1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

a thread about bad acting

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by shane88, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Mike Alan

Mike Alan Member

[​IMG]

John Hurtt and 84superchamp like this.
  2. AbstractLunatic

AbstractLunatic Member

Sean Young...

How does she get roles?

3. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

Patrick Wayne, NOT a chip off the old block.

4. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

I like most of the dude's movies...but a great and versatile actor he is not.

5. jazzfromhell

jazzfromhell Member

Adam Sandler.
    I'm sure someone must've mentioned him in this long thread. All others mentioned (McConnauheighh, Keanu, Costner et al) are bonafide Jedi Masters of acting compared to that guy.

vladimirwolfe likes this.
  6. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

I think Hoffman has been cast outside of his range more often. I don’t often buy him as a guy in charge or a gristled military guy. I do as a NYC actor or dad. But otherwise he’s like seeing The Fonz as a tough guy for the first time and not as a kid in the 70s. Very unbelievable.

7. Timcito

Timcito Member

I didn't see that one, but his performance as Sir Lancelot in First Knight is one of the most ineffectual that I can remember. He seems more or less like a modern American in funny clothes and a sword instead of a modern American firearm. It's about as mythical and magical as an episode of Hawaii Five-0.

sacakl likes this.
  8. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

I remember reading an interview at some point where the swordsman who had to train Gere said the actor was, to put it mildly, not a natural when it came to sword fighting, in contrast to Antonio Banderas, who apparently became quite accomplished when training for that lame Zorro film he made.

sacakl likes this.
  9. jimmyj

jimmyj Member

I once saw "King Solomon's Mines" (not the 1950's version) on a flight to Europe. It had Sharon Stone before she was famous and Richard Chamberlain. It was hilariously bad.

[​IMG]

10. A-Bone

There's some good stuff about those films in the Cannon Group documentary Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films.

jimmyj and IGuitUpIGuitDown like this.
  11. IGuitUpIGuitDown

IGuitUpIGuitDown Member

Hell, the red to yellow gradient typography effect on the film title alone just screams it's a Raiders rip-off.

A-Bone and chillybilly like this.
  12. chillybilly

chillybilly Member

He was/is a SNAG - Sensitive New Age Guy. Louder than Gloria Steinem on supporting ERA in the 70s. Perceived to have audience appeal as such. Not a political statement, just a historical note.

It's one of my fave films and I agree completely but...Francis was probably part of the old-line star-making system, possibly under studio contract. In the Wouk book, Willie was an equally halting, spoiled, stiff mama's boy so maybe it was lazy and/or accurate typecasting. As you say, he had a thankless task among that cast. Let's cut him a break, as he died in the crash of his small airplane about a year after the film's release.

PS - what have they done to IMDB? Amazon bought it and are choking the life out of it, eliminating sections and forcing format changes on everyone. They have a smug, smarmy PR rep claiming that the user base 'demanded' the layout changes but there are many who are protesting loudly.

My overrated-can't-stand-her is Julianne Moore. 'Oh, she's 50+ years old - she doesn't look it!'....'She's so petite!'

Great. So she wears clothes meant for a 20 year old and looks like a Bunny Rancher. In the meantime, she's a horrid actress. Her bag of tricks totals just 2:

1) Squint and whisper to convey emotional intensity
    2) Cry & laugh simultaneously to express happiness, sadness, exasperation, etc. etc. etc.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    marl likes this.
  13. IGuitUpIGuitDown

IGuitUpIGuitDown Member

Or a Sinbad off The Eye Of The Tiger.

84superchamp and A-Bone like this.
  14. HammyD

HammyD Supporting Member

I have to agree.

Many years ago I went to a small movie theater in Tryon, NC. And an old venue that sold beer and popcorn to those of us who sat in the balcony. Mostly occupied by transplanted New Yorkers who had been in the south for many years. That's night's feature was the remake of "Cape Fear."

DeNiro's "Southern accent" was so bad, even to our ears, that the audience erupted into laughter when he spoke his first line.

I appreciate his talent. But casting DeNiro as a Southern or a Midwesterner is sort of like casting Jim Carey as Othello.

15. A-Bone

Somebody get Sony on the phone...

aman74, CosmicCowboy and HammyD like this.
  16. Cal Webway

Cal Webway Silver Supporting Member

Thank you. On the strong personality icon ones... I just hv a prejudical filter on negative reacting to their distinct vocal or etc characterstics, or similar roles or type of movies, movie to movie. That's just me.
    Yes, a 'newish' actor is nice too.

84superchamp likes this.
  17. Hallogallo

Hallogallo Member

Or Canoe as Siddartha.
    [​IMG]

18. A-Bone

It's certainly an interesting Bertolucci film.

Hallogallo likes this.
  19. ChorusCrackpot

ChorusCrackpot Member

You just made me think of Garth Marenghi's: Darkplace, a television show about a fictional incredibly tacky early 1980s hospital horror thriller series. General Hospital meets The Twighlight Zone?

There's a slide in it that quotes the play King Lear, page 46 ("This cold night will turn us all to fools and madmen".)

A-Bone likes this.
  20. ChorusCrackpot

ChorusCrackpot Member

Coincidentally I just bought that movie on DVD. For John Candy. His voice acting of the robot with the big cone-shaped ears is hilarious!