A Suhr Disappointment (Update)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirty145

Soo..I finally purchased my first Suhr guitar about a month ago. A beautiful Classic T in Iced Blue Metallic. Upon receiving the guitar, I noticed some open string buzzing only on the low E string. I figured “no big deal”, as I routinely perform my own setups and have all the necessary measuring tools and such. A week later, I start my setup and realize I cannot get this buzz out unless I put quite a bit of relief in the neck and raise the action up beyond what I feel is reasonable for a guitar of this caliber. My frustration mounts and I reach out to the store at which I bought it (online purchase from a reputable store and top Suhr dealer). Mind you, I’ve had the guitar for only a couple weeks or so and they instead refer me directly to Suhr customer service. I wind up having to ship the guitar back to Suhr which took almost a week (I’m on the east coast, they are west coast). Turns out there is a fret level issue, so it’s now been referred to a different team. Not sure how long that will take, so hear I sit, spending $3,000 on a new guitar that I’m not sure how it made it through quality control plus a store inspection. Very frustrating to say the least. What would you do if this was you??

******UPDATE***** 11/19
I just got off the phone with Don from Suhr (who was awesome by the way). John and several others did an inspection of the guitar and below is a snippet of the email I was sent.

“Sorry for the hassle surrounding the guitar. John has evaluated the frets and confirmed that some of the upper frets under the bass strings were slightly out of level. We don't think the guitar was like this when it left the factory, so the fingerboard has likely moved a tiny bit after shipping. We have a lot of experience with wood and our necks spend time acclimating prior to fretting, but now and again mother nature throws us a surprise. It's just the nature of organic materials. It's been several months since the guitar was completed, so we are confident that it's not going to continue moving. The work will be covered under warranty”.

The email also stated that John is going to personally refret and put a new nut on the guitar. He also is going to flatten the radius and make it 10-14 compound to accommodate my preferred action settings. It’s hard to ask for a better solution to this unfortunate experience, but that being said, the above clearly supports the customer service level which many have raved about and even defended in this thread. Never did I think or even consider when I started this thread that it would make it all the way to the top Suhr guitars. I simply was sharing a disappointing and frustrating experience in receiving a brand new high end guitar that I couldn’t enjoy out of the case. The end result is that I should get the guitar back some time next week, as John plans to work on it Monday.

Last edited:

IanRubbish

Gold Supporting Member
Id wait it out and see how i felt about the guitar after they sort it out as long as they take care of it in a reasonable amount of time. If it is their issue like this is, id expect it to be take care of relatively quickly, for me id be happy with 2 weeks or less. Anything more and i would be returning it.

bonga

Silver Supporting Member
I understand that you are extremely frustrated right now and trust me, I'd be too if I were in you shoes.

However, please give John and the rest of the folks at Suhr to make this right.

Do share with us when you get the guitar back whether this issue has been resolved. No company is perfect and while that is no excuse for fret level issues, I hope this problem is rectified for you.

I have a tremendous amount of respect for John and the company he has built. I know he'll want something like this fixed.

OotMagroot

Silver Supporting Member
As long as I wasn't paying for repairs or shipping out of pocket, then I'd be content with the minor inconvenience. The chances are you in your favor that the guitar would never need another set up like that (outside of mods or hardware changes). Regardless of how you look at it, it does suck that you spent the money and now have to wait to enjoy it.

budg

Silver Supporting Member
That’s unfortunate. I’m sure you’ll get a good resolution. I agree that in store inspections aren’t what they once were. The idea is that they’re supposed to find and correct issues before they get into the customers hands.

dirty145

I’d probably wait to get the guitar back before complaining about it on the internet.

Things happen. Suhr’s taking care of it and will make it right. If you get it back and there are problems then bring out the pitchforks.
The point is that I shouldn’t have to wait. There shouldn’t be a fret level issue on a brand new guitar at this price point. I spent 3k on a quality product and didn’t receive that. This goes for anything, not just guitars. What if you bought a $3,000 4k TV, and within a week, it wasn’t working properly? Would you be ok sending the TV back to Samsung and waiting weeks for them to fix it and send it back to you, or would you be pissed, ask for your money back and go buy an LG or Sony..

Down and Out in NYC

Gold Supporting Member
Frustrating yes but it sounds like Suhr is standing behind the product. Things slip through the cracks and they are stepping up to the plate. Hopefully when it comes back it’s up to snuff exceeding your expectations. I’d handle it easily , take a deep breath , be a little patient and rock that mofo when it returns.

