A volume pedal designed like the pitchfork. Pedal with true bypass on/off that uses expression pedal

Would you buy this?

• Yes, great idea

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • No, but great idea

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • No, other reason

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

walkingman

this is a pedal that I absolutely want. I hope it exists or someone makes it. It takes out the hassle of a true bypass looper and weird sounding buffer mods. Nice and simple, just like the ehx pitchfork... Only with volume swells instead of pitch.

downburst82

I know there are a couple boosters than let you control the volume with an expression. (vertex, moog mf boost)

minty901

I've thought about this as a way to keep the board compact. Just plug in an expression pedal and leave it to the side of the board when you want to do swells, then unplug it when you're done. Volume pedals take up loads of space and make pedalboard routing difficult. People make mini volume pedals as a solution but this affects the comfort of using it. I think an expression controlled volume box would be a better solution.

tubekingsley

The answer is... Chase Bliss Warped Vinyl or Wombtone with the volume ramped, and an expression pedal stuck in its side. The beauty is, you can set the pedal as a clean boost, or you can blend in other parameters for added spice. The ramp knob even shapes how the volume behaves. It does crazy good violin type swells, and you can use one of the Chase presets as your swell setting, and have two other settings at your disposal. No stereo outputs, though...

walkingman

The answer is... Chase Bliss Warped Vinyl or Wombtone with the volume ramped, and an expression pedal stuck in its side. The beauty is, you can set the pedal as a clean boost, or you can blend in other parameters for added spice. The ramp knob even shapes how the volume behaves. It does crazy good violin type swells, and you can use one of the Chase presets as your swell setting, and have two other settings at your disposal. No stereo outputs, though...
Thinking about it, any pedal that allows the expression pedal to control the volume should work. That being said, day warped vinyl must be the most buttery sweep goodness money can buy

Gibs210

Source audio's new one series dirt pedals would also do the trick, just configure one of the toggle switch positions (or one of the 2 channels) to the clean engine and plug and expression pedal in to control volume and you'd have a transparent volume control.

Or get something like the pog2 or some other slow gear clone and forget the volume pedal altogether. ;)

minty901

Source audio's new one series dirt pedals would also do the trick, just configure one of the toggle switch positions (or one of the 2 channels) to the clean engine and plug and expression pedal in to control volume and you'd have a transparent volume control.

Or get something like the pog2 or some other slow gear clone and forget the volume pedal altogether. ;)
Can the Vertigo do this do you know?

Kasdaddy

The nemesis can be used as a volume too if you set the mix to full dry. Vertigo can be used to do volume, I think you can set the mix to zero in a patch to avoid having to have trem with your volume.

Mr2D

Strymon Möbius will do this too using the pattern Trem machine configured correctly.

It's what I use!

Gibs210

Can the Vertigo do this do you know?
The nemesis can be used as a volume too if you set the mix to full dry. Vertigo can be used to do volume, I think you can set the mix to zero in a patch to avoid having to have trem with your volume.
Never tried with the vertigo, but it should, I set the lunar up with an expression to manually sweep the effect, so if you calibrated the vertigo to manually sweep through the effect (calibrate the expression, but don't turn any knobs, and it will will disable the LFO and use the expression pedal) and set the depth to max and use a sine wave and it should work like a volume, then you wouldn't have a tremolo effect like you would if you set the expression to control the output level.

minty901

Never tried with the vertigo, but it should, I set the lunar up with an expression to manually sweep the effect, so if you calibrated the vertigo to manually sweep through the effect (calibrate the expression, but don't turn any knobs, and it will will disable the LFO and use the expression pedal) and set the depth to max and use a sine wave and it should work like a volume, then you wouldn't have a tremolo effect like you would if you set the expression to control the output level.
what if i set expression to control output but just put the depth to 0?

