a true 2-channel 1x12 open-back combo w/reverb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mattmccloskey, Jul 12, 2005.

1. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

I was thinking how nice it would be to have a true 2-channel amp in a 1x12 combo, with nice reverb, an open-back (or semi-open) cab, that is reasonable weight.
    NOW, before everyone jumps in with their fav amp- I mean a real channel switcher. That means seperate clean and dirty channels, with separate eq controls, volumes and gain. Must be footswitchable, must have reverb, must be available in a 1x12 that does not weigh 80 pounds.

The only amps I can think of that come close are the Bogner shiva (but closed back and heavy as guilt), the Carr Slant 6v (if you have the reverb added to both channels) ...
    what else ?
    p.s.- I am aware that the meteor 2 has these features, but the lead channel is non-master and stinkin loud just to get some gain. I mean channel switchers with actual master volumes on the lead side.

2. duffyguitarman

duffyguitarman Member

Check out the new Egnater Modular 50 watt 1 12" combo. I helped tweak a couple of the Fender modules with Bruce and Frank. I will probably be getting one soon. 2 totaly seperate channels(each with 2 switchable gain stages, thereby getting 4 usable sounds). It weighs in at around 48lbs, reverb, semi-open back. There are a wide variety of modules to suit any needs, from Fender to Vox to Marshall, ect. Not much up on the website yet, but give them a call. They will talk to you, Bruce and Frank are great people. www.egnater.com

Peace,
    Duffy King

3. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

You can get a Two-Rock in a 112 combo configuration, and I'm sure there are other great options out there as well.

If you got an Onyx, you'd have a true 2 channel, separate EQ, separate gains, separate reverb controls, etc. amp.

My Onyx head isn't all that heavy, so I'm sure a combo would not be too bad.

4. scottl

scottl Member

Fuchs TDS. 3 channels. Fully non Dumble inspired clean (with its own preamp tube set to a different bias point) and then the SLX side. Any tone you could ever want. It even has a response switch on the back that converts the screen supply to a squishy mode.

Scott

5. mude

mude Supporting Member

One of the fairly recent Carr Slant 6V is really worth considering. I had an old one, but the more recent one was quite impressive IMO. Get verb on both channels and a boost for the overdrive channel if you like. PTP, gushes quality. Good stuff.

SL already mentioned the 3 channel Fuchs. Played one at Boutique Guitar Exchange in Atlanta. Very cool and worth checking out. I suspect it will be rare in combo form for a while. Not sure what the weight would be (I played a head at BGE).

VHT Pitbull 45 give you lots of features and 2 completely seperate channels. The 1x12 is about 50 pounds (similar to the Carr by the way). Loop, verb, class switch, boost for each channel, etc.

More ideas to come I'm sure.

Evan.

6. TIG

TIG Member

Rivera.....

7. tjs

tjs Senior Member

You can get a Kingsley Deluxe 32 made with footswitchable channels for a bit more money.

Not sure what kind of music you play, though, so it may not be what you're looking for.

8. davetcan

davetcan Supporting Member

Zinky Blue Velvet !

9. duffyguitarman

duffyguitarman Member

Yeah Les, I have not had a chance to check out an Onyx. I really like my Custom Reverb alot, but Matt specified "seperate eq". My TR Custom Reverb 50 Combo only weighs about 47lbs, so I bet an Onyx would not be much more.

Peace,
    Duffy

10. ArthurS

ArthurS Member

Well, I don't know how you define 'true 2-channel', but even my Traynor YCV40 has two separate channels (drive and clean), with separate EQ's, separate volume controls (and gain on the dirty channel), spring reverb and it's an open-backed 1x12 that's acceptable weight. The channels are also footswitchable and it definitely weighs less than eighty pounds, even with a Celestion CL80.

I'm probably missing something with this 'true 2-channel' though, judging from the class of amps that has been mentioned by the posters before me.

11. mattmccloskey

yes the tranyor has 2 seperate channels, as do riveras. To be honest I would prefer a higher end build quality, something along the quality of aiken, carr, dr. z,etc. It isn't a snob type thing at all, I just have come to prefer certain types of construction, tranny size, components,etc.
    Evan, that is cool to hear about the slant6v. I had a super early model that was nice, but back then it did not have the reverb on both channels option, and did not even have footswiching, just 2 inputs. Plus I know there has been tweaks to the OD side over time to refine it and smooth it out.
    I still love my aikens but down the road another channel switcher would be a nice addition.

12. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Mesa Mavericks are pretty cool. The gain channel is a bit over the top for me though. If it had two channel ones, that amp would kill!

13. lanesmat

lanesmat Member

Unless you *must have* point to point, non PCB setup, Rivera would be well worth listening to. Taking nothing away from the new Traynors (I own an old Traynor as well as a Peavey Classic), I would not put the new Traynors and Riveras as having the same build.

Scott L.

14. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Another vote for the Maverick. :dude

15. Ken

Ken Member

I think Matt wants something that maybe we have thought about also...

A great clean channel like the Rambler and then a great overdrive channel like the Aiken...But in a lighter all in one combo...around 40 - 45 pounds.

A Fender meets Marshall in a small compact light carry around package...Not sure if this is possible because to get the great saturated tube tone maybe the tranny would have to be really be heavy? Not sure...

16. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Mesa Maverick or Rivera

17. mattmccloskey

Ken, that is exactly the type of thing I am talking about. For example, there are lots of heads with 2 great channels - the OD-100, the Aiken sabre, shiva, etc. If someone took an OD100 or sabre type circuit, added reverb, and put it in a 1x12 combo it would be great. To trim the pounds, knock it down to a 30 watt amp. 30 honest watts is damn loud, and more than enough for gigs with a good speaker. I always thought it would be cool if bogner did a shiva with an open back cab, at about 30 watts or so, perhaps with an ali chassis instead of steel. That would knock quite a few pounds overall off the thing, and give the airy vibe of the open back.
    Riveras are not in the same league IMO. The chubster for example is supposed to be 40 watts, but it has less headroom than a tone king comet at 20 watts. I think the watts are exaggeratted. Plus the stock speakers are kind of cheap, and the reverb is boingy and cheaper sounding.

18. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

I'd vote for a lot of Mesa models.

Older models:

Dual Calibers - DC-2 (22W 2-EL84), DC-3 (35W 4-EL84), DC-5 (50W 2-6L6), which are true 2-channel with switchable contour or graphic EQ depending on the model, which gives near 3-channel versatility. The DC-5 is the heaviest at 59lbs, the others are smaller and lighter.

Maverick - 35W 2-channel, quite rare in the 1x12", smaller and lighter than the DC-5 but (I think) slightly heavier than the DC-3.

Nomad 45 and 55 - three full channels, plus solo boost.

Current production:

Lone Star Special - almost like a Maverick with two clean channels! Plus channel-assignable power-stage switching including singled-ended (5W).

F-30 (22W 2-EL84) and F-50 (50W 2-6L6) - two true channels plus Contour. But the reverb isn't as nice as the others, it's solid-state driven, and sounds it.

Does this sound like a Mesa ad? Probably, but I can't think of many (any?) other companies that have made such a wide range of amps with exactly the features you want - all these amps have two true channels with separate gain, EQ and volume, reverb, high build quality, and in the right weight range. I know this because my requirements are exactly the same (plus I want an FX loop and an overall level control as well as the channel masters) and I ended up with two of them!

19. mbratch

mbratch Member

I own a 50 watt 1x12 combo made by John Nau in Rochester, NY. It's two completely separate channels. Clean channel is Fender DR sound. Overdrive channel is Marshall voiced. Extra features include a pentode/triode switch (it's dual 6L6 based), and a footswitchable "3rd channel" that really selects a lower gain structure for the overdrive channel with an adjustable "pull back" pot that reduces the overdrive down to a nice crunch or slight dirt. The whole thing is ~40 lbs. This is a flexible, great sounding amp.

John doesn't make a "line of amps" but he is more like a tailor who designs an amp to fit your specs. His typical 1x12 combo price is around $1200.

20. Deaj

Deaj Member

If you can give the Rivera amps a try.