• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

A thread for lesser-known Small Builders

MarkF786

In another thread we were discussing smaller builders who are still developing their reputation and business, and thus have great prices. Think about some of the big names now who demand top dollar for their guitars because they have a strong reputation and customer base - but in the beginning when their names were lesser-known, they had much lower prices to attract customers, and those who bought their guitars were very fortunate to get them for such a good price.

So to help both these newer small builders - and to help their potential customers find them - I'm asking for people to list any lesser-known small builders who have good prices. It's preferable that you also provide a link to their website or at least share some pictures of their work; if all we have to go by is a name, it's hard to stimulate interest. And any small builders who want to add themselves to the thread, please do!

I hoping we can find some future stars and help the little guys build their success.

Mark

Mainesails

While I know that there have been several threads here about us, as co-owner, I would like to introduce Cp Thornton Guitars.

Jay Wright has called us "the most underpriced guitar in America".

As a company that has been around for only 3 1/2 years, we're proud of the recognition we've received in the ToneQuest Report and Vintage Guitar, but have a long way to go!

We have literally thousands of pictures of our guitars up on our website (cpthorntonguitars.com).

Here are a couple of samples:

The Elite:

Here's a Fusion (with a custom-ordered satin finish):

My Thanks,

pcovers

I really like that simple but significant style mod ot the classic strat look in the Fusion above.

Route234

Yea I was so happy to see someone finally come up with a new formula for a strat. Its been so boring to see countless takes on the same crap on these boards.

MarkF786

Hey Rich,

Coincidentally, I just saw a used Thornton hollow-body at Sam Ash this weekend. I was in a hurry so I didn't get a chance to check it out but I'll have to go back to try it out.

Your Fusion guitar looks sweet! I'll have to spend some time browsing your website tonight after work.

Kind regards,

Mark

XXL-Guitars

Excellent thread idea...
My name is Marc Lupien and I have been building XXL Guitars for the last 6 years. XXL Guitars are chambered electric guitars built very light. I will be present at the Montreal Guitar Show (www.montrealguitarshow.com) for the second year!

Here is a photo of my convertible model, the neck pick-up has a very mellow, jazzy, sound while the bridge pick-up has a much brighter sound. The combination of the two pick-ups gives a very funky sound.

Here's a couple of photos of my single-cut model.

This is my double cut model... in a grenadine sunburst!

Many more photos are available on my flickr page...

Baloney

southest guitars are good guitars. warren is the man

gary kramer is making a comback he makes good stuff too.

MarkF786

Bruce,

I've been admiring your guitars in Premier Guitar. I read up on the backstory of John Backlund Design's; it's pretty interesting and cool! I always appreciate a builder who is doing something different, and I love the looks of your guitars. I hope to get the chance to play one someday.

Mark

hendrix2430

Damian Probett from Probett Guitars in the UK (mouldynudger from this forum) deserves a mention. I have one of his guitars (+ one on order) and it's on par with the highest quality guitars I've had. (if not better).

Quinny

Another one from the UK, www.morgancustomguitars.com. Neil Morgan (member here, under his own name) is a one man show based a stone's throw on the Welsh side of the England/Wales border. I could be accused of bias as he's become at least as much of a friend as someone I've had musical dealings with, but I'm choosey about where my money goes and it's gone his way a couple of times. Neil's stuff has gone from strength to strength over the years, to the point where now he's getting up there amongst the best of them - no mean feat considering building isn't his actual primary job. He has in the past had a few standard models of his own, but is open minded and likes new challenges and custom work.

Below is my latest arrival from him, 335 sized flat top LP special kind of thing. Fantastic instrument!

Q.

Rick Maguire

Gold Supporting Member
Sweet thread, thanks for the venue from all us littler guys. Rick Maguire from Rhode Island here. Just completed my new workshop and am poised and ready to go on my next batch. I will be prototyping some new body styles on this round. Among the new models will be a few different hollow bodies and a chambered solid body. My solid bodies are typically neck-thru but I will be offering a set neck model also, in order to lower the price a bit. New body style as well, similar to the old with a larger offset top horn. http://maguireguitars.com/ Have a look! Thanks again.

aoguitars

Sweet thread, thanks for the venue from all us littler guys. Rick Maguire from Rhode Island here. Just completed my new workshop and am poised and ready to go on my next batch. I will be prototyping some new body styles on this round. Among the new models will be a few different hollow bodies and a chambered solid body. My solid bodies are typically neck-thru but I will be offering a set neck model also, in order to lower the price a bit. New body style as well, similar to the old with a larger offset top horn. http://maguireguitars.com/ Have a look! Thanks again.

Hey Rick, we have a mutual friend in Nat Saywell. He pointed me towards your site a little while back, and I keep meaning to get in touch with you. Cool stuff you got going on down there, man!

BettyFjord

Damian Probett from Probett Guitars in the UK (mouldynudger from this forum) deserves a mention. I have one of his guitars (+ one on order) and it's on par with the highest quality guitars I've had. (if not better).
+1 for all of that.

Damian is a superb builder and his guitars are beautifully, and thoughtfully, made. I've had a chance to play a few and they were excellent. I particularly liked his hollow t-style. Also, Damian is a great guy and a pleasure to deal with.

Trending Topics