1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

A word about Tom Anderson Guitarworks.........

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by OldSchool, Mar 5, 2006.

1. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Lots of great guitars made today. Its very hard to choose between a Suhr or an Anderson or a Melacon or any of the number of fantasic small company hand made guitars out there today. Basically you look for what captures you..........a Top, a color , a neck back shape and go from there. Thats what I do anyways, you can't go wrong with any company But one thing I really really like about Tom Anderson that no other company offers is the excellent serial # search and the well kept record of exactly every option your guitar came with down to the strings it was equipped with. Others might keep records but none offer the simple just plug it in and search that the Anderson site has. What a simple and so effective tool for Anderson owners and perspective buyers.

Kudos Tom..........:AOK

2. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

+1

They may also have the best finishes in the biz

3. Liquid Quarter

Liquid Quarter Member

:AOK

I agree......I have four Andersons and the finishes are flawless.

My Translucent Teal HDTC always gets noticed for it's appearance and it's tone. Great guitars!

4. Kappy

Kappy Member

Great man, great company with great people, and great guitars. 'nuff said.

I've pretty much had an Anderson in heavy rotation since some time in late 1990. I just got my most recent one on Friday, a beautiful koa-topped HDT with a solid RW neck...my first custom ordered guitar.

5. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

very, VERY well built guitars....i LOVE my tele and could never part with it....great customer service as well, although i've never had an actual problem with mine whatsoever

6. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

Anderson?
    Dont even get me started.
    Tom is a top notch guy.

RC

7. Tone Disciple

Tone Disciple Gold Supporting Member

Totaly agree. Just today I called a store that had a used Anderson and got hold of a salesperson that I knew could not address all my questions about the guitar. Simply asked for the born on date off the back of the neck plate and did a search on the Anderson site for the neck profile fret size, scale and all other specs. Super feature of their site!

8. Drunkagain

Drunkagain Member

I agree. That is an awesome service. A couple of years back I was looking onto buying a use TA, and it was a very cool feature to go check things out using the SN.

9. Urkoman

Urkoman Member

Andersons are probably the best made guitars out there talking about craftmanship, but i´ve never liked their pickups/electronics at all.
    Replacing the pups (for me, of course)(well, the classic singles and the H1 H2+ combo is not bad) they´re killer.

10. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

My Hollow Cobra had one of the nicest quilt tops and finishes I've ever seen. Build quality and tone (3 mini-hums) were also first rate.

11. Tim

Tim Silver Supporting Member

Melancon also have a websearch for their guitars..... not as sophisticated as the Anderson site... but then we are talking a much lower volume of instruments.

12. Smokehouse

Smokehouse Member

+1 on a great company! I bought my first Anderson in S/N (11-11-88) and got to talk to Tom when I called, he even let me do a down payment and a C.O.D for the rest, and a return option if I wasn't happy with the guitar (they were very unknown in Texas at the time). How many guys would do that??

Smoke'

13. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Tom Anderson is a real innovator.

The "new" neck pocket on the Anderson necks and bodies is functionally improved, and is a genuine innovation in the electric guitar world.

You seen 'em? Go to the website and check it out. It's a brilliant design, and the one I played at the NAMM show played great and sounded great (it was NAMM, so it was a little hard to hear (GRIN))

The new neck pocket: It's a flat bottomed "V" shape. The neck and body lock together like never before - and with more contact area. The 2 bolt design is stronger, has more contact area, and completely eliminates the need for neck "chiropracting" when removing and reinstalling the neck. It just fits right every time. The back of the neck joint is beatuifully carved as well, and feels great.

It's really a superior design. Good Job by Anderson!

Dana Olsen

14. AnthonyL

AnthonyL Silver Supporting Member

Gerard is in the 300 - 400 range

15. BFC

BFC Supporting Member

I have two Classics on order with the new joint. Won't be here until June though.

16. kccheers

kccheers Member

Hey Justin, how goes the new Andy!

I have a new Cobra S Special with 2 P90s coming in May. Roy said it will have the new neck joint.

I picked up a new Hollow Cobra with H1 and H2 a few weeks back when I was at MSM, and it has the old neck joint. I will be curious to see how the new Neck joint is received as it starts showing up. If it is as good as on my Atom, I will be very happy.

Enjoy the new guitar!

Cheers from KC

17. Tim

Tim Silver Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Now you have seen another!! :D (That was an intentional derailment!!)

I think a few years ago, Gerard scaled back production to just making guitars himself again.... not sure of the production figures now.

18. bforest4

bforest4 Supporting Member

I have a swampash/maple neck anderson that I love the feel of, but not happy with the pickups, 2 single coils and an H2+, too modern 80's sounding. What pickups(either non-anderson or anderson) would you suggest to switch to for a more vintage vibe (vintage medium to bright and aggressive on the humbucker)? Could I still use my switcheroo system with non anderson pickups? How are Anderson's vintage V series single coils and do they work with the switcheroo?

19. lhallam

lhallam Member

Decided I needed a Tele cuz I never had one. Didn't want to spend much, just wanted to round out my collection.

Tried a bunch of Fenders, each one going up in price and better than the previous. I was ready to go for a limited edition when I asked to try an Anderson Hollow T.

Friggin gtr was sold the moment he put it into my hands. What a great neck and fretwork. It doesn't quite have that Tele twang but enough to keep me happy.

[​IMG]

20. Tom Gross

Tom Gross Supporting Member

+ a bunch.
    I have three.
    That is a great service.

The fretwork ain't too bad either.