A vintage guitar at GC.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jollygreen, Dec 19, 2009.

1. jollygreen

jollygreen Member

It's at the Guitar Center in Tulsa. A 1966 ES 330. I thought it was a relic. Evenly distributed fineline cracks just underneath the surface. Yellowed binding. The nickel hardware significantly tarnished. Bigsby.

Then the guy told me it wasn't reliced. It was a vintage. And they want $3000 for it.

Man, I wish I were rich cause that was one cool looking guitar.

2. ggwwbb

ggwwbb Member

I've seen it several times and while its not a bad price, for the shape its in, its a little on the high side. But, yes, you are correct, it is cool looking!

3. lougio

lougio Supporting Member

4. usc96

usc96 Member

I don't know why, but this comment struck me as funny. :rimshot

This is in no way a criticism of the poster's comment. The whole relic thing has the world backwards. If it is a new guitar that was intentionally beat up, then some pay thousands and claim it's a wonderful relic job. If it is an original 60s guitar with actual mojo and battle scars, then we say it should be discounted for condition. :hide

5. ggwwbb

ggwwbb Member

No offense taken. I actually would agree with you 100%. The whole relic thing is kinda cool, but I don't personally get buying a new guitar that doesn't look new. As far as the ES330 goes, I'm strickly going by what the "value" is based on the VG Price Guide (take it for whatever thats worth in todays market), which lists these at a touch above that in excellent condition. This one isn't in excellent condition, its not beat to hell, but does have a really cool look to it, a nice an worn, loved look to it. I haven't played it, but if it plays as cool as it looks, then price wouldn't mean so much to me, if I were in the market for one.

6. jeffwith1f

jeffwith1f Member

most stores I know around here try to charge extra for the "mojo".
    nice try.