I’ve blue metallic:drool are the rest of the specs on the standard side or is there anything unique to most Suhr’s ?

Benz2112

Memba?
Gold Supporting Member
Suhr probably has the best customer support in the musical instrument business. I bought a USED amp in 2020, and I had a minor issue with it. I had emails with CS and with John. CS resolved the problem, which wound up being a little contact cleaner in the jacks for the fx loop, and John even offered to have the amp freshened up for the cost of shipping it out to Lake Elsinore. It will get sorted.

rollyfoster

Silver Supporting Member
The point is that I shouldn’t have to wait. There shouldn’t be a fret level issue on a brand new guitar at this price point. I spent 3k on a quality product and didn’t receive that. This goes for anything, not just guitars. What if you bought a $3,000 4k TV, and within a week, it wasn’t working properly? Would you be ok sending the TV back to Samsung and waiting weeks for them to fix it and send it back to you, or would you be pissed, ask for your money back and go buy an LG or Sony..

well then tell the store you want your money back and be done with it.

I get your frustration, however the simple facts are that an extremely small issue slipped through the cracks in QC (or after)and the manufacturer is fixing it for free and you’re only out a little time for it to get done.

Sorry but the TV analogy just doesn’t work here, either. It’s either a return/replace or some dumbstuff 3rd party service tech being sent to your house. Totally different ballgame.

Last edited by a moderator:

Golem

Silver Supporting Member
I'm of the opinion that any company can have a QC issue. But the real test is how they respond to customers/clients when it happens. I'd give Suhr time as they're supposed to be pretty good about these things. I say this as someone who doesn't play or own a Suhr and probably won't.

sleep

Silver Supporting Member
Soo..I finally purchased my first Suhr guitar about a month ago. A beautiful Classic T in Iced Blue Metallic. Upon receiving the guitar, I noticed some open string buzzing only on the low E string. I figured “no big deal”, as I routinely perform my own setups and have all the necessary measuring tools and such. A week later, I start my setup and realize I cannot get this buzz out unless I put quite a bit of relief in the neck and raise the action up beyond what I feel is reasonable for a guitar of this caliber. My frustration mounts and I reach out to the store at which I bought it (online purchase from a reputable store and top Suhr dealer). Mind you, I’ve had the guitar for only a couple weeks or so and they instead refer me directly to Suhr customer service. I wind up having to ship the guitar back to Suhr which took almost a week (I’m on the east coast, they are west coast). Turns out there is a fret level issue, so it’s now been referred to a different team. Not sure how long that will take, so hear I sit, spending $3,000 on a new guitar that I’m not sure how it made it through quality control plus a store inspection. Very frustrating to say the least. What would you do if this was you??
You lived most of your life without this guitar. I get it, you want it, you want it now, it's brand new and it has an issue. I'm going to state right now that I do not like a single Suhr guitar design, to me, if you're capable of building a top notch guitar it shouldn't look like an assembly line guitar from 1960 w/a weak headstock so I am not a Suhr fan at all, but I AM a huge fan of how John Suhr has presented himself on this forum and I am sure he's going to make it right.

Perspective: I spent nearly what you spent on a new washer and dryer, and the reason I overspent is because the brand was USA made and I want to support my neighbors. The washer stopped working after about 8 months. It took them TEN MONTHS to fix it. Parts from China, multiple techs, supply chain issues, you name it, it happened, and there is nothing I could do about it aside from buy another washer, which I did, in the interim. I understand waiting for something you shouldn't have to wait for, but a guitar is a LUXURY ITEM. You're gonna make it!

If Suhr fails you, then I'd start posting, but I don't think that company will, and THAT is what you paid for IMO- you didn't pay for that guitar. You paid for the company name standing behind that guitar, and I believe you are going to find out the value of that name when you get your guitar back, and I'd hope they'd prioritize it for you. When they do, be sure to come back and let us know, and if they DON'T, DEFINITELY come back and let us know. Good luck.

mystixboi

Silver Supporting Member
Sorry to hear about this. I’ve owned 5 suhrs including my number 1 which is a modern. I’ve been lucky and not had any issues.
That being said, I’m shocked that the store didn’t take care of this for you. You bought it new right? It was only a couple weeks after you took it home? That doesn’t seem right to me. Maybe the store policy has a small return window but I don’t see why they wouldn’t take care of it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom