A very good compressor

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tambokgt, Oct 7, 2005.

1. tambokgt

tambokgt Member

Hi just want to know which brand of compressor is the best one.

2. Rid

Rid Senior Member

Somewhere out there...;)

3. R3deemed

R3deemed Member

"Best" is a very subjective term. There are some very knowledgable people on this forum, yet getting more than a few people to agree on any one piece of gear as best is a minor miracle.

Here are couple threads to look at. I think many of us will agree that the Boss CS-3 is not the best compressor out there. The second link is a discussion about the Barber and Keeley compressors. They are arguably two of the most popular.

Look here
    And here

4. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Member

Compression is an integral part of my tone and I've tried more than a few expensive "boutique" compressors, but to my ears anyway, they don't seem to do anything the CS-3 can't do. I'm certainly not saying it's the best compressor out there, but for my application, it works better than anything else I've tried so far.

5. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

I wouldn't say the CS-3 is as good as any boutique comp, but there are some tones in the CS-3 that make me keep one arround. You can't argue with the results some of the Nashville heavyweights get using the CS-3, and these are guys who could use whatever they want.

That said, the CS-3 doesn't have the vintage sound like a Dyna Comp or Ross compressor. There are plenty of boutique clones out there for that sound. My favorite (and the one I use) is the4 Analog Man Bi-Comp.

6. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

It would help if you helped us out here a little.

What do YOU want out of the compressor? What are you going to use it for? What style do you play?

Generally, I have tried using compressors for:

1) getting a kind of "more" sound out there. Specially with
    clean sounds, can add a "bubbly" beautiful sound when done right...blues and jazz.

2) even out dynamics...like if I want to strum chords on my strat,
    especially open chords a little compression helps them ring out and sound even on all strings, etc.

3) As a slight boost for solos. Setting volume and compression.

4) as a slight dip in volume, but helping the lower volume cut through a mix.

5) as an effect in its' own rite...overcompressed on purpose for
    an effect.

6) as a weapon...oops...no that one was a lie. It may SOUND dangerous but I have never brandished on in anger.

7) to help boost a signal specifically to go into OD, before a fuzz or dist pedal, or after.

8) help me even out a wah pedal that had a slight hump in the sound when pedal travelled slowly. But that is just a variant of the above uses.

I have had compressors in ME units, a ED-2 Marshall compressor (like it a lot, still have it) and a Barber Tone Press (still getting used to it...like it, but it is more subtle and takes time for me to get how I want it).

7. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

I don't use comp nearly as much as I used to. I used to really like my old Boss CS-2, but it was "lost". I have a CS-3, but it has much more compression and white noise compared to the CS-2.
    I have the Barber and it's VERY quiet.

fyi, there are a lot of good mods for the CS-3 avail. ck out indyguitarist, etc...

8. Bradders

Bradders Member

For what it's worth......or what I'm worth perhaps?????.....I'm about to remove my Keeley comp from the board.

Compressions'a always been a black art to me and I thought the Keeley had helped me ......butI guess I'm still a dum(p)ster as far as this goes.

Great pedal, absolutely - just me and compression are not amatch made in heaven.

Sorry for being a heretic on this topic ........:(

9. AFCA

AFCA Guest

I've got an Analogman BiComp. Very versatile and works very nice! :dude

10. beatlenut

beatlenut Member

I just ordered a new DOD Milkbox compressor for $38.50 shipped. I figure for that price, I'd give it a shot.

11. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

Same here.

12. al carmichael

al carmichael Member

I'm a fan of the MXR DynaComp. Is it the most transparent compressor around? No. What it does for me is even my tone out and tame those transients. I play a Tele or a Strat into an Allen Old Flame, so there's a lot of brightness there. The DynaComp helps take the ice-pick stuff away while also providing nice sustain. For me, it works. It has a VERY slow release, which means its in squash mode even after you play your first chord.

I have a Boss CS-3 and don't care for it. The notes "pop" or splat on attack. It gets very annoying. Very fast release. There are mods for both compressors out there if you are going for boutique. Never owned the others.

13. Ryan

Ryan Member

Maxon CP-101. Not a squishy one, but it's nice for evening things out, boosting a bit. Pretty transparent, too.

14. glynn

glynn Member

I like the tone press. The blend kicks all kinds of compressed ass.

15. Frankenstrat2

Frankenstrat2 Member

See the concurrent thread on the BJF three knob pale green compressor (PGC)....

16. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

So, did we ever find out what you want the compressor to do?

17. beatlenut

beatlenut Member

I"m not the original poster, but my reply is:

" even out dynamics...like if I want to strum chords on my strat,
    especially open chords a little compression helps them ring out and sound even on all strings, etc."

18. oxtone

oxtone Member

Keeley Compressor - the best I've ever used.

I used to use a Carl Martin, which is very good, but this Keeley really gets the job done in a much smaller package.

19. uberschall

uberschall Supporting Member

I've used four, and I'd rate them as:

1. Barber Tone Press- favorite so far. Great for acoustic, too- sustain with nice clarity because of the blend control. The most set-and-forget comp I've used- it always sounds right.

2. Keeley- very thick and punchy, but even with the internal attack control, I couldn't get my attacks as clear and natural as the Barber. I was always accidently turning the knobs with my foot too.

3. Guyatone ST-3- sounds good with the blend switch on, but I was constantly tweaking the level and sustain; it never seemed to sound how it did last time I had it dialed.

4. Boss- a little noisy, sounded "like an effect," if that makes sense.

my 4 cents...

20. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

The Pale Green Compressor by BJFE. I haven't heard a better one. It's the only compressor that made me loose interest in my old script logo MXR DynaComp.