A word about Tube Tape Echo maintenance.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Shemp, Nov 5, 2005.

1. Shemp

Shemp Member

I just changed the tape and felt cleaning arm in my TTE. Made a huge difference in sound quality.

That is all.

2. Non-Digital Tom

Non-Digital Tom Member

3. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

... after how many hrs. on the old ones?

best,
    Jon

4. Gotham City Blues

Gotham City Blues Member

Shemp, I asked this question before but got no replies. Did you notice if the echoes got louder and more strident when the tape seam passed across the heads? Any other TTE users feel free to reply. Thanks.

5. Shemp

Shemp Member

I 'm not sure Jon. I bought the machine used from J-Mo last spring. He was addicted to it, as am I, so it probably has several hundred hours on it.

6. Shemp

Shemp Member

Hmmm, I'll have to listen to see if I notice anything.

With the new tape the amount of hiss, mechanical cartridge sound and background "noise" has all but disappeared. Echoes are much sharper and clearer.

The tapes aren't cheap. 2 for $54, so hopefuilly this one will last a couple of years.

7. lv

lv Supporting Member

Shemp, how long does it take? Did you demag the heads as well?

The maintenance aspect has been the only thing keeping me from picking one of these up.

8. brent

brent Member

My experience was a pretty quick initial hit in performance and then it stayed really consistent for a good period of time, I replaced the tape after about 4 months but I didn't demag the heads. I sold it a couple months later but would really like to buy another.

9. Gotham City Blues

Gotham City Blues Member

I've had mine for about 6 months without issues. I've changed tape cartridges, (total of 3-4 minutes) and cleaned the heads and pinch roller about 5-10 minutes. I just noticed that lately when I play, the machine would work perfectly but then the echoes would suddenly get LOUD, then back to where I had the level set. This cycle would repeat every couple of minutes of playing. I took the top off and noticed that it would always occur just as the tape seam passed across the record/playbackheads. I'll try switching tapes again, maybe that will solve the problem.

Seems like perfect timing for HC to remove the Fulltone reviews. :(