• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

A trip down memory lane...

fishlog

Silver Supporting Member
Ok this thread will hopefully serve two purposes.

I was thinking back last night at my first ever pedal a DOD American Metal. I was trying to remember if it was any good. Of course back then I was just happy to have that much distortion running through my little Epiphone practice amp.

Does anyone ever remember owning that pedal?

My Second pedal ever was a Boss Turbo Overdrive I thought it was beautiful!

was it?

Anyway was just curious what some peoples other first pedals where what they thought of them then and what they might think of them NOW?

Mine was a Dunlop Crybaby... only sounded good when it was engaged (bypass sucks) and only worked for so many months before I bought a second. I stopped buying them because they weren't that durable (it wasn't like I was gigging or even taking it out of my bedroom).... haven't bought a crybaby since. After the wah I bought a Rocktek Flanger (which I didn't know how to pronounce) and an Ibanez Classic Metal Soundtank. From there I moved on to the wonderful world of multi-fx units: the Ibanez PT5 and Korg AX30G. I feel like I must have been developing an ear somewhat because I hated the user presets. I also started to play at my high school jazz band at this point after a couple years of dabbling.

It was a while before I started getting in to effects again... but from there I started buying single effects: a Vox Valvetone (a good ts knockoff), Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus and Danecho. All three from a trip to Mars Music.

And then I discovered boutique effects, my next pedal was a Menatone Blue Collar. Then fast forward to a couple of years later and I was lurking around here.

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
Not the actual pedals since they are long gone now, but here's my first buncha pedals:

an Ibanez TS-10 Tube Screamer:

a block logo MXR Dyna Comp:

an Ibanez FL-9 Flanger:

a Boss PS-2 Digital Pitch Shifter Delay:

a black EH Small Stone:

and finally a black EH Big Muff.

This was 20 years ago. Looking back, WHY DID I EVER GET RID OF THESE!!! plus, why didn't I get a pedalboard for these? i just tossed them all in a duffel bag with those crappy colored patch cables and a cheap power strip and spare batteries. Man, those were the days. I picked these guys up for 20 bucks a pop here and there at local pawn shops, sometimes less - the whole bag's worth was less than 100 bucks as i recall. which at the time i thought was a lot, since you could get a 70's Strat for $400 and a 70's LP Custom for $500.

Last edited:

mobis8

My first pedal was a DOD supra distortion, followed by a Grunge pedal...

I was just learning how guitar players got different types of sound (as I learned how to play on an acoustic, then got into a HUGE metallica phase). I absolutely loved them when I first got them.... Then I discovered two channel amps with amp gain...

Man how times have changed...

blastastick

The first real pedal I remember having was a Maxon TS-9 Tube Screamer I bought in Japan. That thing is probably worth a fortune now. I have no idea where it went.

metz420

Gold Supporting Member
I think I remember that DOD pedal. Wasn't it bright pink or florescent yellow? I seem to remember two very similar sounding metal pedals DOD had out as described. Maybe Thrash Metal or something..

My firs pedal was a BOSS Metal Zone...kind of a bittersweet pick out of the gate. It was, and still is, a great pedal. However, I naively assumed all pedals would sound good in their own right and that simply isn't the case. Hence my constant GAS and boutique fetish.

Twangmaster

first 'pedal' if you will... Anybody remember when EH had the fuzz that didn't sit on the floor, but plugged directly into the guitar? probably around '69-70 timeframe. Yep, had one of them things. Then I decided to try something on the floor, and being that my dad was big into ham radio, i picked up a Heathkit Fuzz. great cast iron enclosure... other than that, it sounded pretty close to the noise a cat makes when it's caught in the dryer.

Kentano2000

Gold Supporting Member
DOD Flanger

EH Memory Man

Boss HM1, too.

All into a Peavey Bandit. Oh to be 16 again!

screamtone

Silver Supporting Member
Ok this thread will hopefully serve two purposes.

I was thinking back last night at my first ever pedal a DOD American Metal. I was trying to remember if it was any good. Of course back then I was just happy to have that much distortion running through my little Epiphone practice amp.

Does anyone ever remember owning that pedal?
Here is your chance to relive your youth. If memory serves, it's probably a little overpriced.

chuckmoose

The first thing I remember buying was a Big Muff around 1980. Man I hated that thing.

The sales guy at the store was trying to talk me out of the Muff and into this cool green overdrive pedal, but it was way too smooth sounding, a TS80... something...?

fishlog

Silver Supporting Member
You know after seeing all these pictures I remember my American Metal had 4 knobs and was actually the Super American Metal!

MORE BARN

Never used pedals...not that I don't like the sounds, it's just that I have too much to keep track of in my mind from day to day and anything I can eliminate from the thought chain the better :D

HeartfeltDawn

My first pedal was a purple Boss flanger (BF-2?). I still have no idea why exactly I thought a flanger would be a good choice. A week later I bought a Turbo Distortion and things became a lot mroe interesting :)

Franktone

Gold Supporting Member
My first pedal was given to me by a neighbour in 1968, and it was a well used Hornby Skewes "Zonk Machine". This was an early distortion pedal and was fun to use.

Trending Topics