A Tale of Two Strats..

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by DeeDub, Aug 4, 2006.

1. DeeDub

DeeDub Member

I decided to hit the local GC and give a few Strats a test drive. I know.. most guys around here think GC = Antichrist.. but anyway.

I'm in the market for a maple neck/fingerboard Strat. I've been hearing good things about the newer Mexican made Strats, so I figured that would be a good place to start. Picked one up, plugged into a Fender amp, and proceeded to check it out.

Not bad, really. Much better than the Mexi strats of a few years ago. Neck was a decent profile, fret edges felt good, p/ups weren't great, but they'd most likely get changed anyway. A definite candidate for Hardware/Pup upgrade. And at around $380.00, hard to beat the price.

Then, just for kicks, I picked up an EJ strat. My first chance to try one, by the way.

The difference between the two guitars was unbelievable. It goes way beyond "night and day". It felt better just picking it up off the rack. It was a bit heavier... neck was fatter, but way comfortable. After plugging it in... what a GREAT strat tone! Bell-like tones in the number 2 position.. nice and sparkly bridge.. warm, fat neck pickup.. me likey!

I was astonished at how much better the EJ was. Definitely "$1000.00" better, if you know what I mean. Guess I gotta wait awhile. I'm getting me one of those EJ's!

2. mockoman

mockoman Member

I wish they were available with a rosewood board...maybe someday.

3. Jack The Riffer

Jack The Riffer Member

Very doubtful concidering the EJ is 'based' on his 50's strat, rosewood wasn't available until 60 iirc. Eric's such an anal person he'd probably set himself on fire before giving the ok for rosewood.

4. Rocktrans formed

Rocktrans formed Member

Just buff the gloss out of a maple board so it feels satiny. The satin-finished necks feel better than anything else (IMO), so couldn't a littles steel wool get the same effect on a glossy board?

5. JPenn

JPenn Member

Wasn't he touring with a pair of RW board Strats a few years ago?

6. Jack The Riffer

Jack The Riffer Member

Have no idea. If so they could have been 60 era strats or 50's body's with newer necks etc.

I was poking around the fender CS website and all of thier 50 era strats were maple, no rosewood to be seen. Not saying there wasn't any RW in the 50's cuz I'm not 100% sure.

7. JPenn

JPenn Member

Yeah they were 60's Strats. Point being that he did use some RW Strats, so they are not totally evil to him. There might be a time when they decide to come out with a RW model.

8. gwayne

gwayne Member

I did the Micro-mesh treatment to mine and the difference was remarkable. I love the satin-y feel of the maple.

9. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

I go to GC regularly. They have an amazing EJ strat there, a blonde one. They have three on the wall. A CAR, a Sunburst and the blonde. The blonde is heads and shoulders above the other two, in terms of weight, feel and tone. I am saving my money to buy it. Sweetest little thing I have played in a while.