A Vibe unit to go with my Captain Coconut 2

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Python, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Python

Python Member

Greetings,
    I need you guys in the know to help me to decide which vibe unit would be the best one to "complement" my Captain Coconut 2."

I have spent the last 3 nights reading over everything I could find on this forum with respect to the various vibe units and I think I have narrowed it down to either the Megavibe or the Mojo Vibe.

I really like the vibe on my CC2 and intend on keeping it but also want another vibe that has a little more, uh, I guess umph to it. My problem is the same as everyone elses. No stores sell either of these so I have to buy one to try it out. I was all set to buy a Mojo Vibe but the retailer told me that I only had 48 hours to make up my mind. That might work if I could be guaranteed to get it on a Friday evening and have the entire weekend to check it out. If I had the pedal for 48 hours during the week, that would only give me a couple of hours to try it out since I have a full time job and sometimes work 10 hours a day. I need to try it out with my entire setup to see if it will work.

Anyway, since this isn't going to be possible, I thought I'd ask the forum and see if anyone has any suggestions as to which one might be a better addition to my CC2.

BTW, I play a lot of Hendrix music, particularly his clean songs. I have heard people say one sounds like Hendrix on BOG and the other is better for Woodstock but to be perfectly honest, I can't tell the difference on either album except the obvious Machine Gun.

Thanks for the help,
    Jim

p.s. I"m also torn between a Tim/Timmy or a Zendrive (neither of which I can hear before purchase.

2. Non-Digital Tom

Non-Digital Tom Member

Honestly, if you already have the Pro Vibe in the CC2, I don't see how another one could be anything but redundant. The Mojo Vibe is great - I have it, I love it! I've also had the Deja Vibe - that was great too. And I've had about 3 CC2s at various times - the Pro Vibe is great... and highly tweakable too. You should be able to get the sound you want from it.

Seriously, I'd spend the money on anything but another Vibe. Get a Red Witch Deluxe Moon Phaser - it's vibey without being a Vibe. Or even an old MXR Phase 45...

3. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

I've owned several high end ones and the mojovibe is my fave out of them.

4. drolling

drolling Member

WHaaat? I've heard nothing but rave's about Dave's stuff. I really think you'll be setting yourself up for dissappointment if you're expecting a dramatic difference w/another univibe clone.

I use an UltraVibe, myself (old version of the Mojo) and my search has ended, but remember, those classic tones were made from lots of ingredients (besides the player, obviously) - like a good strat, a dimed marshall, etc..

I use plently of boost & overdrive w/my vibe for those BOG tones.. Plenty of fuzz for Woodstock...

And I may be wrong here, but I don't think Jimi used a vibe for those cleaner ballads like 'Little Wing'. Wasn't it a real Leslie speaker, or one of those oil-can jobs, or a Fender Vibra-tone, or something?

5. exodus

exodus Member

I've had a few CC2 units as well (over time) and a few vibe units: sweetsound ultra vibe, mojo vibe, kr mega vibe, deja vibe, dunlop univibe, and of course the provibe in the CC2.

Of them all, the mega is my favorite, particularly for Hendrix stuff. But that is besides the point-- I agree with the other posts, if you already have the CC2, buy something else... or at least consider putting something else on your board.

The CC2 provibe is a great vibe and can be set to have more "umph" (by that I assume you mean deeper modulation/phase) than most other vibes out there. The pulse is more pronounced too. If you want more out of it on clean settings, put some kind of boost before the fuzz. (the vibe works well with the guitar volume turned down.)

6. gitpicker

gitpicker Member

+1 on the Red Witch Moon Phaser - will definitely give you a different flavor. Another couple of alternatives might be the MoFaux vibe, or the Lovepedal Vibe - both can be acquired for $150 or less. They are both very "vibey" pedals, but are different enough from the CC to give ou a different flavor. The Lovepedal vibe is especially cool IMO. I had a Mojo, and Moon Phaser, and the Lovepedal, and they are definitely three different animals, but all very cool. I have also heard some good things about the Shannon Vibe pedal, but I am not sure if he has any left.

I agree with the other posters - the vibe you already have is a great one, and although the Deja Vibe, Prescription Vibe, Mega Vibe, and Mojo Vibe are also great, I would not expect there to be a great deal of difference, at least not enough difference to justify the expense.

7. BmoreTele

BmoreTele Member

During a one month period I had the CC2, Mojo, Ultra, and the Voodoo Vibe.

The Mojo and Ultra are very similar, doh!

The CC2 Provibe is pretty close to the Mojo/Ultra, but the ECS and Center knobs give a little more detailed control.

The Voodoo is brighter than all of them, with more "cut."

I cannot see keeping two of these on the same board. Keeping two or more is part of GAS, but using them at the same time? I don't seee it.

BTW, I kept the Voodoo Vibe and I usually run a phaser after it - Moog, Red Witch, or Sobbat. Double LFO action is very cool. :AOK

8. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Supporting Member

as to your question, i'd say that the mojo is a bit more hi-fi and clear than the mega vibe. it brings to mind pink floyd more than hendrix/woodstock.

i happen to prefer the mojo, but that's just my taste. i think the clips of each are pretty representative - particularly the megavibe, which show off the pedal's grittyness.

but as others have mentioned, i don't think my first choice would be to spend my money on another vibe pedal. neither will sound world apart from the provibe - which is already very good. if you want something swirly to complement the provibe, i'd go for a chorus or phaser, or even a tremolo ... particularly if you're mainly using these in a band setting, where most of the differences between the vibe pedals will probably be masked anyway.

9. Wooley

Wooley Member

I agree with these others. I have a CC2 and a Deja Vibe (which is great), and the Pro-vibe on the CC2 may be the best and most versatile I've ever heard. you can really sculpt it to what you want in a way most others can't, but it takes some time to learn how to use it. However, it doesn't have as much of a phaser ("chorus") sound as some other models (including the Deja), if that is what you were thinking about. In that case, I would just run your phaser with the rate down into the CC2 when you want more of that. But you're not gonna find a better vibe, there just isn't one.

10. Python

Python Member

Thanks for the feedback, guys. That's probably some of the best advise I've ever gotten! Wow, I just saved $300 ... I will have to spend it on that Tim and/or Zendrive that I've been thinking about [​IMG]

Jim

11. mesabooger

mesabooger Member

What are the settings for your Pro-vibe? Dave Fox recommends the center knob at around 11 'oclock for some real whallop.

12. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Heck, for $300 you can have both if you can wait 5 months...;)

13. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

I've heard great great things about the KR, but hey, why not go a little different and get a Rotosphere or something like that, then you'd have a leslie tone to go to and the vibe tone, talk to Dave about making it more beefy, it might be that you just need some kind of clean volume boost just for the vibe, dave might be able to suggest something.

14. Python

Python Member

I usually have the Center AND the Width set at about 11:00. I think Dave likes to put the Width a little higher but at least for my CC2, that starts to sound a little seasick.

Jim