.

Ditto for Lindgren. He came up with some cool parts, but when I saw them live it was always Mikael who played the interesting parts and the best solos. Now, with Åkesson on board, the band gained some shred capacity, while still keeping Mikael's emotive leads. Better on both counts IMO.

brooksrocco

I actually like Akkeson better but you can't replace Lopez, that guy was a monster drummer.
But inconsistent live, unfortunately.

Now that I've seen the current lineup a number of times, I'm pretty confident in saying the band is stronger than it ever has been. And don't forget Per - he's the backbone of the new Opeth!

floydfanatic

Opeth is the only band with cookie monster vocals that I dig. I find myself just as pleased with the cookie monster parts as I am with the light melodic stuff. He does them with clarity and so much power. You FEEL it.

The Captain

Yes to all of the above.
Akerfeldt is the only cookie monster guy I like to listen to, because he is still singing, not barking like a rabid dog.

Trending Topics