1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

A Useful Tool

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by LSchefman, Sep 6, 2006.

1. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

UA Solo 610.

Anyone else discovered this?

Nice direct box, plus nice sounding mic pre in a smallish "lunchbox" style package. Good sounding, low noise for tube gear, very strong "UA flavor". The circuit probably isn't identical to their 2-610, but the sound is very similar, going from memory.

Very useful for getting tube vibe and coloration. Made in Santa Cruz, CA, USA. Not expensive.

2. Cody McLain

Cody McLain Member

Les,
    Any chance you could compare it to the GT Brick, if you've used both? What do the Solo 610's sale for?

3. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

The advertised street price I found is $799.99.

:YinYang

4. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

I've been leaning toward checking out the SS one (model # escapes me). Did you check 'em both out?

5. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

>>Any chance you could compare it to the GT Brick, if you've used both?<<

I've owned the GT direct box, but not the Brick. I can compare the direct box sounds, but not the mic preamps. The GT direct box has a fat sounding direct tone, but it's not transparent. The Solo 610 has adjustable gain; at "3" it reminds me of my Demeter Tube Direct. Very open and deep. At "8" it sounds similar to the GT, maybe it goes a little deeper.

I like an open sounding direct box, so this works better for me at relatively low gain.

>>I've been leaning toward checking out the SS one (model # escapes me). Did you check 'em both out?<<

No, when I got this I needed a tubey sounding direct box for a project. I hear the solid state one is terrific, clean, very hi fi. I may get one of those down the road to have both on hand.

6. elambo

elambo Member

I've always been a fan of UA preamps. Can you dial in the amount of "flavor" with added gain like you can with the 610? That was one of its advantages. Never exactly clean when the gain was at -10, but clean enough, and when you cranked the gain to +10 the warmth was nice.

Is the Solo the same way?

7. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

>>Can you dial in the amount of "flavor" with added gain like you can with the 610?<<

Yup, you sure can.

8. unguitar

unguitar Member

Spl Channel1
    Great, great unit.
    Try to play with the solid state/tube pots.
    have fun, it's a hot unit.
    best,
    luca