• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

A Suhr Disappointment (Update)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyusha

i would return it and order a luthier made tele, dont know why people spend such a big amount of money on a tele like instrument that any luthier would be able to make blindfolded

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
i would return it and order a luthier made tele, dont know why people spend such a big amount of money on a tele like instrument that any luthier would be able to make blindfolded
Define ‘luthier made’

most guys are just parts assembling.Yes I could get a competitor guitar possibly from a smaller builder for same or a touch less, but that’s not a slam dunk ‘Better’ just different

brobar

I’d probably wait to get the guitar back before complaining about it on the internet.

Things happen. Suhr’s taking care of it and will make it right. If you get it back and there are problems then bring out the pitchforks.
HUGE Suhr fan here (own 6... looking at my 7th) and I see no problem with the OP sharing some initial disappointment. It doesn't appear that he is trying to bash or rally a mob with pitchforks. He is simply saying he got a dud and is disappointed that it will take some time after spending a lot of money to turn that dud back into a stud. Nothing wrong with that. It's an opportunity to show that even the best make mistakes and have QC issues from time to time. And it's also an opportunity to showcase the Suhr difference and how they will take care of you in those rare instances where there are problems like this.

I just purchased a $2,400 snowblower from Toro (you take care of one of their blowers and they'll last you a lifetime... quality equipment), but I had to take it in for warranty repair this week before it ever even started for the very first time because QC didn't pick up on the fact that when they assembled it at the factory they pinched the fuel line so fuel wasn't getting to the motor. I think after spending that kind of money on a blower and then having to spend money on top of that (to rent a trailer) to get it to a warranty shop to have it repaired just to even get it to start for the very first time... I have a right to be disappointed. Of course they fixed it (mostly) on their dime (I still had to pay for a motorcycle trailer on MY dime to transport it), and now it runs awesome. That doesn't make the initial experience any less disappointing though. Why shouldn't I be able to verbalize that frustration? It's not dogging the company or the product. Spit happens. But people shouldn't have to "hide" their frustrations when that spit happens.

Last edited:

Golem

Silver Supporting Member
I guess there is a legit question here about whether the store or the manufacturer is supposed to deal with this. And I honestly don't know.

disconnector

It's been swell, but the swelling's gone down.
Gold Supporting Member
Hey OP! Not to pile on with a Suhr love-fest because I understand your frustration with Humbucker Music. As the dealer they should have done this themselves without you needing to engage Suhr.

But - I will say that John Suhr really does stand behind his stuff. I bought a used Modern that was shipping without a fret protector that ended up having the G string dig into a few high frets. I mentioned this on TGP and had an IM from John within the hour. He offered to fix it at the factory but he also offered to walk me through sanding out the frets nicks. . . on a Saturday night. Absolutely stellar CS! I'm a customer for life!

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
I guess there is a legit question here about whether the store or the manufacturer is supposed to deal with this. And I honestly don't know.
When I worked in a music store 90s, we would have absolutlt addressed that on a guitar that was recently bought. Either we handled it with local approved tech or handled getting it in for warranty. We handled hamer, Yamaha, USA Washburn and Parker at the time and the rare occasion something like this happened we serviced our customer.

I don’t see Suhr doing anything wrong here but as long as OP’s attitude with the store was civil then I have more of an issue with the store.

Pooh & Annie

I JUST got a Suhr classic S HSS last week after vacillating between that and a Tom Anderson for quite a while.

I could absolutely NOT be happier! I had high expectations and it DESTROYED ALL OF THEM! Feel, appearance, tone, just ridiculous.

I’ve played and own(ed) a LOT of guitars of many types, and this is by FAR my new fav. Just an incredible guitar (those freakin frets)

Guitarwiz007

Gold Supporting Member
Maybe it's just me but if I spend that much on a guitar and it has issues, I don't wait a week to address them. If I had the same situation, I would immediately start my own setup process. If I find that I cannot rectify the situation within the return period, I absolutely call the retailer I purchased from and arrange to send the guitar back to them. If it's something they can take care with an approved tech in house, so be it, I would try to work with them. Either way, the guitar is being returned to the retailer. They can either fix it or offer me a replacement. At that point, they can decide if they need to deal with Suhr or not. I have had dealings with particular retailer in the past. They have always had pretty stellar service. It's clearly stated you have 5 days to return an item. Waiting after that time is just a fail on your part no matter how you try to frame the situation. These places have policies in place for a reason and I've found that if you follow them, you will rarely have a bad outcome. Once you let this time frame pass, yes, you deal with the manufacture warranty process.

