• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

A Tail Of Two Alnicos

cuttyshark

not really... question tho:

Would a Blue or Gold be better for a two el84 based amp (18-20 watts)?

I'm wondering, is there a different tone sweet spot wattage for each of these?

Also, is the Blue sturdy enough?

vanguard

if it's rated at 18/20 watts clean (manufacturer wattage rating) then no way can blue handle that. run full-tilt, that amp would be pushing more like 35 watts.

if that rating is when the amp is cooking, the blue could handle it MOST LIKELY. personally, i'd get a gold or a 30w scumnico and not risk it.

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member
i still play, and have played for years,
a buncha 45-120w amps through an openbacked 2x12 cab loaded with 2 very well-worn british celestion blues.

sometimes i use an atenuator, sometimes i do not.
no problems, here;
i can only guess, but think that said little amp would do well w/a single british blue.

i would always say, though:
get the gold, if you want the cab to be more flexible & ya want some headroom/safety.

Billion81

It'd be a whole lot cooler if you did.
i still play, and have played for years,
a buncha 45-120w amps through an openbacked 2x12 cab loaded with 2 very well-worn british celestion blues.

sometimes i use an atenuator, sometimes i do not.
no problems, here;
i can only guess, but think that said little amp would do well w/a single british blue.

i would always say, though:
get the gold, if you want the cab to be more flexible & ya want some headroom/safety.
I have abused a 4X12 of blues with 100 watt Marshalls, Carol Anns, and D amps- I think that is one tough speaker. But who knows.

I happen to think the Gold is an amazing speaker and now run a 2X12 of those as my main cab so if you want to sleep a little easier and not fret when diming your amp. go with the Gold.

Trending Topics