a vehicle of yours you were glad to see go.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by 84superchamp, Mar 22, 2015.

1. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

in light of lespaulreedsmith's thread on vehicles you love; what was one you almost immediately thought it was a mistake and couldn't wait to unload it?

mine was a '78 Audi 100LS, 1 year old. it was the last year for that model so i thought surely they would have everything right. nope. new: exhaust, front CV joints, motor mount, radiator, sunroof crank & pulley system, and that's not counting the normal things like brakes.
    it rode like a dream but after 3 years, i was glad to see it go.:peenut

2. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

50's 6Volt Bug... damn thing tried to kill me repeatedly.

3. mrpinter

mrpinter Supporting Member

I had a love/hate relationship with an 81 Porsche 928. I searched for one with a 5 speed in driving condition, and got a good deal on one because it was a little rough on the "little things" (upholstery was bad, had 4 different kinds of tires on it, etc.). But it was in good shape mechanically and the body was sound except for a couple of little scrapes. I immediately put in a bunch of money on new wheels and tires, timing belt (the Achilles heel of 928s) and a new/rebuilt front steering assembly.

Then I happily drove it for a few years, with the occasional expense for fairly routine things for a car of that age, like a water pump. But then the catalytic converter and muffler went bad, and it needed a new clutch, and brakes. Again, routine maintenance on an older car, but this was a Porsche, and even non-OEM parts were terrifically expensive compared to cheaper cars. Because of the catalytic it could no longer pass smog (and be licensed). That was the straw on the camel's back for me. I sold it at a pretty big loss sort of out of self-defense. If I'd had the money to keep that car up I'd still have it.

A word to the wise: sometimes a great deal on an expensive exotic car is, at best, a mixed blessing.

4. Radspin

Radspin Member

1990s Saab Turbo, forget the model number, big sedan. Bought it used off my mother in law. I swear the car was haunted and hated me. My wife never had any problems, but when I drove it, it would blow fuses constantly when I opened or closed the windows, had other electrical glitches, had a battery die on me and had a timing belt go. The last straw...and it's a good thing my wife was there to witness this otherwise she'd surely think I was making it up...one summer afternoon we were about to get into the car and the front hood logo popped off and flew straight at me! Not the entire metal piece, just the plastic part that was inset into it. At that point she started thinking it could be haunted also. Got rid of it shortly thereafter.

If the car hated me, the feeling was mutual.

5. 84superchamp

haha, so far, imports are batting a thousand.

6. pjs ire

pjs ire Member

Every dodge caravan I had- all three. Prr

7. Hwy14

Hwy14 Member

1969 dodge charger- I bought it from a classic car dealer in Warsaw, IN. I knew little about the fine details of chargers. They put a shiny paint job on it, and out the door it went. About $5000 in mechanicals later, it was driveable... About the same time all the bondo was getting ready to fall out..

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  8. 84superchamp

my old stompin grounds! do you remember the dealer's name..i might know them.

9. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Member

Dodge Aspen. Former Ohio Turnpike patrol car. I was smitten with the heavy duty, 4-barrel 360 and ignored that the whole rest of the car was falling apart. And at the time I didn't have money to fix it up. Although to be fair I should say I wasn't saving the little I earned to fix it.

10. Tripower455

Tripower455 Member

My wife's 2006 VW. Worst vehicle, by far, that we have ever owned.

11. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

1980 MGB Ltd Ed. Found Ltd primarily referred to the amount of time it was operable.

Had the wires under the dash catch on fire once while driving. Had to hot wire it to start it for awhile after that...then that wouldn't work and had to keep a screwdriver to jump start it by shorting the starter motor...then starter motor went out and had to always park on a hill or either offer people rides in return for having them help me push start it.

Speedometer quit...had to judge by tach...few months later tach quit and just had to guess.

Headlights went out on I-75 one Sunday night driving back to UGA after dark while following some friends. Had no choice but to drive right behind them for 2 hrs with nothing but flashers working.

Clutch went out...had to pull entire engine to replace the clutch. You can't make this stuff up.

