1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

A Tail Of Two Alnicos

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by cuttyshark, Jan 31, 2012.

1. cuttyshark

cuttyshark Member

not really... question tho:

Would a Blue or Gold be better for a two el84 based amp (18-20 watts)?

I'm wondering, is there a different tone sweet spot wattage for each of these?

Also, is the Blue sturdy enough?

2. Peppy

Peppy Member

The blue can handle it.

3. vanguard

vanguard Member

if it's rated at 18/20 watts clean (manufacturer wattage rating) then no way can blue handle that. run full-tilt, that amp would be pushing more like 35 watts.

if that rating is when the amp is cooking, the blue could handle it MOST LIKELY. personally, i'd get a gold or a 30w scumnico and not risk it.

4. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

i still play, and have played for years,
    a buncha 45-120w amps through an openbacked 2x12 cab loaded with 2 very well-worn british celestion blues.

sometimes i use an atenuator, sometimes i do not.
    no problems, here;
    i can only guess, but think that said little amp would do well w/a single british blue.

i would always say, though:
    get the gold, if you want the cab to be more flexible & ya want some headroom/safety.

5. Billion81

Billion81 It'd be a whole lot cooler if you did. Gold Supporting Member

I have abused a 4X12 of blues with 100 watt Marshalls, Carol Anns, and D amps- I think that is one tough speaker. But who knows.

I happen to think the Gold is an amazing speaker and now run a 2X12 of those as my main cab so if you want to sleep a little easier and not fret when diming your amp. go with the Gold.