A Very Humble NGD

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Literally Elvis, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Literally Elvis

Literally Elvis Member

Ordinarily I wouldn't post a small purchase like this, but it's my first NGD in a very long time. Gotta say, it feels good. It's an Xaviere XV-550, with the Bigsby B70 and roller bridge combo from StewMac installed first thing. I have seven other guitars, five of which are solid body, dual humbucker variants of each other. They've even all got the same number of frets. I wanted a new guitar, but I wanted to get something that was different in basically every way from what I had, so I think this fits the bill nicely:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I like it. :) Hope you do too.

2. Ruraltom

Ruraltom Member

Looks great, does it play and sound nice?

3. Sidmore

Sidmore no talent hack Silver Supporting Member

looks killer, enjoy!

4. JDutch

JDutch Member

The guitar looks really nice and, at least on paper, the specs look great too. The listed prices I saw online are unbelievable. I don't think that any dealers near me carry these guitars. Would you mind letting us know what you think about the tone, quality, playability and fit and fitness? Is there any work you had, or are going to have, your tech perform? Thanks, and congratulations on your recent purchase!

5. Fab4ever

Fab4ever Member

Was thinking about doing the Bigsby and new bridge thing on my no-name LP Jr. copy. How do you like the StewMac parts?

6. Literally Elvis

Literally Elvis Member

Thank you all for the positive responses. :)

It sounds great to me. That said, it seems to require quite the volume increase to hear. I plug into Amplitube 3, and everything is set up for humbucker guitars without volume controls, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it or not.
    The prices come from the slave labor used to produce these guitars, unfortunately. I think the tone is great, but I was so busy getting it set up and strung (took me forever to learn how to properly string up that Bigsby) that I didn't have time to make clips. I'll make some tonight, and post them here for you guys.
    The Bigsby that StewMac sells is the real deal. The roller bridge was just short, width wise, of the bridge's installation, and took quite a bit of wrestling to get installed. That said, the roller bridge is not a requirement, so you can keep the stock bridge that you're happy with and install the Bigsby nonetheless.

I did have to do a bit of research to figure out how to remove the tailpiece bushings from the original bridge, so keep that in mind before you buy it.

7. AD_

AD_ Member

Nothing wrong with posting your NGD here, we all love seeing new guitars. Looks nice!

8. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

Congrats! It's a fine looking guitar.

9. Literally Elvis

Literally Elvis Member

Here's a demo of the aforementioned guitar.

Free MP3 download: fart.mp3

The first part is a clean demo, neck pickup only. The middle part is an overdriven sound, or my attempt at it. The last part is a high gain attempt, with some metal-ish riffing.

The metal part is where it fails the most. The overdriven sounds worse than it probably actually is. I can't seem to get a decent overdriven sound out of Amplitube for one reason or another. Next year's tax return will go to the purchase of a Mark V so I can finally be free of this damn program.

10. Ashe

Ashe Senior Member

why not plug through an amp, then run that through your recording software? going straight into amplitube will always sound bad.

edit: and the metal sound didn't sound too bad actually, kinda like all the other metal tones...

11. Literally Elvis

Literally Elvis Member

I sold my only amp when I bought Amplitube because, and I cannot stress this enough, I am a complete idiot.

I miss my old HRD 410 :'(