A Tough Choice- Bad Cat or Reeves? Help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by kodecar, May 24, 2008.

1. kodecar

kodecar Member

So I am looking for a little input form my fellow TGP'rs. I sold an amp to try something different. I have my choices narrowed down to two.

Bad Cat Hot Cat 30 112
    Reeves Custom 30 112

I'd love to hear some opinions as to which one and why.

Thanks

2. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

I can vouch for Reeves in general. Excellent construction and tone. I have the Custom 6 and Custom 12. Want a Custom 30 at some point. Bad Cats and Matchless are similar IMO. I have a Lightening Clone and its an excellent amp as well. I don't think you would go wrong with either generally speaking.

3. kodecar

kodecar Member

So basically, you're saying that I need them both. I agree!!

Can you now help me get that past my wife? :D

4. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

When you figure out how to get THAT one past the wife, share it with all of us.

5. trinian1

trinian1 Supporting Member

I have a Bad Cat Hot Cat 30 1x12. I love it. My main gripe is that it's so stinkin' heavy. It weighs over 70 lbs.--you can't just toss it around. It sounds great, though, and it's quite versatile--almost too much so! You can dial in the gain side in lots of different ways, and each way sounds good but responds a little differently. The clean sounds great, too, and gets really ballsy by about 11:00. It also gets quite loud at that volume. I haven't played a Reeves, so I can't say anything for the comparison, but the Bad Cat definitely does a great EL-34 sound without being a Marshall or Hiwatt clone.

6. FFTT

FFTT Member

The Reeves Custom 30 has been fairly accurately descibed as 1/3 JTM 45 and 2/3's Hiwatt.
    Bill at Reeves says the output is closer to 35 watts.
    You're still not going to get that true Classic Hiwatt clean headroom without
    going to the Custom 50 or CP504, but still the Custom 30
    is a remarkable amp, especially for classic rock and will probably give you just a smidge more clean headroom over the Hot Cat.

I have to agree with the others that this would be a very difficult choice
    between the two amps, for both have their strong points and both are very
    well built.

The Hot Cats have wonderful warm cleans with a bit of EL34 hair on it and
    a highly versatile OD section.
    Overall the high plate voltage of the Hot Cats may be preferred
    if you tend to play more overdriven leads.
    With the factory ABY switch you can choose clean to crunch in the clean
    channel then go from shimmering Vox style clean with a light attack to rage in the OD channel or blend the two channels.
    The Hot Cats are very touch sensitive.

With either amp the choice of speakers and the cab design make a tremendous difference in your overall tone.

7. Mayflower

Mayflower Supporting Member

8. kodecar

kodecar Member

Love them. If I had (almost) twice what I do to spend, it would be a King Cobra in the Charcoal/Silver sparkle like I posted on your re-cover thread. :drool

I do already have an original H/C-30 though. :AOK

9. FFTT

FFTT Member

Fortunately, there are some good deals on used Bad Cats, so that may
    help you in your decision.
    The Classic Cat and Black Cat are also great choices.

Personally, I prefer more power in my primary clean amp, so
    with that in mind, I'd probably go for the Reeves Custom 50
    for those classic Hiwatt tones.
    Unfortunately, the 50 might be too loud for your situation, dunno.

The Hot Cat 100R has a 1/2 power switch, so that's what sold me on my 100R. I also got an insanely great deal on it used.

I suppose the best answer may be to look at what your sonic priorities are
    and which amp is best suited to get the sounds that you're missing in what you already have.

10. Probos

Probos Gold Supporting Member

I'll be able to answer this directly in about another 2 weeks after my Reeves Custom 30 1x12 arrives. :BEER

I currently own a Bad Cat Hot Cat 30R combo. It's an outstanding amp, both channels will give you stellar tones -- the clean side is really something.

At this point I can say that the Hot Cat will is more capable of giving you a more modern tone for distortion and has a lot more gain. The Custom 30 is much more vintage in it's vibe from what Bill told me and when listening to the clips on the Reeves site.

11. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

Yes, that is really the kind of advice need on TGP. What amp to but, what guitar? That is easy ;)

to the question on hand.... Reeves would have more control over the volume, if that is important.

12. kodecar

kodecar Member

While I imagine that the Power Scaling on the Reeves will do it better, does anyone have any opinions on how well the Hot Cat master volume works? I know it will have killer tones at volume but does it work well at lower volumes also?