That said, Suhr has nothing but stellar customer service. I am 99.9% positive they will correct the situation. You need to put the blame where it belongs. In the mirror. I'm sorry this happened to you but trust me, there isn't a manufacturer on the planet who turns out a perfect product every time. Not gonna happen. My biggest piece of advice is don't ever buy an expensive car!

doublescale1

Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck
Gold Supporting Member
The return policy for this store is literally 5 days. I reached out to them and they put me directly in touch with Suhr. It became my problem to get sorted out. That being said, the customer service and response with Suhr has been great! It’s frustrating and disappointing to have to deal with it, hence the title of my post. This is a forum where we can share our experiences, right?
[/QUOTE]
You picked a store with a crap return policy. Your fight is with them, not Suhr, and yes you said you're not bashing Suhr; but in a public forum such as this, you kinda are, not everyone reads the post for all the info or story nuances. Hope you get it resolved soon.

spi

Things happen. One reason to buy a high-end guitar is assurance that they'll make it right when they do.

Although frustrating, it sounds like they're taking care of you.

BlueRiff

What would you do if this was you??
Delete this thread and let Suhr fix it as they’ve agreed to under warranty, then enjoy the guitar afterward. I’m not seeing any egregious builder/distributor behavior here at all. It’s not ideal, but not seeing that you’ve been wronged.

dirty145

So you waited past five days to fully test out a $3000 guitar?

I think the issue is the complete lack of recognition that some of this is on you too. That’s why you’re being “flamed”

5 days is a crappy return policy, but it was their clearly stated return policy.

If the tone had been along the lines of “I get it, some of this is on me, but it still sucks and I’m venting” then I think the replies go differently. Your post just came off as a tantrum of entitlement. Especially the “point is I shouldn’t have to wait” line. The whole issue is because you waited past the return policy deadline. If you’d promptly just returned it, as soon as you realized the issue, we wouldn’t be talking about this.

As far as getting a perfect guitar every time. That’s just not how it works, regardless of price point. It’s the downside to buying online (in comparison to the multitude of upsides). That’s why you have to act decisively within the return window rather than “well, let me give myself a week to work this out with my home setup kit.”

I work a crazy full time job, and as I mentioned, I initially thought it just needed some minor adjustments. I wouldn’t have expected differently for a Plek’d guitar from a reputable company.

I’m honestly perplexed at some of these responses. Acting like it’s not big deal and that it should be perfectly fine to buy a brand new top of the line guitar and have to send it immediately back to the manufacturer for a fret level. Yes, this is totally on me and my fault. What was I thinking posting about my frustrating experience on TGP. Some of these responses are laughable. I can’t help but think that you wouldn’t feel this way if it was your money and your situation to deal with.

Last edited:

dirty145

HUGE Suhr fan here (own 6... looking at my 7th) and I see no problem with the OP sharing some initial disappointment. It doesn't appear that he is trying to bash or rally a mob with pitchforks. He is simply saying he got a dud and is disappointed that it will take some time after spending a lot of money to turn that dud back into a stud. Nothing wrong with that. It's an opportunity to show that even the best make mistakes and have QC issues from time to time.

I just purchased a $2,400 snowblower from Toro (you take care of one of their blowers and they'll last you a lifetime... quality equipment), but I had to take it in for warranty repair this week before it ever even started for the very first time because QC didn't pick up on the fact that when they assembled it at the factory they pinched the fuel line so fuel wasn't getting to the mower. I think after spending that kind of money on a blower and then having to spend money on top of that (to rent a trailer) to get it to a warranty shop to have it repaired just to even get it to start for the very first time... I have a right to be disappointed. Of course they fixed it (mostly) on their dime (I still had to pay for a motorcycle trailer on MY dime to transport it), and now it runs awesome. That doesn't make the initial experience any less disappointing though. Why shouldn't I be able to verbalize that frustration? It's not dogging the company or the product. Spit happens. But people shouldn't have to "hide" their frustrations when that spit happens.
Amen!!!

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
The point is that I shouldn’t have to wait. There shouldn’t be a fret level issue on a brand new guitar at this price point. I spent 3k on a quality product and didn’t receive that. This goes for anything, not just guitars. What if you bought a $3,000 4k TV, and within a week, it wasn’t working properly? Would you be ok sending the TV back to Samsung and waiting weeks for them to fix it and send it back to you, or would you be pissed, ask for your money back and go buy an LG or Sony..

Given the world, I'd accept that it takes time to fix things, regardless of how much you paid for it. And these days? I'm amazed when anything goes as planned. I paid $15k for new garage doors and it's a four month wait.

If it really bugs you, ask for a refund and see if you can find a suitable replacement in a timely manner.

stonem

Silver Supporting Member
I dont play suhr guitars but I guarantee this is a rare situation that John will correct. Dude is better than anyone in customer service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom