A Tone thread.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Eugene Wallace, Mar 18, 2020.

1. johnsav

johnsav Member

I did an experiment years ago- allowing termites to completely remove the wood under the poly finish of my unicorn SRV guitar.
    Not only did this reduce the guitar's weight substantially, but the tone was the same.
    Yes, tonezone people, tone is in the poly.

Cousin likes this.
  2. dreamingaxe

dreamingaxe Member

man, that sounds good.

Cousin and rhinocaster like this.
  3. HoneyNut

HoneyNut Member

Scale length
    String guage/material,
    Pickup type/material
    Amp type
    Plectrum, nails or flesh
    Wrist or Elbow

These are what produces sound for an 'electric guitar'. Wood type makes no difference whatsoever. Plastic or different types of plastics will have the same variation in tone/timbre that we obsess over in regards to wood type.

Tone wood wll be labelled mythology soon enough, honestly. But I understand the need to justify tradition/dogma/false gods. I am not going to offend someone's belief.

dreamingaxe likes this.
  4. Hudman_1

Hudman_1 Member

SRV used many guitars and many amps on recordings. He sounds like SRV no matter what he plays. Claiming you can hear the difference between his guitars means your hearing would challenge a canine.

dreamingaxe likes this.
  5. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

I read "kHz" (not Hz) and figured you were leg-pullin', which is a perfectly respectable pastime. :)

6. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

7. Eugene Wallace

Eugene Wallace Member

This is the most valuable post in this thread.

8. Sean Mac

Sean Mac Supporting Member

“When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less. '

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  9. Sean Mac

'The question is,' said Alice, 'whether you can make words mean so many different things.'

'The question is,' said Humpty Dumpty, 'which is to be master — that's all.'

Alice was too much puzzled to say anything; so after a minute Humpty Dumpty began again. 'They've a temper, some of them — particularly verbs: they're the proudest — adjectives you can do anything with, but not verbs — however, I can manage the whole lot of them! Impenetrability! That's what I say!'

10. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

11. Sean Mac

'Would you tell me please,' said Alice, 'what that means?'

'Now you talk like a reasonable child,' said Humpty Dumpty, looking very much pleased. 'I meant by "impenetrability" that we've had enough of that subject, and it would be just as well if you'd mention what you mean to do next, as I suppose you don't mean to stop here all the rest of your life.'

'That's a great deal to make one word mean,' Alice said in a thoughtful tone.

'When I make a word do a lot of work like that,' said Humpty Dumpty, 'I always pay it extra.'

'Oh!' said Alice. She was too much puzzled to make any other remark.

splatt and Thumpalumpacus like this.
  12. Hofnarr

Hofnarr Member

This degree of arrogance is almost admirable, in a strange way.

13. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

Is it just me or is his schtick getting boring?

14. Sean Mac

'Ah, you should see 'em come round me of a Saturday night,' Humpty Dumpty went on, wagging his head gravely from side to side, 'for to get their wages, you know.'

(Alice didn't venture to ask what he paid them with; and so you see I can't tell you.)

'You seem very clever at explaining words, Sir,' said Alice. 'Would you kindly tell me the meaning of the poem called "Jabberwocky"?'

'Let's hear it,' said Humpty Dumpty. 'I can explain all the poems that ever were invented — and a good many that haven't been invented just yet.'

15. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

That would be a pretty obnoxious frequency to boost (on the average guitar track), since it would get kind of messy and fight for space with the punch of an electric bass. (In general, all caveats included, YMMV, etc):)

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  16. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

Yeah, I already answered Splatt's reply to that post as well.

Sean Mac likes this.
  17. Sean Mac

'You should learn not to make personal remarks,' Alice said with some severity; 'it's very rude.'

The Hatter opened his eyes very wide on hearing this; but all he said was, 'Why is a raven like a writing-desk?'

'Come, we shall have some fun now!' thought Alice. 'I'm glad they've begun asking riddles. — I believe I can guess that,' she added aloud.

'Do you mean that you think you can find out the answer to it?' said the March Hare.

'Exactly so,' said Alice.

18. Sean Mac

'Then you should say what you mean,' the March Hare went on.

'I do,' Alice hastily replied; 'at least — at least I mean what I say — that's the same thing, you know.'

'Not the same thing a bit!' said the Hatter. 'You might just as well say that "I see what I eat" is the same thing as "I eat what I see"!'

'You might just as well say,' added the March Hare, 'that "I like what I get" is the same thing as "I get what I like"!'

'You might just as well say,' added the Dormouse, who seemed to be talking in his sleep, 'that "I breathe when I sleep" is the same thing as "I sleep when I breathe"!'

'It is the same thing with you,' said the Hatter, and here the conversation dropped, and the party sat silent for a minute, while Alice thought over all she could remember about ravens and writing-desks, which wasn't much.

19. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

I can’t keep up! :)

Thumpalumpacus and Sean Mac like this.
  20. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Silver Supporting Member

You just said Ron Thorn, the Masterbuilder who realigned that Squier strat neck....is a BS builder.....wow......so much for "no room for insults"....

What a hypocrite....

saltbird, dreamingaxe, JmpOne and 3 others like this.