A Tail Of Two Alnicos

cuttyshark

not really... question tho:

Would a Blue or Gold be better for a two el84 based amp (18-20 watts)?

I'm wondering, is there a different tone sweet spot wattage for each of these?

Also, is the Blue sturdy enough?

vanguard

if it's rated at 18/20 watts clean (manufacturer wattage rating) then no way can blue handle that. run full-tilt, that amp would be pushing more like 35 watts.

if that rating is when the amp is cooking, the blue could handle it MOST LIKELY. personally, i'd get a gold or a 30w scumnico and not risk it.

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member
i still play, and have played for years,
a buncha 45-120w amps through an openbacked 2x12 cab loaded with 2 very well-worn british celestion blues.

sometimes i use an atenuator, sometimes i do not.
no problems, here;
i can only guess, but think that said little amp would do well w/a single british blue.

i would always say, though:
get the gold, if you want the cab to be more flexible & ya want some headroom/safety.

Billion81

It'd be a whole lot cooler if you did.
i still play, and have played for years,
a buncha 45-120w amps through an openbacked 2x12 cab loaded with 2 very well-worn british celestion blues.

sometimes i use an atenuator, sometimes i do not.
no problems, here;
i can only guess, but think that said little amp would do well w/a single british blue.

i would always say, though:
get the gold, if you want the cab to be more flexible & ya want some headroom/safety.
I have abused a 4X12 of blues with 100 watt Marshalls, Carol Anns, and D amps- I think that is one tough speaker. But who knows.

I happen to think the Gold is an amazing speaker and now run a 2X12 of those as my main cab so if you want to sleep a little easier and not fret when diming your amp. go with the Gold.

Trending Topics