anyway, i didnt realise you could manually sweep! ive been looking and hoping for a way to use wah but in stereo. if i can manually control the sweep of a phaser with the lunar that should be similar to using a wah pedal, no? i mean phaser and wah arent worlds apart in how they sound.

now im considering the lunar. shouldnt have been sleeping on this source audio hype​

Gibs210

what if i set expression to control output but just put the depth to 0?

anyway, i didnt realise you could manually sweep! ive been looking and hoping for a way to use wah but in stereo. if i can manually control the sweep of a phaser with the lunar that should be similar to using a wah pedal, no? i mean phaser and wah arent worlds apart in how they sound.

now im considering the lunar. shouldnt have been sleeping on this source audio hype
That would probably work as well, there's more than one way to skin a cat with these pedals.

I started paying attention when they announced the one series, and was tempted by the dimension and orbital a few times. They are great pedals! I own the vertigo, and now the LA lady overdrive (it was gifted to me and the other beta testers by source audio, thanks a lot guys!) and used the lunar and Gemini when I had the tourbox. They're like having the big box strymon units in a boss sized pedal. The shear versatility and options available is incredible, not to mention the sound quality. I'd go for hooking up an expression pedal to the lunar for manual sweeping, it's not quite wah-like, but it's a great alternative sound. I'm hoping for a one series filter pedal, or some filter voices that are compatible with the lunar/mercury/Gemini. That would be awesome! A one series reverb appears to be in the makings after the huge success of the nemesis.

tobereleased

Thinking about it, any pedal that allows the expression pedal to control the volume should work. That being said, day warped vinyl must be the most buttery sweep goodness money can buy
My most commonly used patch on my SY300 is a simple volume control, plus a switchable subtle vibrato.

I don't think I'd ever get a passive volume pedal. Active avoids the potential treble loss of a passive, and because (as you said) any pedal that allows an expression pedal to control volume would work, you can choose whatever option you think have the nicest effect on your base tone - or of cause has the most fun other things you can do. I like the SY300 for the fun other things it can do, but using the expression pedal as a volume control or as a low pass filter cutoff control sounds great for swells.

Kasdaddy

I've been eyeballing the sy-300 for awhile now. Still need to save money for the LA Lady too though!

It sounds like you like the sy-300. How is it for everyday noodling? I have a vintage microsynth that I loved for a month or so but now it just feels like I can't find an excuse to use it.

tobereleased

I've been eyeballing the sy-300 for awhile now. Still need to save money for the LA Lady too though!

It sounds like you like the sy-300. How is it for everyday noodling? I have a vintage microsynth that I loved for a month or so but now it just feels like I can't find an excuse to use it.
It's fantastic, but it does have a learning curve. At a basic level, you can use the factory provided patches for general noodling, but I found that I didn't like the vast majority of them. Once you start making your own patches, it's a lot more fun and inspirational. It also becomes quicker to get what you want out of it.

If you do get one, I would highly recommend also getting an expression pedal. Aside from the volume use (as appropriate for this thread), it really extends what you can do with the SY300. You can use it to control up to 3 parameters at once, including things like modulation depth, pitch shifting, panning, mixing different oscillators, and filter cutoff.

You can also latch some of the oscillators for fun. Here's a clip in which I latched two oscillators that were both running the same sequencer. One went through a high pass filter, the other through a low pass filter with the cutoff being controlled by the expression pedal. The third oscillator was pitch shifted down to do the bass notes.

jnepo1

Gold Supporting Member
The volume pedal mod is actually easy to do on most pedals like overdrives. It requires are TRS switched jack where if you insert an expression pedal, the TRS cable bypasses the effects volume pot and is therefore controlled by the expression pedal.

You can also see in the upper left hand corner a mod on a Providence Anadime Chorus. That mod is to control the speed of the chorus via an expression pedal.

tubekingsley

It seems that way to me. I agree, any pedal that allows expression controlled volume will work. But having actually succeeded in spades, with the warped.... Not hypothetical- it kills doing volume swells

Trending Topics