A Tone thread.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Eugene Wallace, Mar 18, 2020.

1. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Supporting Member

Just wanted to add, Jack Pearson plays a Squier strat. Carry on...

rhinocaster, Cousin and JmpOne like this.
  2. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Supporting Member

It's odd you seem to be approaching replies and commenting, but not to the poster, but to everyone else. Like it's a social experiment. I prefer conversations. This is weird. But, I am reading.

3. Ron Kirn

Ron Kirn Gold Supporting Member Vendor

let's se.. I guess the choice is take all this information.. memorize it.. take it to the guitar shop,,. recite exactly what ya want in the guitar.. knowing, since your requests were followed exactly you will go home with a guitar you KNOW will deliver the sound you want.. :rolleyes: Heheheh...

or.. go to the shop.. and trust the Luthier, or just pick up one you and play it, see if ya like it, If ya don't like it sit it down and try another, if ya find one ya do like, take it home...

r

4. bigben55

bigben55 Member

^ie, pretty much what EVERYONE does

5. Hofnarr

Hofnarr Member

Are we witnessing a human being fail the Turing test here? Eerie.

6. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

the only remarkable tone i seem to hear from you is unpleasant, bloated with unwarrantable hubris & rank condescension, filled with a huge hump at approx. 330Hz.
    also waaaay too much crackling high end, too many spikes in the upper mids.
    nas-T, bro.

7. larry1096

larry1096 Member

As expected, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

I'm sure we're being rolled here....nobody is *this* clueless.

Larry

rhinocaster likes this.
  8. splatt

i love the color of the fiddle in your avatar, larry!

9. larry1096

larry1096 Member

Holy Schnikes, David Torn complimented one of my guitars! Truly, sincerely appreciate that, Sir. It's a Mercedes color, to be honest. ;)

Larry

10. korus

korus Member

The internet is a social experiment in vivo. Nothing even remotely similar ever existed in last ~10.000 years of our history. It is the first of it's kind, with no prior relevant experience to optimize it.

Hence, the unusual, the uncommon within it.

11. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

It's all pretty clear to me.

Eugene is a Bro-bot.

12. Hofnarr

Hofnarr Member

Not to mention a fairly ... idiosyncratic relationship to the English language.

splatt and larry1096 like this.
  13. splatt

14. zguitar71

zguitar71 Supporting Member

I have gone through many guitars over the years. Long ago I fell into the scenario stated way back on the first page of this thread and bought what I assumed was a killer guitar with killer tone. It is an ES347 from 1981. I was 21 at the time I bought it and didn’t really know much about tone or pickups and understood more about brands than anything. I played that guitar for 20 years and have worn the finish off in many spots and also tried to get better tone, mostly in vain. I tried different amps and it worked to a degree but other guitars I acquired over the years sounded better through them. There were things the guitar did that were good but other areas where it just was dull. I started to play more acoustic instruments along the way, primarily arch tops. This changed my ears for the better. I started to apply what I heard from these guitars to electric guitars.

Now it is nearly 30 years since I bought the 347 used back in ‘91. I still have the guitar because of sentimental reasons but I rarely play it. I have a love for all things Les Paul (I love a good Strat and Tele too) though I don’t own and actual Les Paul. I base all electric purchases on acoustic tone only. The electronics are changeable the guitar itself isn’t. I have a Tokai Special that is quite the perfect, to my ears, mid range nasal beast just like I like it. It doesn’t conform to what may be thought of as the right recipe, it is a two piece body and has a plasticity thick finish but it makes the right tone for me. I bought it over vintage versions and boutique versions that were big $. Going this route with my ears only can bring about guitars I never thought I would own and I love it. I get the platform and match the pickups to it. If I want to emphasize the mids or lows or highs I can with the electronics, I can transfer the natural sound of the guitar through the amp. The amp is a whole other thread and very important too. Rule of thumb on the guitar and amp for me is less is more, no pedals and one channel without a master.
    I finally pulled out the over wound dirty fingers pickups in the 347 and put in some low wound pickups and gave the guitar a much better amplified sound but it still isn’t as good as the other electrics I have and never will be and that is sad. In the end though the best guitar I own is a 1947 Epiphone Triumph, that guitar makes me a better player and takes me deeper into music than any electric can.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
    Sean Mac, Eugene Wallace and Cousin like this.
  15. korus

korus Member

A short intermission of regular program.

It is important to stay calm at these times. There will be more of 'unusual' behavior everywhere as numbers increase and fear caused by them. New cases are doubled in last 3-4 days outside of China. We will have more than a million in next several days.

Stay calm and help others stay calm too. We are not mindless animals, we are humans.

Do bear in mind at every moment- no harsh responses to people losing ground. Help them regain it instead by showing them calmness, so they can do it too.

Now back to regular program.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  16. Cousin

Cousin Member

I'm awfully glad that Leo Nocentelli didn't record all those amazing Meters tracks with some classically rich, typically "wonderful" guitar tone-I love how he sounds!
    Keith's solo on the studio version of Sympathy For The Devil? What the hell makes that sound? Love it.
    BB king Live at the Regal? .....if only someone had explained to him that his guitar had a plywood body...Love it, it speaks for itself.
    David Torn, thank you for posting, those are some whacked out and wonderful sounds you're dishing out!

There's so many ways to sound great, and with so many different tone sources, I'm glad tone doesn't mean one particular thing. Keep playing everybody and stay healthy!

17. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

dirtyguitar and Cousin like this.
  18. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

Spot on.

I was fortunate enough to meet and befriend one of the original Fender Custom Shop masterbuilders and spent quite a bit of time at his house experiencing different instruments. He built lots of guitars for Clapton, Sambora and other top names. He helped created the signature guitars for Danny Gatton and Albert Collins. He worked as a guitar tech on tour with Bob Dyland and the Rolling Stones.

The guy knows guitars (an understatement) and was always very particular about resonance since it really changes what happens with the guitar at stage volumes that most people will never experience. Too much resonance and you have runaway frequencies and you may as well be playing a hollowbody guitar....it just doesn't work.

Ironically that 'cannon' that someone is playing at home can be useless to someone like SRV pounding out licks at very high volumes....he found several guitars that worked for him in his sonic situation and his string gauge/tuning/touch for that one type of Strat tone. His guitars had different kinds of pickups, woods, neck sizes....and, not surprisingly, they all sounded a bit different. None of them sound bad...even the maligned red '62 didn't sound bad. Others have played it in different environments and it sounds wonderful.

JPH118, Cousin, JmpOne and 1 other person like this.
  19. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

The OP pretty much made it explicit in the first couple of posts.

I agree with your advice. SRV's playing style, the way he attacked a guitar, had a lot to do with his sound.

Cousin likes this.