A thought on pickup position for a single-pickup guitar.

Beakertwang

I have a nice neck just waiting for a body. Lots of ideas have been going through my head: jazzmaster, HSS strat, 2 P90's...

But I was thinking a single pickup guitar would be cool to have, but sometimes bridge pickups aren't smooth enough when played clean, and neck pickups are too muddy when driven. So what if I had it routed for a mini HB, about an inch from the bridge, maybe a little more? It seems like it could be a nice middle ground, and really versatile. Thoughts?

dirk_benedict

Silver Supporting Member
It’s really music dependent I find.

My only personal reference that might be helpful...

I had a Gretsch 6120DC about a year ago. The silly “mute” they put on those guitars moves the bridge pickup about 3/4” inch or less further away from the bridge than “normal” and it made a noticeable difference to me relative to other Gretsches I had.

Point being, i think once you move that pickup closer to the middle you are getting to tonal no-mans-land.

But that’s just me. I’m sure its highly axe dependent.

cap10kirk

Could you please post a pic? I'm used to seeing the P90's pretty close, like on this one.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...MI_8muldW52QIVzLrACh14uQqiEAAYASAAEgLK4PD_BwE

That one is really close to the bridge, I don't remember the vintage LP Juniors I've played having the pickup quite that close...might have been because of how the bridge was adjusted to intonate it.
Mine isn't a Les Paul either, so that makes a difference too.

skoQOrU.jpg

Beakertwang

That one is really close to the bridge, I don't remember the vintage LP Juniors I've played having the pickup quite that close...might have been because of how the bridge was adjusted to intonate it.
Mine isn't a Les Paul either, so that makes a difference too.

skoQOrU.jpg

Yeah, Reverend does leave a bit more space than normal on the Sensei Jr and 290.

Top Bottom