But when it was running it was a lot of fun tightly compressed into a teeny tiny POS.

Felt like a miracle to get $1,000 cash for it from an antique car dealer that shipped it to Germany.

12. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

I've had 3 hunks of junk...

'78 Chevy Chevette. Awful, just awful. Dreadfully underpowered and poor handling. Plus, I had to replace the engine and the transmission before it hit 100k miles. The only good thing was that my grandfather bought it for me from a friend of his who could no longer drive and another friend of his did the repairs at cost.

My wife's '98 Cadillac Catera (rebadged Opel Omega for you Euro types). Bought it used for just under $8k cash. It had constant gadgetry failures and a big expensive transmission repair before I could convince my wife to dump it. At least it resold for about $6k.

'99 Dodge Durango. The last vehicle I leased during the dotcom boom. It had all the bells and whistles and these features kept failing. For example, clicking the key fob while someone was sitting in either front seat caused all accessory electronics to stop working. You get up from the seats, things worked again. Obviously, it was a "Friday afternoon" vehicle.

13. armadillo66

armadillo66 Member

Merkur Scorpio, my wife loved that car, Blaupunk stereo, comfy leather seats, hot running fuel injected V-6, cool car, shot transmission at 32000 miles, fortunately I paid for Ford premium buyer protection when I bought it, they put 4200 worth of tranny in it and it had to cme from Cologne Germany, then brakes started shuddering really bad at 36000 miles and we were told we would need a pair of $515.50 each rotors, I took it to the auto auction and drove home a 4x4 Ford F250 and still hade $8 left over from selling that overpriced lemon

14. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    2 Camaros: a 68 that continually fell apart and a 76 Camaro LT ... a 60,000 mile car that was junk from the word go. The 68 burned so much oil it foul plugs, luckily it broke the timing chain and bent all the valves, the transmission went south, the clutch fan came apart and flew into the radiator, electrical problems, leaky heater core, I hated that car. The 76 was a wobblefest over bumped, everything flexed like a big bowl of jello. Bad valve guides, sagging doors, you name it. :cry:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  15. 84superchamp

:spit

macaw, 2000 Durango here and it's amazing what goes & how quickly: water pump went at 80,000 miles, passenger window before 100,000. runs like a raped ape but sh*t just keeps breaking.

[​IMG]

16. loudboy

loudboy Member

Datsun 610 - my Toyota Celica (fave car ever) died unexpectedly and I needed something quick.

Got it for cheap from a buddy who worked at a dealership.

Rode awful, almost impossible to steer, ugly even as econoboxes go - just not good in general.

[​IMG]

17. Elmer

Elmer hell is chrome

1997 Toyota Camry - biggest POS I have ever owned. It went through 3 transmissions, 2 radiators, and countless smaller things during the 3 years or so I owned it. It was in the shop more than it was on the road and left me stranded more than a couple of times. That one turned me off of Toyotas completely and I haven't bought another one since.

18. Jeff Gehring

Jeff Gehring Silver Supporting Member

One of these: Plymouth Valiant Brougham. Absolute dog and POS.

[​IMG]

19. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Supporting Member

2006 BMW 330xi that I bought in 2010 as an early 40th birthday present.

It was the nicest car I've ever owned, but the expenses were brutal. The run-flat tires lasted 11,000 miles and would have been $1400 for 4. So I put Michelins on, but because there's no room for a full-size spare (unless you want to lose use of the whole trunk), I bought a AAA membership and hoped that fortune would protect me from a puncture.

Batteries were $400 because they had to be 'synced' to the car and a thermostat (which I remember buying for $10 and putting on a Chevy with my grandfather when I was 11) was housed in mini-Sputnik and cost $700 parts and labor at a non-BMW place.

I LOVED the car, but I would never buy a used BMW again and I won't buy/lease a new one until they get rid of the run-flats.

I traded it in on my Acura 2 years ago as it was developing a bit of a 'sound' on one of the cylinders. Let the dealer figure it out.

20. hdahs143

hdahs143 Supporting Member

1986 Ford Bronco II. By far, the biggest POS I ever owned.